Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotty limestone

Options
  • 11-03-2016 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi I've just had a new yellow limestone patio installed however most of the flagstones are covered in spots, like they are wet, but they are dry. I believe it is staining from the sand pointing/sealant. Also there are many white scratches, or chisel marks on the face of some slabs, which in really not happy with. Contractor said they are part of the look. Can anyone please advise? Am I being unreasonable complaining about these imperfections? Is this sort of thing to be expected? At my request He is coming back at the weekend to clean up all the loose sand and look things over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Hi I've just had a new yellow limestone patio installed however most of the flagstones are covered in spots, like they are wet, but they are dry. I believe it is staining from the sand pointing/sealant. Also there are many white scratches, or chisel marks on the face of some slabs, which in really not happy with. Contractor said they are part of the look. Can anyone please advise? Am I being unreasonable complaining about these imperfections? Is this sort of thing to be expected? At my request He is coming back at the weekend to clean up all the loose sand and look things over (and collect his money!)

please post up a pic, i think he is pulling a fast one

• Registered Users Posts: 8 goodrich girl

Thanks Sgt. Pepper. But unfortunately because I am a new subscriber I cannot post images or links. Will post once I'm allowed! Thanks for your reply, I just want my facts straight before I start asking questions. Don't want to be taken for a fool

The following are the dropbox links. You will have to add your own https:/
    dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47965806/image3.JPG
    dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47965806/image2.JPG
    dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47965806/image1.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I'd have to see it in person to be far more certain but the patterns don't appear to be due to negligent workmanship. For example, red-brick walls need to be treated with a certain chemical to seal the brick or else they'll start turning white-ish. The variation in natural-stone slabs can be frustrating, even when they come out of the same crate, and you can be left with a patio that looks horrible. The discolouration doesn't appear to match the pointing, so I don't think that's what caused it. A little test: try scrubbing a small bit with a scrubber sponge - you'll know fairly quick if it is caused by a spillage.

The white marks in pic no.3 look like they could be scratch marks but the same whiteness seems to be coming from the stone itself in another pic. Gently run your finger over them - if you can feel an indent where the blotches are, they've been damaged. If it is consistent with the texture around it, it must be a natural effect of the stone...it is limestone after all.

I'm not trying to take sides here and when I first saw the pics, they didn't look too good but the more I look and remember my own troubles with natural stone variations, I don't think poor workmanship is the problem. But like I said, I'd have to see it in person to be more sure.

Thanks lazybones. The white scratches are definitely chisel marks, he even told me that himself. Said it was part of the look, which I cannot come to terms with. Three large flags have this large amount of scratches.
    The fitter recommended this stone and supplied it. I feel like I got a bad batch of stone, but surely he should have spotted this and not installed it? Many of them look like they need a good chemical scrub, or something. Frustrating thing is I actually went with the more costly quote as I liked this guy better.
    Your opinion is greatly appreciated. It's only in since Tuesday.

• Advertisement

If you are paying a quality price, expect a quality service. I'd have no problem asking him to replace the damaged flagstones and withhold payment until I was reasonably satisfied. If the man lied to you already, I'd be very cautious in dealing with him. Maybe have a friend/family member with you when you meet him; as a witness.

Thanks, so do you reckon it's just the scratched stone that is faulty, or the dirty looking spotty ones as well?

And can it be cleaned?

I couldn't tell you exactly without seeing the flags... but looks like you're not alone with this issue http://www.pavingexpert.com/news145.htm Unfortunately, they don't offer a solution.

If the stains are caused by a spillage, then they can be cleaned and should be cleaned by whoever put them in. If the markings are actually coming from within the stone itself, and not because of the installation, then I can't say if cleaning will work. There are products available and they supposedly do a great job (so the seller says!) but this guy cleans stone floors and patios for a living in the UK and this is before he cleaned it http://oxfordshire.tiledoctor.biz/wp-content/uploads/sites/23/2015/08/Limestone-Patio-Before-Cleaning-Haddenham-11052015-095446.jpg and this is after http://oxfordshire.tiledoctor.biz/wp-content/uploads/sites/23/2015/08/Limestone-Patio-After-Cleaning-Haddenham-11052015-153157.jpg using Tile Doctor Pro-Clean. I've never used the stuff, so I can't vouch for or recommend it.

Thank you so much for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Thank you so much for the advice

I agree. YOU are the customer and if you are unhappy, dont pay and ask for him to change them.
    YOU are going to have to look at them every day, not him.

Its not cheap either. Tell him exactly what you want, perhaps even go and look at woodies or something.

Kilsaran have a great site and webpage

http://www.kilsaran.ie/

Advertisement