Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Debt

Options
  • 10-03-2016 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I was involved in a crash 6 years ago next month. The car we had was on finance. the insurance covered 2/3 cost of the car. we have not been in a position to pay the remaining €6.000 back. We have explained the car was a write off as they have asked for the keys and the car back. How long can they pursue us. I am on disability partly due to the crash.
    many thanks :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

where is the car now ? was it really written off or sold on
    what is the registration number ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 glynandpam

the car was written off as I had to be cut out of it. it went for scrap I never seen it after the crash they had to cut the driver side post between drivers door a behind drivers door to get me out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Until you declare bankruptsy I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Why wouldn't you pay back what you owe?

If you can afford sky you can afford to pay back a debt

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86218546&postcount=812
    glynandpam wrote: »
    I just got my next bill knocked down to €25 and then the next 9 months for €75
    I have full package inc sports movies HD and multiroom so a saving of over €270 in 9 months I'm happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 35 glynandpam

cruizer101 wrote: »

Dates (26-08-2013, 23:07)

I have not had sky in over a year Thanks for your concern though!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I was involved in a crash 6 years ago next month. The car we had was on finance. the insurance covered 2/3 cost of the car. we have not been in a position to pay the remaining €6.000 back. We have explained the car was a write off as they have asked for the keys and the car back. How long can they pursue us. I am on disability partly due to the crash.

Who scrapped the car, did you get any kind of documentation, certificate of destruction etc?

What did the insurance company say when you told them the car had been scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

https://www.payplan.com/2012/03/20/how-long-can-my-creditors-chase-me/

I know that my friend had something similar and after nearly 6
    years a debt collector left her a note.
    She rang and explained her case, and because she started up
    communications, The 6 years started all over again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

dollyk wrote: »

That's a UK site covering UK legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,821 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was there a balloon payment at the end missed or did you miss out on numerous monthly finance amounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Graham wrote: »
    That's a UK site covering UK legislation.
    Irish law contains the same rules as English law regarding the statute of limitations of debts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Irish law contains the same rules as English law regarding the statute of limitations of debts.

The time limitation stature resets from the date of the most recent correspondence between the parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

davo10 wrote: »
    The time limitation stature resets from the date of the most recent correspondence between the parties.
    Yes, this is the case in both Irish and English law.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/help-with-debt/how-to-dispute-a-credit-debt/time-limits-for-recovering-debt-in-court/

OP so long as you don't acknowledge the debt the creditor has limited options. They have up to 6 years from your last communication to take you to court and get a judgement. After that time they are barred from taking you to court so long as you continue to not acknowledge the debt. They can continue to ask you to repay the debt and if at anytime you do communicate with them then the barring ends (the cycle restarts) and they have another 6 years to take you to court.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Op has told the debt collectors that they don't have the car etc so the 6 years has already reset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Chow was the insurance payout €6k less than the outstanding loan amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Wow. So helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

garhjw wrote: »
    Chow was the insurance payout €6k less than the outstanding loan amount?

Loan outstanding can easily be more than market value, especially if you're not long into the agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

sadie1502 wrote: »
    Wow. So helpful.

The OP said they have not been a position to pay back the 6000, the fact is if they have been paying for a tv subscription service they have disposable income which could have gone towards paying back the debt.
    It may not be helpful, it may not be nice, but it is a simple fact and when that debt does not get paid by the person who owes it someone else ends up paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

The OP said they have not been a position to pay back the 6000, the fact is if they have been paying for a tv subscription service they have disposable income which could have gone towards paying back the debt.
    It may not be helpful, it may not be nice, but it is a simple fact and when that debt does not get paid by the person who owes it someone else ends up paying for it.
    Ignoring the fact that the OP responded stating that they haven't had Sky in over a year? Pulling up a comment from 2013 is really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,035 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ignoring the fact that the OP responded stating that they haven't had Sky in over a year? Pulling up a comment from 2013 is really helpful.

It was during the 6 years, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Did you really go search through that lad's post history for that?

Miserable and shameful in equal doses

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Firstly; hope there were no long term health related consequences of the accident.. Having to be cut out is no joke.

Secondly 6 years is a long time - you must have had correspondence in the meanwhile? Did you engage with the lender? Seek to have the debt frozen and enter into a fixed repayment plan that would take into account your circumstances?

However, had the car not been wrecked, would you have been in a position to satisfy the original finance agreement? Why did the car crash impact your ability to repay?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Yes but that was three years ago they posted about Sky. What did you do trawl through all their posts just to catch them out. Intentionally trying to catch them out. So to me that's not helpful. The post is three years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

had a similar prob yrs ago in england ,car was stolen for parts, was on finance insurance paid market value for car about six grand in difference had to pay the six back nearly killed me paying for a car i didt have anymore but i did get the apr back the finance front loaded the apr on loan ,if ur in contact offer to pay small amount back weekly they will normally send you out a a form thats looks at your bills etc and your incomings and base the repayment on that ,,as for the keys etc when it happened to me the car was scraped and the insurance sent the money to the fiance comp ,,best of luck horrible situtation to be in but easily sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭cml387

I just wonder at the larger story here.

Many cars are bought on PCP plans these days, and part of the deal is the value of the car at the end of the contract.
    This is an assumed value based usually on a maximum allowed mileage but, suppose the car was in an accident and repaired.

Is the assumed value of the car affected by the accident repair, and leave the owner liable to compensate the difference?

Advertisement