Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crufts 2016

• 10-03-2016 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭

Missed the start of the highlights this evening, but saw them talking about "designer" breeds and how it's such pot luck and how they're hugely exploited by puppy farms.

Watching the utility group final now, I always think it's a mish mash of a group. Dogs that don't really fit into any other group so are lumped together to compete against each other.

Any of the regular posters going over or showing this year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Heading on Saturday! Not showing this year though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Is it the judge getting in the faces of the toy dogs that are putting some of them on edge? They mentioned the chinese crested that was terrified on the table but the italian greyhound wasn't far behind him.

Is it the judge getting in the faces of the toy dogs that are putting some of them on edge? They mentioned the chinese crested that was terrified on the table but the italian greyhound wasn't far behind him.

Hard to know. Some very suspect temperaments in both groups but having said that some are very young dogs so probably a bit over awed. I'm nearly sure the Pom snapped at the judge.

When I am judging temperament is very important. I am sure some otherwise nice dogs have ruined their chances

She seemed to be making a point of trying to kiss them though!

Grrrr, didn't want the Peke to win, loved the italian greyhound or the havenese. I loved the chow chow pup in the utility group, he's fab for such a young dog.

She seemed to be making a point of trying to kiss them though!

Grrrr, didn't want the Peke to win, loved the italian greyhound or the havenese. I loved the chow chow pup in the utility group, he's fab for such a young dog.

Me neither. No matter how well a dog is constructed I want to see some show in the Show Dog & that Peke had none. In face he did not want to move around the ring. I loved the Chow Chow too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Chow chow was fab and only a baby. Loved the spitz klein too and it won!! Wasn't overly gone on the toy short list. Wasn't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Hey! Spoiler alert! :P

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

VonVix wrote: »
    Hey! Spoiler alert! :P

Oops sorry. Thought everyone was watching it.:eek:

Lol it's okay, it's the problem when you work late. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

This will be the first year since I've known crufts was televised not watching it as it happens! I'm either going to have to find a way to watch it online or else avoid boards/doggy people on Facebook til Monday!! :pac:

• Advertisement

This will be the first year since I've known crufts was televised not watching it as it happens! I'm either going to have to find a way to watch it online or else avoid boards/doggy people on Facebook til Monday!! :pac:

Youtube! They show it live on Youtube, and later on they upload the full show on their Crufts channel.

Youtube! They show it live on Youtube, and later on they upload the full show on their Crufts channel.

Oh excellent! Hopefully my OH won't mind me being glued to the laptop all weekend :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

What station is it on and what time does it start on the tele tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

What station is it on and what time does it start on the tele tonight?
    Channel 4 730pm http://www.channel4.com/tv-guide

3 setters in the shortlist. Go Gordon!!

3 setters in the shortlist. Go Gordon!!

I'm judging these later in the year. Some really lovely Gundog breeds in that group.

Knine wrote: »
    I'm judging these later in the year. Some really lovely Gundog breeds in that group.

The only one that I was sad that didn't get shortlisted was the Irish Water Spaniel. They're another breed that really appeal to me. They remind me of setter temperament as they're a bit giddy and I love their silly looking curly (Kevin Keegan perm!) coat.

The only one that I was sad that didn't get shortlisted was the Irish Water Spaniel. They're another breed that really appeal to me. They remind me of setter temperament as they're a bit giddy and I love their silly looking curly (Kevin Keegan perm!) coat.

They are a lovely breed. Real Clowns & with a happy personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've only met a couple but they're definitely on my list for if I'm ever in the position to get a puppy. They're sooooo soft.

Noel Fitzpatrick has been at the just for men :P

• Advertisement

2 Irish dogs were in the working group - The Hovavart & The Dane.

The mastiff was HUGE! Or maybe the owner was small:P.
    Knine the winner has your dogs name!

The mastiff was HUGE! Or maybe the owner was small:P.
    Knine the winner has your dogs name!

Lol we spotted that!

Was it the neo who was carrying his lead in his mouth? Too cute!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Woohoo the pastoral group :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

God that GSD looks horrid with the roach back :(

Stheno wrote: »
    God that GSD looks horrid with the roach back :(

Noted we never seen her move

Noted we never seen her move

Actually that just struck me now! Shame to see that extreme shape

Ah the Sammy handler would bring a tear to your eye!

• Advertisement

She was great wasn't she!

Lol, of course I wanted the Sheltie to win but would have been just as happy if the wee girl had got it.

