Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of wire is this? in pre-wired Apartment

Options
  • 11-03-2016 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I live in an apartment which has these wires in 3 corners of the living room. I never took much notice of them but had an engineer installing broadband the other day and he thought they were a surround sound shared wiring system.

Anyone any idea what the cables might be for? is it sound or another type of system?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

yes looks like speaker cable alright ,probably ran back to one location.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Speaker cable from the socket pictured up to the corners of the room I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

Cool. Thanks for the replies. Is it much of a job (diy) to get a speaker system wired up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The left multicore cable looks like it might be a phone / cat5 cable.

The cable with the two wires looks like a speaker cable.

Might be worth asking a neighbour if they have the cables and used them for anything.

The box with the 2 cables in the photo, is this likely to be where a television might be located, do you have cabling for aerials / sky dishes near any of these points you have photographed.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

dingding wrote: »
    The left multicore cable looks like it might be a phone / cat5 cable.

The cable with the two wires looks like a speaker cable.

Might be worth asking a neighbour if they have the cables and used them for anything.

The box with the 2 cables in the photo, is this likely to be where a television might be located, do you have cabling for aerials / sky dishes near any of these points you have photographed.

Yeah its where I have the tv at the moment and the natural location for it. The complex was originally wired by Smart telecom and they were actually trialling a tv service when they wired the building AFAIK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement