Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training methods

• 11-03-2016 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Since working more in the "pet industry", I've become more and more aware of all the different training methods that people are using these days.
    For a while I was living in a happy cloud of Positive Reinforcemt/ negative punishment (ie. reward the dog when good, remove reward or ignore when bad). Whenever someone asks me for training advice this is always the line id go down, recommending a known positive trainer, employing little methods at home that some people wouldn't think of (as simple as standing outside with your pup until he pees and then throwing a party for him because he's the best dog in the world for peeing!)
    I've found most people very open to this - no one wants to hit their dog with a rolled up newspaper or rub their nose in their pee despite what their mothers neighbours brothers cousin said because he's a top dog man. People can see the harm and negative behavioural consequences from this so are only delighted to have a safe positive way to do these things.

The thing that bothers me is the 'quick fixers', ie. my dog is pulling, give me something to stop him now. Go through options of harnesses and haltis, stress that it's not a quick fix; just a tool to help with training, emphasis on training! only for them to say it doesn't work bed has they didn't put in the time.
    It's so hard to get people to see that they need to put in work and be consistent, which is where my major bug bear comes in. The E collar.

These things are the best thing since sliced bread, tried it on myself and it didn't hurt me, one shock in the class and my dog never misbehaved again - I only have to put it on him and he switches to a completely different dog. (These are all lines I've heard NOT my way of thinking!) but it's so easy to see why people are impressed. It's quick, easy, "painless" and has immediate results without all the hard work of training.
    "Your dog is only obeying out of fear" - yeah but it's working right?
    "One mistimed shock and your dog could snap" - the collar is a reminder not a punishment, he wouldn't do that.
    "Your fear aggressive dog is now going to associate the sight of other dogs with the shock" - okay I just won't walk him without the collar.

Agh! So basically to put an end to my rant, yes all training tools do work. IF USED CORRECTLY. Of course they do, that's what they're designed for, if it didn't work it wouldn't exist. But how can we speak to people who are so unbreakingly convinced that this is the right thing to do, especially as the ones who sell them; be it website or person, are so effective at convincing otherwise?
    How is it that we can open eyes to more positivity and less "alpha dominance dog" drivel which is the main belief around these parts?
    How can you not judge people for using these methods despite you imploring the negative impacts and even directing them to one of the best positive sources around, which they now believe and will pass on to others that it doesn't work because it didn't work in a week or two?

I'm sorry for the ranting post, it's just so frustrating! But at least I'm happy in the knowledge that boards can be my happy bubble of positive!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

One of the reasons I am moving rapidly away from corrections is that they're too tempting.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't an advocacy of a pure-positive approach. If my dog goes to chase your cat or bully your dog, they're going to get roared at. Self-rewarding behaviours which are dangerous to the dog itself or to others may merit correction. But I think that it's too easy for people to over-correct, do a harsher correction than is necessary to make the behaviour stop, and to also use it as a *substitute* for training properly and teaching the dog what is expected of it.

I think part of the trouble is that it takes time and attention to train a dog, that people don't want to spend. I used reprimands, praise, and the method where the dog has to keep slack to get you to keep moving, to train the dog to keep a loose leash. That means that when you're walking the dog you have to pay attention, at all times. I was quite clear, once the dog understood that a slack leash was desired, to remind her as soon as she tugged again. But you'll see people sitting with the dog pulling and pulling and the human ignores it or goes 'stop, stop, stop STOP.' The dog has heard nothing for the first five minutes and suddenly gets reprimanded out of the blue. Sometimes the dog will get frightened and walk closer beside you for a few minutes, not because it understands, but because you just randomly exploded. So they think it worked. And then the dog's just being 'bold' when it does it again- when it genuinely has no idea what you want. They're sending unclear signals where the shock collar sends one signal- and then they think it's the shock that worked, when it could as well be the clarity.

If you're doing a positive approach it's generally pretty explicit about breaking the behaviour down into sections, chaining them, making sure at all times the dog understands what you want and wants to continue, and often using a clicker or short marker to give that clarity. Many people just do not have the dog sense or timing to properly correct a dog verbally- and with more positive training it wouldn't be necessary in most of the situations people use it in. If you mistime your praise your dog might get a bit frustrated or confused, but there's less potential for fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Eric Marley

I can say that the dog training process is fraught with highs and lows, and if you have good information,you will be far less stressed along the way.To keep dogs from scratching at doors or jumping on people and furniture, try spraying them with a water-filled spray bottle. This will show the pooch that there are consequences to these actions. Before long, your dog will no longer display these behaviors, and will be obedient and playful.Short training sessions are the best idea. Sessions should be nor more than 15 minutes to avoid frustrating the dog, which is counterproductive. Once done, praise your dog and play with him for a while.You should always be training your dog; this is the key to having a good pet. A lot of owners think that after their dog has gone through training classes, that its trained for life. That's a lie. Throughout its life, your dog will continue to learn from you. Continue reinforcing training already given and reward the dog with an obedient life.Whenever you make use of your dogs name within the context of a reprimand or warning,make a point to then use it positively as well. The animal should not associate his name with something negative as this may lead him to experience fear or anxiety when he hears it.If your dog likes to bark you need to be aware of why they are doing so. It may be a noise, or seeing other animals or people. The key is teaching them that their triggers are nothing to fear.Be careful not to reward bad behaviors without realizing it. You should avoid using strips of food or attention to train when you are trying to discourage behaviors. For instance, do not pet the dog lovingly if it jumps on you the minute you arrive home if this is something you are attempting to cure.click here check it out dog beds for large dogs Have a treat ready to reward your dog after it properly completes a task you ask it to do. They have to know that doing the right thing brings a happy ending. This is the proper way to make sure the dog knows the difference between good behavior and bad.Teach your dog to get "down". It can be very useful during emergencies and also serves as a great foundation for future lessons. "Down" is the perfect command to keep dogs out of danger. Basically you just need to be consistent with whatever method you use and your dog shall adopt and learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

...to cure.click here check it out dog beds for large dogs Have a treat ready...
    :D

Advertisement