If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading speakers/subwoofer

Options
  • 10-03-2016 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

Hi I bought a Sony STRD550 AV receiver from you late last year as it has the capability to play everything through the speakers that is displayed on my tv through the HDMI ARC feature which my previous system could not do (TV, Netflix, PS4, YouTube, USB Connected devices, it all works)

Speaking of my old system, this is a link to it below and I am still using the speakers that came with it and I am now looking at making an upgrade. Connectivity wise the Sony AV receiver is miles ahead but it is only as good as its weakest link and at the moment I believe that weak link is the speakers from the old system, linked below, you might be able to tell what they are from the specs in the link

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/HTS3020_05/5.1-home-theatre

Now, I have no subwoofer connected either to my STRD550 so my question is, what will I get best initial improvement from, adding a subwoofer or replacing the speakers. Or both?

I don't want to spend massive money but I dont want to buy anything cheap either that will not be a noticeable improvement. 

So, good people at richersounds, what would you suggest I do?
    Have a look and see if you can tell the quality of speakers I have at the moment and what would be a decent step up

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

bmwguy wrote: »
    Hi I bought a Sony STRD550 AV receiver from you late last year as it has the capability to play everything through the speakers that is displayed on my tv through the HDMI ARC feature which my previous system could not do (TV, Netflix, PS4, YouTube, USB Connected devices, it all works)

Speaking of my old system, this is a link to it below and I am still using the speakers that came with it and I am now looking at making an upgrade. Connectivity wise the Sony AV receiver is miles ahead but it is only as good as its weakest link and at the moment I believe that weak link is the speakers from the old system, linked below, you might be able to tell what they are from the specs in the link

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/HTS3020_05/5.1-home-theatre

Now, I have no subwoofer connected either to my STRD550 so my question is, what will I get best initial improvement from, adding a subwoofer or replacing the speakers. Or both?

I don't want to spend massive money but I dont want to buy anything cheap either that will not be a noticeable improvement. 

So, good people at richersounds, what would you suggest I do?
    Have a look and see if you can tell the quality of speakers I have at the moment and what would be a decent step up

Thanks
    Hi Bmwguy, thanks for your post

If you were replacing, to be honest most satellite speakers come as a package with a subwoofer included

One pack I know that works well with the Sony would be the Wharfedale DX1 pack - http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/wharfedale/dx1-hcp/whar-dx1 - which we have available at £279/€399

For something a little lower down, the Tannoy TFX 5.1 pack - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12034-tfx-51.aspx at £189/€259 are worth a look

Have a look at these and let me know if you have any other enquiries

Brian

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.