Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESTA

Options
  • 11-03-2016 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Quick question - i have a valid ESTA and was in the US in January this year - customs officer stamped my passport until 20 APR 2016 - however Im looking to travel back again in early April (6th) - would this be possible ? or would i get a 'grilling' from immigration ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Your ESTA lasts for two years as far as I know, so you'll be grand as long as you didn't overstay previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

OldBean wrote: »
    Your ESTA lasts for two years as far as I know, so you'll be grand as long as you didn't overstay previously.

Thanks Oldbean no only stayed for 5 days thats all. Last time I went I was grilled by the officer as i was traveling alone so was just worried the fact I was traveling back before the exit date on my passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Tbh, getting grilled by the officer in the airport depends on them, the time of day, how busy it is and so on. It's just their job - I go over and back frequently with a work visa and it's a flip of the coin every time as to how many questions they'll want to ask.

Just one thing to check - Was this the first trip you used the current ESTA on?

OldBean wrote: »
    Tbh, getting grilled by the officer in the airport depends on them, the time of day, how busy it is and so on. It's just their job - I go over and back frequently with a work visa and it's a flip of the coin every time as to how many questions they'll want to ask.

Just one thing to check - Was this the first trip you used the current ESTA on?

Thanks for the reply Oldbean - yes it was on my current ESTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yeah agree you will be fine, and get a new stamp in your passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Thanks Oldbean no only stayed for 5 days thats all. Last time I went I was grilled by the officer as i was traveling alone so was just worried the fact I was traveling back before the exit date on my passport.

No need to be worried. The fact that you travelled back WELL before the exit date stamped in your passport is actually evidence that you are a good tourist who didn't overstay. The old exit date is really just an "up to" date and has nothing to do with the new trip. You will get a new exit date based on how long you plan to stay this time, and nothing stops you from leaving well before that date if you want to. Make sure the official at entry knows that you spent less than a week in the US on that first trip so he doesn't think you are doing some sort of back-to-back stay (which they hate).

Speedwell wrote: »
    No need to be worried. The fact that you travelled back WELL before the exit date stamped in your passport is actually evidence that you are a good tourist who didn't overstay. The old exit date is really just an "up to" date and has nothing to do with the new trip. You will get a new exit date based on how long you plan to stay this time, and nothing stops you from leaving well before that date if you want to. Make sure the official at entry knows that you spent less than a week in the US on that first trip so he doesn't think you are doing some sort of back-to-back stay (which they hate).

Thanks Speedwell appreciate the advice. I never stay more than a week

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

IIRC your passport is checked when you leave the US so you will have been 'clocked out' meaning that the next immigration agent you meet will see that you only stayed a few days on your last visit, hence you should have an easier time on your next trip. The 'travel permit' they stamp in your passport is for up to 90 days but it expires as soon as you leave the US and fly home to Ireland so your next trip will involve a new permit, even if it looks like the old one is still current which it is not.

Probably not relevant to you but the 90 days can include a trip to and back from Canada, Mexico and the 'adjacent islands' which is effectively the Caribbean. The 90 day clock keeps running while you are outside the US in any of those places but you can leave and re-enter the US on that permit i.e. if you go to Canada for a weekend, you will be allowed back into the US on the same travel permit.

Advertisement