Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry Pi 3 and openelec

• 11-03-2016 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

I have openelec running well on an overclocked rp model B. Having said that I would like something a little faster and was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to a rp3 which would also mean getting a micro USB card and a new psu - I'm hoping the official 2.5 amp one could cope with the 1tb 2.5 inch external drive I'm currently using. Not sure if there are any rp3 optimised openelec builds yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

digitaldr wrote: »
    I have openelec running well on an overclocked rp model B. Having said that I would like something a little faster and was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to a rp3 which would also mean getting a micro USB card and a new psu - I'm hoping the official 2.5 amp one could cope with the 1tb 2.5 inch external drive I'm currently using. Not sure if there are any rp3 optimised openelec builds yet?

Openelec builds are available for the RPI 3 here.

Installation instructions are linked to from there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I've been running Openelec for my Pi3 for about a week now and I have to say I'm really really happy.

No lag whatsoever, plays 1080p video files fine and with built in Wireless N connecting via wifi now is actually faster than the built in 100Mb Ethernet port.

Highly recommended with the upgraded CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

MrVestek wrote: »
    I've been running Openelec for my Pi3 for about a week now and I have to say I'm really really happy.

No lag whatsoever, plays 1080p video files fine and with built in Wireless N connecting via wifi now is actually faster than the built in 100Mb Ethernet port.

Highly recommended with the upgraded CPU.

I've a Pi2 myself but ordered the pi3 with openelec from thepihut for no reason at all.

It'll be interesting to see what the difference is between the two.

I've a pi 1 lying around now doing nothing, i'll have to see if i can put it to use doing something pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I've a Pi2 myself but ordered the pi3 with openelec from thepihut for no reason at all.

It'll be interesting to see what the difference is between the two.

I've a pi 1 lying around now doing nothing, i'll have to see if i can put it to use doing something pointless.

I am interested to see how the 2 & 3 compare for you.

The Pi would make a nice LAN music server ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Gman0174

digitaldr wrote: »

Hi, do any of you have any experience with plex media server on Pi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i think openelec development is kind of grinding to a halt now, due to the libreelec fork (internal disputes on the direction to take future development i believe), and most of the openelec devs (aside from the main guy and maybe one or two others) are now all working on the libreelec team. can anyone say mutiny? :D

seems like the best device for libreelec right now is the odroid c2 which is essentially a souped up version of the pi, with similar specs to the current gen android tv boxes, so an s905 cpu (supposedly at 2ghz, but seems to actually be throttled to 1.5ghz), mali-450 gpu and 2gb/16gb ram/rom etc. with a 1gbps ethernet onboard and hdmi2 too, for 4k output, unlike the 1808p on the pi3, plus extra options like a much faster emmc module to use instead of a microsd for faster booting etc. only downside is no onboard wifi or bt, but other than that, it kicks the pi3's ar$e all day long.

it does all the cec stuff so you might not even need BT and if you have gb ethernet you might not need wifi either, but theres 4 usb slots (i think maybe even usb3 too?) so you should be good either way.

i was planning on getting one to test, but i just bought 4 different android tv boxes so i have my hands full atm! :D

vibe666 wrote: »
    i think openelec development is kind of grinding to a halt now, due to the libreelec fork (internal disputes on the direction to take future development i believe), and most of the openelec devs (aside from the main guy and maybe one or two others) are now all working on the libreelec team. can anyone say mutiny? :D

seems like the best device for libreelec right now is the odroid c2 which is essentially a souped up version of the pi, with similar specs to the current gen android tv boxes, so an s905 cpu (supposedly at 2ghz, but seems to actually be throttled to 1.5ghz), mali-450 gpu and 2gb/16gb ram/rom etc. with a 1gbps ethernet onboard and hdmi2 too, for 4k output, unlike the 1808p on the pi3, plus extra options like a much faster emmc module to use instead of a microsd for faster booting etc. only downside is no onboard wifi or bt, but other than that, it kicks the pi3's ar$e all day long.

it does all the cec stuff so you might not even need BT and if you have gb ethernet you might not need wifi either, but theres 4 usb slots (i think maybe even usb3 too?) so you should be good either way.

i was planning on getting one to test, but i just bought 4 different android tv boxes so i have my hands full atm! :D

Did I read that there is no RTC in the C2?

With the CPU limited to 1.5Ghz it is not much faster than the Pi 3's 1.2Ghz

The C2 has the advantage of faster ethernet 1Gb/s / 100Mb/s and 2GB RAM versus 1GB on the Pi 3.

The Pi 3 scores with on board Wifi and BT, and probably most importantly for many, much better community support and variety.

Maybe the Pi 4 will have 2GB ram and 1Gb/s ethernet :D

For the present, my preference is the Pi 3 for home use.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Gman0174

vibe666 wrote: »

The C2 has the advantage of faster ethernet 1Gb/s / 100Mb/s and 2GB RAM versus 1GB on the Pi 3.

The Pi 3 scores with on board Wifi and BT, and probably most importantly for many, much better community support and variety.

Vibe, Johnny, you ever set Pi up as a media server? For music I have been using RuneAudio, but would like one for all media.

Gman0174 wrote: »
    Vibe, Johnny, you ever set Pi up as a media server? For music I have been using RuneAudio, but would like one for all media.

Yes, I did ...... set one up as music server first ...... then a B as media server connected to stored files, then moved it all to an old PC (P4 ) running Openelec, with TV tuner cards and HDDs for storage.
    R-Pi relegated to client use, again with Openelec .
    PC storage is the central recording location for all clients, who then get the ability to play anything stored there regardless which client recorded it, or from where it was d/loaded etc.
    Now all devices can record and play media on the LAN to one central storage point. Others can easily be added if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

That won't happen unless they decide to add more bulk to the board by adding an actual Ethernet controller.

Ethernet so far runs through the USB bridge and the controller is emulated with software - hence the speed limitations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement