Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risco/GSD/SPC for retrofit?

Options
  • 11-03-2016 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I'm about to upgrade an old hardwired system (a HillClare!) to a hybrid (and re-use the old hardwired zones - there are 6 including E/E and panic but I'd like to split at least one of those into two for a total of 7 - but possibly 8).

Panel and all wiring is currently located in an upstairs hotpress so that is where new panel would go, therefore I need a remote keypad for the entryway. (i.e. having the keypad on the panel in the hotpress (like the GSD) would be pointless - in such a case I'd just have to buy another keypad...).

"Wishlist":

I want to add wireless smokes and perhaps one or two more (wireless) zones. - must be hybrid..

It MUST be able to connect to the internet through the house's WiFi (hardwiring is not an option).

I want FREE remote access/notifications via an iphone/android app. (I was about to go with HKC, but from what I see here, they charge for the app itself plus monthly service for even the most basic notifications...)

I would LIKE to be able to remotely administer the panel - although this is not 100% necessary.

I MAY add a GSM card with SMS support at a later stage as backup to WiFi/internet- so the panel would need to be able to support this without having to remove the likes of the WiFi card or any zone expansion board (if it happened to have them)

I'm not too fussy about the manufacturer, but total cost (i.e. including any add-on boards such as Wifi, or extra keypads) is a factor.

So my choices for now seem to be:

SPC - Not sure if it supports WiFi - also I read somewhere about there not being any wireless shock/contacts available (or was this just at the start when Siemens took over)??? I've worked with SigNET (SPC predecessor) in the past..

GSD - looks good but the keypad is on the panel so I'd need to buy a separate one for the entry way. At the moment it looks like 7 hardwired zones is the max. Also, while it provides (free) notification and arm/disarm via an app, I'm not sure if it allows remote config.

Risco - I know nothing about it other than it's hybrid and apparently supports free internet notification. Not sure about remote config, Wifi, no of hardwired zones, cost etc..

Any pointers appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Spc would be the first choice. There is no direct WiFi option but we have used access points or power line adapters and both work very well.
    There are no wireless shocks for Siemens but you can use 3rd party devices through the likes of a quick bridge receiver.
    You could use GSD with a wired arming station or wireless keyfobs.
    I would not recommend Risco at this time as they have still not implemented wired zones with analyzing for shock sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Pauley2

Excellent - thanks so much, I never even thought of using Powerline ethernet adapters for an alarm system.

I'm surprised that Siemens still don't have their own wireless shocks - I'm not sure what a QuickBridge is.. but how about the Visonics you mentioned in your other reply to me today re my SigNET panel and its possible upgrade to SPC? (or was that based on it keeping the older SigNET wireless card in it?)

Tx again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Siemens /Vanderbilt are not going to develop wireless shock sensors. They are a global company now and looking at the market as a whole there are only a few countries who use shock sensors.
    A quick bridge receiver is a standalone wireless receiver that gives an output to connect to any wired panel inputs.

Advertisement