Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Mad cagers out in full force yesterday

• 10-03-2016 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Having read the story of the young lad killed yesterday I thought I would post this. Yesterday I had two cars almost hit me. Both are in the short clip below.

It really bugs me the way people just plain dont look behind them.

Cagers gonna cage I guess.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You ok hun?

There's nothing that bad in there. The micra should've indicated, but you were close enough to their arse anyway, so you still probably would've been giving out.

The other one on the motorway had their head in the clouds alright, but you made sure everyone else knew about it with the hand thrown up to the sky, "look what I've to deal with" as if you've never made a mistake in your life.

If it's sympathy you're after then lose the attitude and don't be calling all car drivers cagers just because you'd a little boo-boo where no-one was even hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Stephenc66

The second incident was so close, and the driver of that car had lots of time to see you driver just not aware of their surroundings you were very lucky.

Not a biker and in this case I reckon the driver just wasn't looking at all but has any one else noticed that it would appear that on motorways/dual carriageways an indicator is no longer seen as a signal of intent but as a "right of way"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

You ok hun?

There's nothing that bad in there. The micra should've indicated, but you were close enough to their arse anyway, so you still probably would've been giving out.

The other one on the motorway had their head in the clouds alright, but you made sure everyone else knew about it with the hand thrown up to the sky, "look what I've to deal with" as if you've never made a mistake in your life.

If it's sympathy you're after then lose the attitude and don't be calling all car drivers cagers just because you'd a little boo-boo where no-one was even hurt.

I think its clear who has the attitude mate.

And perhaps you are a blind cager yourself (All car drivers are cagers by the very definition) as you completely missed the fact that there is a no right turn sign for the micra.

I wonder if all your 3000+ posts are as insightful. Its incidents like these two that kill bikers. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Ok. Well I hope you find the validation that you're seeking to repair your tortured soul. God speed.

Ok. Well I hope you find the validation that you're seeking to repair your tortured soul. God speed.

Just as I suspected , another great contribution.

Hurry along back to AH. I am sure they miss your clever wit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Those incidents are easily avoidable for you.

Riding up the micras ass,
    back off and you won't have a problem.
    Traffic is moving and your stuck on his ass looking to overtake.

Also the second clip you can see whats gonna happen but make no effort to back off or move over to right more....just on the off chance they don't here you crying and smash into you.

Ride like nobody can see you.
    Don't ride like everybody should see you. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Second one is fair enough, not your fault, but where was your escape route? Lesson learned: always have an escape route.

First one, I have to say was totally avoidable. I am always assuming that the bell end will turn right and not be that close in case they do. Lesson learned: people's stupidity is predictable.

Of course technically you are not to blame at all for both. But the aim of the game is survival. You need to realise how to affect these types of situations to minimise the risk.

Not having a go, just trying to help. Ride safe.

XsApollo wrote: »
    Those incidents are easily avoidable for you.

Riding up the micras ass,
    back off and you won't have a problem.
    Traffic is moving and your stuck on his ass looking to overtake.

Also the second clip you can see whats gonna happen but make no effort to back off or move over to right more....just on the off chance they don't here you crying and smash into you.

Ride like nobody can see you.
    Don't ride like everybody should see you. :-)

Granted it looks like I am close to the Micra. In reality I am not really. Wide angle lens on the gopro gives the effect.

And on the second clip. Its not obvious that she was going to come into lane 3, and when she did I was already along side her, regardless , I have right of way. Completely her fault if there was an accident.

Believe me, at 100kph I would have stayed out of her way had I known she was going to blindly changed lanes. Thats a life changing accident if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭kirving

There's no point being right if you're dead.

In both cases the car driver was in the wrong as in the case of most bike/car accidents, but in both cases, you have put yourself in that dangerous position.

In the second case, I would say deliberately. You moved towards the left of your lane and into the drivers blindspot, saw the manoeuvre about to take place, beeped, and kept going, before beeping again.

You see the same kind of thing from cyclists with cameras, putting themselves into precarious positions in the hope of catching out a driver, and while they too may have the law on their side, physics is on the side of the car driver.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Tzardine wrote: »
    Granted it looks like I am close to the Micra. In reality I am not really. Wide angle lens on the gopro gives the effect.

And on the second clip. Its not obvious that she was going to come into lane 3, and when she did I was already along side her, regardless , I have right of way. Completely her fault if there was an accident.

Believe me, at 100kph I would have stayed out of her way had I known she was going to blindly changed lanes. Thats a life changing accident if it happens.

I understand you have right of way and your not wrong.
    It Won't help you when they smash into you.
    The micra you were in the wrong position on the road.
    Why are you there if traffic is moving?
    I was never in that position behind a car until I made eye contact with the driver.

The second clip you had your finger on the horn getting ready.

Be under the assumption that these fools don't know your there and both those incidents wouldn't have happened.

• Advertisement

IYou moved towards the left of your lane and into the drivers blindspot, saw the manoeuvre about to take place, beeped, and kept going, before beeping again.
    r.

Thats not actually the case. If you look at the clip again you will see that overtake the BMW and am coming back into lane 2. You can see I indicate and shoulder check.

The car starts to move into the lane too so I bail out of the move and go back into lane 3. The beep is to let her know I am there. She then moves into lane 3 anyway. If you look at the road markings you will see how far to the right I go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

First one I'd have to give you the blame unfortunately and if there had been an accident and you showed that footage I reckon an insurance company would be looking to apportion a fair share of the blame to you as well. Overtaking (or attempting to) on a junction is rarely a good idea. 6th sense should have given you an idea that was going to happen anyway.

