Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card options for immigrants?

• 11-03-2016 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Looking to get an Irish credit card, as I hate the risk of using my debit card for purchases (it will suck being unable to pay my bills when the card number eventually gets stolen and someone drains the account and it takes god knows how many weeks or months to resolve it and get my money back). Also would like to start working on building a credit history here, since my US credit score is meaningless, and I might want to apply for a mortgage a few years from now. However, I've spoken to my bank (Bank of Ireland) and their underwriters won't issue me a credit card because I'm currently here on a one-year Stamp 1 visa (working under a Critical Skills permit).

Are there any Irish banks/providers who might be willing to issue a credit card to folks in my situation? I'd prefer no annual fees (except the stamp duty, of course), but I don't care about the interest rate, as I'll never carry a balance. Don't care about rewards at the moment, either; doubt I'd qualify for any decent rewards cards in any case due to my lack of history.

Advertisement