Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland V Italy, Sat 12/3, KO: 13.30PM, OFFICIAL SUPER MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

jesus italy are tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Thought we were gonna butcher that!!

\o/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Them offloads are overrated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Zebo will be dropped for that offload

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fantastic from Zebo. Really adding a lot to this backline today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Zebo. :eek: That's what an attacking fullback can give you. Great continuity from the rest of the players involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Wonderful try

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

That was an impressive try!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

That's the point. Schmidt has stated that McFadden and Madigan are on the bench due to their versatility, but Schmidt will only play both players on the wing or a OH respectively.

In fairness, Ferg was already warmed up and it was a four minute change.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Nice try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Outstanding try. Zebo, sublime.

lenihan says try of the year. he obviously doesn't watch the super rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

Really good finish from Heaslip, some great stuff from Zebo, trimble, mcfadden, Payne and sexton

Quite SR-esque with the scramble completely unable to cut off passing lanes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Excellent from Ferg, sucking in the final two defenders by faking a lack of pace, before a perfectly timed pass to Heaslip.

#****TheHaters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

jesus italy are tripe.

Did the Irish team bus hit you on the way to the game today or something? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

leakyboots wrote: »
    Campagnaro is a very handsome man

Off topic. But I'll allow it ... as it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

And thats why people want Zebo over Kearney #Magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

That try was a thing of beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Actually he said try of the championship. Which in fairness it probably was

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That try was bloody amazing.

astonaidan wrote: »
    And thats why people want Zebo over Kearney #Magic

Well this week people wanted payne at fb.

You haven't had a single positive thing to say in this thread and are having a go at every good thing that happens. Can you just give it a rest, the rest of us are trying to enjoy the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Excellent from Ferg, sucking in the final two defenders by faking a lack of pace, before a perfectly timed pass to Heaslip.

#****TheHaters

I thought the move was finished once trimble received it, terrible for an ulster fan to say, but he's lost about half a miles worth of pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

A good first half, although Italy really aren't up to much with all their injuries.

Good tries, good performance, good tempo. Superb offload by Zebo to create a magnificent team try.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Zebo has been playing well but has he even been challenged once defensively?

It's fun to watch but lets not go anointing him as Lord and Savior just yet.

Great to see the People's Captain get a try for all his hard work.

You haven't had a single positive thing to say in this thread and are having a go at every good thing that happens. Can you just give it a rest, the rest of us are trying to enjoy the game.

its a public forum. i am stating my opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This is a wonderful game so far. That last try before the half ended was simply sensational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

He's the obligatory Kiwi who's only purpose is to give all Kiwis a bad name. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

McGrath has been awesome, and that moustache also! Magnificent.

Madigan should be brought on for the second half. We've got a comfortable lead, Italy usually tire in the second half, Sexton is having a mare from the tee and he's been clattered a good few times already. If Schmidt has so much faith in Madigan now is the time to show us why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

ITV coverage is abysmal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Hopefully we see at least 20 minutes of Marmion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Personally, i just use the ignore list so the posts get hidden. There's a few negative bastards on it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Madigan should be brought on for the second half. We've got a comfortable lead, Italy usually tire in the second half, Sexton is having a mare from the tee and he's been clattered a good few times already. If Schmidt has so much faith in Madigan now is the time to show us why.
    Agreed, Joe needs to show why mads is there ahead of pj. This is a very poor Italy side so pressure is off

Will be disappointed if we havent made at least 5 changes by 55 min.

Personally, i just use the ignore list so the posts get hidden. There's a few negative bastards on it at this stage.

Yup, added to the list.

Good first half though Italy have gone into their shell. I'd expect they will come out and look to pressure us in the opening quarter of the second half. Hopefully we come out with the same attitude.

Sexton to come off soon, though if he could just get a few kicks to sort my fantasy team before he departs that would be swell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Agreed, Joe needs to show why mads is there ahead of pj. This is a very poor Italy side so pressure is off

No he doesn't thats just what people want. Joe doesn't have to show people on the internet anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Half-time thoughts:

That last score has put a nice sheen on the first half, we look a bit workman-like at times but at least we're trying stuff.

Delighted for McGrath with his score, he's been a rock for us. Don't have much to say about Mike Ross other than he's locking the scrum so he's doing his job.
    Both second rows doing well, Toner going great guns in the lineout.
    Stander is the best of the backrow and gets his first of many Irish tries :) 12 carries, 22m made, 2 defenders beaten

Heaslip was very quiet up until the last 10 mins, great awareness to be there for the try. JvdF is tackling well but looks a bit underpowered.

Conor Murray is running the show. Sexton having a poor day off the boot, taken a couple of hits, I'd be subbing him. Such a shame Jackson isnt' there to get 40 mins.

Earls showing well, great clearout for the try, great pass that Trimble should have finished. 2 clean breaks, 40m made. Slipped off one tackle poorly.

Henshaw going well, carrying well. Some good little grubber kicks but sometimes trying them when they're not on.

Payne defending well, lovely offload for Earls (even though it looked forward) in the run up to Stander's try.

Trimble, took his try well with the little in-out to make space for himself, thought he should have had a cut off Earls pass. Still, would have liked to have seen maybe Gilroy in here somewhere either from the start or off the bench.

Zebo, bit of an attacking masterclass here - great offloads, two clean breaks, four defenders beaten, passing well too. Not being asked questions in defense.

Subs on NOW Joe. Dillane, Bealham, Ruddock for Heaslip, Marmion - give the kids decent gametime.

EDIT: Forgot to add, Italy are absolutely abysmal so I don't know how much positives to take to be honest.

• Advertisement

Good things typically don't happen while Ian Madigan is on a rugby pitch, but today the universe might make an exception....

Utah_Saint wrote: »

And we need Sexton for Scotland more than we need him to finish this one out.

We've already had a 12 taken off for a blood sub and Madigan hasn't moved. I'm sure the reason given later will be because Fergs had already been on, was warmed up, up to speed etc. etc.

If he sits on the bench until Sexton comes off on 75 minutes I will officially be calling Schmidt a liar, liar, pants on fire.

McGrath has been awesome, and that moustache also! Magnificent.

He has been our best performer but if lenihan is giving man of match award its going to Stander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I wanted to see a lot less errors in this game. So far it's been less errors, more accuracy and the tries have come.

Lots of offloads too. Payne still the biggest culprit :D

salmocab wrote: »
    No he doesn't thats just what people want. Joe doesn't have to show people on the internet anything.

Eh... that's what the internet is for. So we can question the professionals from the comfort of our own homes. If Joe doesn't know this he shouldn't be a professional sports guy.

I wanted to see a lot less errors in this game. So far it's been less errors, more accuracy and the tries have come.

Lots of offloads too. Payne still the biggest culprit :D

Payne has been the biggest culprit for errors with passing, he's thrown more than one into the ground. Also spilled the ball on the edge of our 22.

Great in defense but we should expect more in attack

thats a cheap one from toner. whistle was gone

tv directors not showing replay.................

jesus Italy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Another beautiful try :D

Advertisement