Second one is 100% her fault. I'd love to know where she was going as the 'next car up' was miles away so she seemed to be planning her overtaking a bit early !!

I'm of the opinion that car drivers don't see bikes basically because they're not looking for them. It's a bit like if I hand you a photo with 100 people and ask you how many are wearing blue jumpers you'll tell me 23 or whatever. If I take the photo off you then and ask you how many were wearing red most likely you won't be able to tell me - because you weren't looking for them !!
    When car drivers look to see if there's 'anything' coming you can translate that to 'any cars/trucks/busses coming. Bikes never seem to enter the equation. When bikers look to see if there's 'anything' coming it literally means anything... big, small, fast or slow purely because that's the way bikers tend to think. Everything is a danger and once you recognise that and drive defensively it should keep you safe the majority of the time.

Tis one of those things where the details can be argued ad naseum. You are in the right OP, the judge will side with you.

But if you don't accept that you wouldn't be in those situations with better road craft on YOUR part then you will keep getting in them. You are the loser in all accidents at the end of the day.

First one I'd have to give you the blame unfortunately and if there had been an accident and you showed that footage I reckon an insurance company would be looking to apportion a fair share of the blame to you as well.

As there is no right turn at that junction I dont think I would need to worry about any blame coming my way.

I do take your points and appreciate the advice though.

As there is no right turn at that junction I dont think I would need to worry about any blame coming my way.

I do take your points and appreciate the advice though.

There is a right turn though. There is no wall blocking the way for the right turn. There are no land mines. If it can go wrong, it will. Predict the illegal right turn and your blood pressure will be lower on the bike :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

The go pro's while good give a slightly distorted view. Easy saying after the event but the micra looked to be nervous/not concentrating/liable to do something stupid.
    The second one was a clear case of let's cross 2 lanes of traffic for no apparent reason which seems to be rife along any 3 lane road these days.
    People need to start paying attention while they're driving and get their heads out of their arses. More worried about what's happening on fb than the life or death consequences in front of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You have a real problem, your first instinct is to lay on the horn and not take evasive action. Your going to get pancaked some day and that horn isn't going to do **** for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I have a car and bike and in my opinion the first "incident" you are both at fault. You are on the wrong side of the road. You have to expect someone will do something like that.
    The second one is not your fault but I don't think there was any intent on the driver. Just not paying attention.

Also, someone mentioned earlier, I have noticed a few times that if people put on their indicator they think it's a right of way. I've had two fingers shown to me once when someone on a motorway put on their indicator on the left lane while I was beside them and they could not get into my lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Funny to see, but don't become one of those guys that puts near misses onto his youtube channel, like those knobend cyclists!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Think a few IBT lessons and road positioning lessons with an instructor wouldnt go astray here.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

First one, yeah, my first reaction was "Overtaking in a junction is almost always bad craic.". Stupid turn from them, but I'd rather be wrong and alive than right and dead.

Second one was bananas and tbh I probably would jammed on, which at that speed is dangerous enough. Or poured it on to get ahead. I'd never rely on the horn though, it's more of an after the fact thing.

I think in both cases you're getting a bit of flak because in both cases you're not conforming to the "I am invisible on a road full of idiots" school of thought. First clip, driver's an idiot, assume they'll do anything including breaking a red or going right. Second clip, driver's an idiot and you're relying on your horn to prevent the lane change completing.

I realise this isn't why you posted the video, but driving critique is a national pastime for bikers :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

She was obviously testing you and looks like you passed with a big thumbs up!

y9KQmcc.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I think a lot of Gopro bikers think that they are in some way better protected than a non user and will always get the backing of other bikers even when they feel they're being shat on...
    IMO..if you had hit the micra you'd be 100% wrong,wrong side of road,overtaking at a junction and mostly because you really should have used common sense..
    Second one, it was clear from the vid that she didn't know where she was going,her view of you was probably impaired as you passed the bmw. .as said previously she wasn't looking for a bike..she genuinely didn't see you until it was too late..
    I witnessed exactly the same incident but with a car in your position, luckily the guy had the grass verge before the crash barrier to escape to...frightening to see at speed..
    BTW..just say car drivers instead of "cagers".....it's more adult..;)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Second incident is entirely the cager's fault, they rarely check their blind spots.
    Most cage drivers don't know what a 'blind spot' even is.

I prefer cagers thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

For sure.

''Cagers'' or 'Cage' to describe a car sounds fucking retarded.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Buswald

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Plus she had no reason at all to be going into the middle lane let alone into the passing lane, the cars in front of her were miles away

First incident you should have been further back, asking for trouble even if car is at fault.

Second incident is pure madness, obviously car is completely at fault but why didn't you brake when you saw them moving in or hit the gas and get yourself out of the situation.

As someone else mentioned first reaction is the horn, when it should be getting out of the situation. that's not good IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

First incident you should have been further back, asking for trouble even if car is at fault.

Second incident is pure madness, obviously car is completely at fault but why didn't you brake when you saw them moving in or hit the gas and get yourself out of the situation.

As someone else mentioned first reaction is the horn, when it should be getting out of the situation. that's not good IMO.

My first reaction is to pull the sawn-off from the saddle back .

Picture terminator 2

Advertisement