Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with this area

Options
  • 11-03-2016 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking for some suggestions on what to do with this raised area. Are is south facing in small courtyard area. The elder and the conifer have been pulled out of it.

Really not sure what way to go with it, alpine garden springs to mind but would like to hear some suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A heather bed is one option but also a bamboo grove or a combination of ornamental grasses and herbaceous perennials.

I'd remove the stone (looks haphazard) and reduce the soil level also to board level.

Another option would be to install a water feature and plant with a mix of hardy ferns and ornamental grasses (+ add a few lights?)

Whatever you decide you need to soften the visibility of the corner aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

A heather bed is one option but also a bamboo grove or a combination of ornamental grasses and herbaceous perennials.

I'd remove the stone (looks haphazard) and reduce the soil level also to board level.

Another option would be to install a water feature and plant with a mix of hardy ferns and ornamental grasses (+ add a few lights?)

Whatever you decide you need to soften the visibility of the corner aspect.

Hi sonnenblumen, thanks for the input, really like the idea of water feature and ferns/grasses. In terms of quantity and distance, I would like to keep it simple so should I only go for 2 or 3 species of each and dot them around? What distance between each.

Agree with removing the faux brickwork, it looks awful. Am considering replacing with new style sleepers, I.e the plained, straightlined heavy lengths of timber.

Does anyone have a good source for water feature kits including the pump and bucket?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi little video on how to build a small pondless waterfall jack http://www.aquascapeinc.com/diy-backyard-pondless-waterfall

Advertisement