Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Time Increased without Extra Pay

Options
  • 10-03-2016 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I'm hoping someone can offer some advise with my current situation.

Since I started my current job in 2013, my working hours were 37.5 hours a week or 9-5.30 daily. The employee handbook I received when I started stated clearly that I am required to do a 37.5 hour working week.

However, in November 2015 we were called in by our director to advise that our working hours are now 9-6. We were all a bit taken back so didn't say anything initially. I emailed HR and explained that the employee handbook I received stated 37.5 hours. They replied back saying I must have been given an outdated handbook and the most up to date handbook does not state working hours.

I'm just wondering where I stand? I don't want to work this extra half hour every day, especially without extra pay. But I don't want to be an awkward employee either

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

What does it say in your employment contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

a few questions to clarify:

are you on a salary/hourly paid
    what reason did they give for extending your hours

tbh it doesn't really matter what the handbook says its more your contract, open there will be a caveat for your weekly working hours will be 37.5 however you may be required to work overtime or blaaa

then you need to review your options:

do you like your job
    does working a half an hour extra effect your life in any way (picking kids up from minders, clubs you have joined etc)
    are your breaks paid and does this cover the extra half hour

the best case is that you approach HR with your handbook (a copy of the one you were given dont give them the original) and your contract, contracts cant be changed without consent, did you sign anything at the meeting with the director agreeing to it?

Wa sit stated that you would not be paid for it. If you are on salary you have to decide how important it is to you, it also depends on the job, alot of office workers stay late or come in early to get work done its part of the job unfortunately as companies get leaner this is also effectively working unpaid.

Weight up your options but defo approach HR and ask them to go though it with you.

Advertisement