Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAFA BENITEZ new Newcastle Manager

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Looks like he's staying at Newcastle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03vckmq

Personally, I think he's found his true level, managing in the Championship.

I kid:pac: ....Sort of! But I don't think he's the elite manager that a lot of people believe he is. I say that as a Liverpool fan too.

He could be a good fit at a slightly below top tier club like Newcastle though, I hope so because I'd genuinely like to see Newcastle turn things around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I kid:pac: ....Sort of! But I don't think he's the elite manager that a lot of people believe he is. I say that as a Liverpool fan too.

He could be a good fit at a slightly below top tier club like Newcastle though, I hope so because I'd genuinely like to see Newcastle turn things around.

Surprised he'd consider staying. I'm sure Newcastle will be among the favourites to get promoted next year if it happens would be nice for Benitez to have on the c.v., but if they don't ? He's facing into a year that could make or break his managerial prospects with any of the established top clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Depends on one's definition of elite I guess...I'd have him in the top 20 managers in the world anyway.

As much as next year will be a definite step down, I think it might not be a bad idea - unless the perfect job came up. But almost any other job will see him moving far away from his family again...at Newcastle with him at the helm, one could easily see them coming straight back up, and they have the fanbase there to really push on with the right management and TV money next year. He could also be the key to convincing a few of their more important players to stick around for a year.

For the medium to long term I think it's a good fit for both parties, provided they actually do what he wants, revamping everything from the ground up. Let him do what he wants with the youth and reserve systems and the reward will come down the line.
    Duiske wrote: »
    Surprised he'd consider staying. I'm sure Newcastle will be among the favourites to get promoted next year if it happens would be nice for Benitez to have on the c.v., but if they don't ? He's facing into a year that could make or break his managerial prospects with any of the established top clubs.

I don't really think that's the case...he's not a young up and comer anymore, you pretty much know exactly what you get with Rafa. He's got the international experience and medals to back himself up. It's not like Alan Curbishly disappearing off the scene or something. If they don't come back up next year, short of an absolute disaster, i'm sure he'd have plenty of offers abroad still. I think his achievements in Spain especially will always hold weight there if he wanted to return. I'd actually kind of love to see a Rafa managed AC Milan, but i'd say he really would rather not leave England again so soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

It still surprises me how poorly Benitez is viewed by some....even Liverpool fans.....
    His CV should speak for itself but it somehow doesn't to a lot of people....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

NukaCola wrote: »
    It still surprises me how poorly Benitez is viewed by some....even Liverpool fans.....
    His early career achievements (Valencia through to Liverpool finishing 2nd in the league) are great, but I watch a fair bit of Italian football and he was terrible there for Inter, and not exactly good at Napoli either, where Sarri is showing him up a bit.

There's a middle ground. He's a good manager, but certainly hasn't been one of the best for years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

His early career achievements (Valencia through to Liverpool finishing 2nd in the league) are great, but I watch a fair bit of Italian football and he was terrible there for Inter, and not exactly good at Napoli either, where Sarri is showing him up a bit.

There's a middle ground. He's a good manager, but certainly hasn't been one of the best for years now.

I get that point of view and actually agree with it, post Liverpool he's been ok/good not great, and I'm not saying he's the best ever, just surprised that he's rated so poorly by a lot of people.....never seemed to get the credit he deserved....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I get that point of view and actually agree with it, post Liverpool he's been ok/good not great, and I'm not saying he's the best ever, just surprised that he's rated so poorly by a lot of people.....never seemed to get the credit he deserved....
    Yeah I'd dismiss the people who say he's a bad manager as biased and/or stupid. His achievements at Valencia and Liverpool speak for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think taking on Inter when he did was a poor choice. It was an ageing squad that just won the treble. All the players wanted Mourinho to stay but Mourinho knew it was the right time to jump ship.

Inter needed an overhaul that the owners were not going to fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

His CV does speak for itself, though - two Coppa Italias, a UEFA Cup and a Club World Cup (which isn't really worth anything to begin with) is all he has won in a decade. For any 'punching above his weight despite not winning trophies' you could argue about his Liverpool tenure in that time is offset by doing the reverse ever since.

He's not a bad manager by any stretch, but it's bordering on surreal how some (pretty much exclusively Liverpool fans) still insist he is one of the very best managers in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Billy86 wrote: »
    His CV does speak for itself, though - two Coppa Italias, a UEFA Cup and a Club World Cup (which isn't really worth anything to begin with) is all he has won in a decade. For any 'punching above his weight despite not winning trophies' you could argue about his Liverpool tenure in that time is offset by doing the reverse ever since.

He's not a bad manager by any stretch, but it's bordering on surreal how some (pretty much exclusively Liverpool fans) still insist he is one of the very best managers in the world.
    He isn't rated top 10 anymore by anybody I don't think.

I'd find it hard to name 20 better managers though. He is a very good manager and better than a lot of those employed in the Premier league. I'd imagine his biggest problem these days is a young family who are very well settled in Liverpool and it's difficult to work far away from home. I think his career has suffered as a result of this but in about five years time when they are off in college I'd expect to see him get back to his best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Who's arguing that?

It often seems people are arguing against an extreme strawman when it comes to Benitez, and feel required to say he's a 'fraud' or some variant of bad manager on that basis to balance it out. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

His CV does speak for itself, though - two Coppa Italias, a UEFA Cup and a Club World Cup (which isn't really worth anything to begin with) is all he has won in a decade.

That CV still puts him ahead of 99% of other managers though. Thats what I don't get about the Benitez criticism, even if he doesn't have Mourinho or Guardiola's trophy haul, well who the hell does? There are dozens of clubs out there that would kill to have just a Uefa cup or a Coppa Italia in the past few seasons.

He was won La Liga twice, the Uefa cup twice, the CL, the FA cup and had various other trophies and successful seasons, that record puts him ahead of almost any other manager you can point to and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Rafa is a great manager who has repeatedly shot himself in the foot by taking a series of awful jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Shteve to return to Derby. What the fack!?

Advertisement