Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

colitis

• 11-03-2016 9:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone can offer some advice
    My basset is almost 9, approx 1 year old developed colitis has had several incidents over the years but I have always known what the triggers were so I was never fazed by them
    In Jan this year he had a really bad flare from antibiotics, first flare in 3/4 years......now I have been up half the night with him and a rumbly tummy, no actual mucussy stools yet but a very miserable boy
    Would it be common that colitis gets worse as they age? I really don't fancy him having steroids again so soon 😕

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Hi liquoriceall.

Sorry to hear about your basset woes. I have 2 Shih Tzus, both used to suffer from colitis. Diet changes didn't seem to help much and if anything made it worse. A Vet friend in the UK suggested I try them with a raw chicken wing a couple of times a week. I did and the colitis cleared up and has never come back since.

The wings are frozen, (I get them in Tesco's), and I chop then into smaller pieces as one of the girls would swallow it whole if she could. They have one wing between them probably 4 times a week.

I have no idea why it worked but it did the job for my girls. Might be worth a shot.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Try a course of dog probiotics. Especially after being on antibiotics his gut bacteria will be all messed up. My collie used to suffer from colitis and probiotics and a change of diet completely solved it. You should use the ones specifically for dogs though as the bacteria in them is aimed at a dogs digestive system. I use Pet Dophilus by Jarrow, which I buy online from iherb. Price would be about 20 euro inc courier delivery so you'd have them in a few days. They're excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I use the Jarrow one too - it's brilliant but save I it for emergencies because we go through it so quick in case of a tummy bug or if Bailey gets a bout of colitis the odd time. Lucy is a farty pants no matter what I feed her and also gets 'adrenaline poos' on walks so she gets Dorwest tree barks powder in her meals which has helped with the poos and I've been giving her YumPro the last few weeks which has REALLY helped cut down gas production lol :pac: I get both from Amazon but I think somebody posted before saying they use slippery elm (the main ingredient in the dorwest powder) from Holland and Barrett?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Thanks for the replies ☺ must look into that Jarrow pro biotic
    He is already taking chicken wings to help with his *ahem anal gland issues!

Advertisement