Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prime Lenses and Filter Question

• 11-03-2016 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

I have a bit of extra cash, and feeling the itch to move on from my kit lens and I've settled on a 50mm f/1.8 here (especially since I'm interested in getting into portraiture and messing with depth of field. Is this a good choice? Or is a 35mm one a better choice? I just like the idea of the f/1.8).

I have a more specific question about filters. A lot of the information I'm reading recommends investing in one of two types of filter, a UV or a ND one. I'm assuming this is because of the low aperture settings. I'm not sure which one is more useful though. Any advice or recommendations on one? Are they even worth getting?

Thanks in advance, and please excuse the newbieness!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

For portraiture I don't think you need any filter. Are you using a crop sensor camera, if so that 50mm f1.8 will be a nice portrait lens and very cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

You'll have to excuse my ignorance on this, but a crop sensor camera, I'm assuming this is a sensor smaller than 35mm? If it is, then yes I'm using an APS-C (Pentax K-R).

I suppose I was thinking about the filter incase I went a rambling with the prime. Sure than can wait for another day. New lens, here I come. :P

Thanks very much for the help! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

For portraiture - it depends on your style but longer lenses generally work better (you get a compression effect which is generally flattering to your subject while you also can put some distance between you and the subject). 85mm lens or longer are great.

That said you can still take cracking portraiture shots with wider lenses - just a different look. If you are not sure - just have a scan online (flickr / pinterest etc) and you can see how the Field of View / Compression differs across the different lenses.

The wider your lens the better if you want the bokeh look so f1.8 will be great.

Wouldn't bother with filters myself. There's no need and you'll have all the flexibility you need in post anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

D.S. wrote: »

The wider your lens the better if you want the bokeh look so f1.8 will be great.

Wouldn't bother with filters myself. There's no need and you'll have all the flexibility you need in post anyway.

The 50mm on his crop frame will be approx 75mm equivalent so should be grand for starters. I certainly agree with your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    The 50mm on his crop frame will be approx 75mm equivalent so should be grand for starters. I certainly agree with your post.

Would you believe I randomly saw this in Facebook just now. Thought it would be useful to post

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The 50mm on a cropped body is a good choice for portraiture and f1.8 is great for shallow depth of field.

The focal length is not the important specification but rather the distance from the subject.

Advertisement