Stheno wrote: »
    She was great wasn't she!

I know! God love her, the dog was nearly as tall as her, she had to hold the lead over her head!:D

Many Juniors are better handlers then the adults as their training & competition classes are much harder! It is all about their handling skills rather then the dog. My own daughter competes & has done really well. I may retire handling soon lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Just saw the German Shepard running on the live feed thing on their YouTube. German Shepard is at about 3hrs 27mins.

That poor dog. I can't believe how impaired and wobbly German Shepards look :(

Just saw the German Shepard running on the live feed thing on their YouTube. German Shepard is at about 3hrs 27mins.

That poor dog. I can't believe how impaired and wobbly German Shepards look :(

I like the old style shepherds with the straighter back tbh.

I've had three, one was only three legged. The other two both died in their sleep at age six and nine :( Just seem to have become a frail breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

I hate, hate that in GSDs. Historically a beautiful working dog, now reduced to mere pain. How anyone can think this is beautiful is beyond me. I for one thinks it looks hideous. Are all reputable pedigree GSDs breeders doing this or are they starting to straighten the back through breeding.

I hate, hate that in GSDs. Historically a beautiful working dog, now reduced to mere pain. How anyone can think this is beautiful is beyond me. I for one thinks it looks hideous. Are all reputable pedigree GSDs breeders doing this or are they starting to straighten the back through breeding.

There is a FB thread on Exhibitors Voice & Choice & it would seem everyone agrees with us with the exception of one poster. The bitch was also nervous

Dunno tbh, my last two were rescues.

I have a 'slopey' GSD, but god that GSD looked awful, don't like the pronounced roach back, my boy isn't like that at all, seemingly jittery in personality as well.

The judge who picked the Gordon Setter as her winner is the sister of one of his Co Owners.........

• Advertisement

I have a 'slopey' GSD, but god that GSD looked awful, don't like the pronounced roach back, my boy isn't like that at all, seemingly jittery in personality as well.

Yeah the dog seemed nervous full stop.
    The judge who picked the Gordon Setter as her winner is the sister of one of his Co Owners.........

Would that be controversial in the judging world?

That's a touch controversial. :eek:

That's a touch controversial. :eek:

Yes I would have thought so. Now I am actually a group 7 judge & I thought he was lovely although I did not get my hands on him.

You see my dogs are mostly Co Owned. If the other owner is even judging different breeds altogether then I don't enter the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Yes I would have thought so. Now I am actually a group 7 judge & I thought he was lovely although I did not get my hands on him.

You see my dogs are mostly Co Owned. If the other owner is even judging different breeds altogether then I don't enter the show.

Just curious..

What do you mean by co-owned?

Do the dogs live with both owners at different times or how does it work?

I think the Irish vet mentioned that his dog was also co-owned with his practice nurse, but that's the first time i ever really heard of the concept..

I suppose it would be a great idea for busy people who wouldn't otherwise be able to keep dogs, as long as it didn't unsettle the dogs too much..

I think the two instances of co-ownership you mentioned are different. I think that vet's dog might be a rescue and he meant in terms of time spent with the dog. I think he often sleeps at his clinic over night so his dog probably goes home with the nurse at night and is at the clinic during the day.

Co-ownership in show dogs is slightly different. The breeders I got my dog from, their dogs are co-owned between father and daughter who live in the same house. Both their names are attached to the kennel name. I think in most cases of co-ownership where the owner's live separately the dog normally resides with one owner while both names are on the registration documents so both have ownership of any pups etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just catching up on last nights and I'd bet my bottom dollar that the dog who won the agility never touched the contact on the A-frame.

kylith wrote: »
    Just catching up on last nights and I'd bet my bottom dollar that the dog who won the agility never touched the contact on the A-frame.

No it definitely did not. We noticed that yesterday. I would say the 2nd placed is not happy.

AJ has explained very well how co-ownership works

Feck sake, my friend rang me just as they started talking about the GSD. What did they say about the movement?

Feck sake, my friend rang me just as they started talking about the GSD. What did they say about the movement?

They said the front end didn't know what the back end was doing also it's temperament was such that the judge couldn't lay hands on it.

The kennel club woman said they have the power to remove the breed from competitions but hoped it wouldn't come to that and that breed judges would learn from this year.

As the little Westie won the terrier group. I really hope she doesn't win best in show.

• Advertisement
Advertisement