Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 220 V Polar M400

Options
  • 11-03-2016 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭

I can't decide between the two of these.
    I like the look of the Garmin and I think it's a neater fit but then I think for a similar price the Polar has more features.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The 220 is an older model and is not getting software updates as the 230 will be replacing that. The M400 is relatively newer and does have the activity & sleep tracking that is missing from the 220. Bang for your buck is with the Polar and there is a 2 year warranty with Polar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The 230 is more than I'd be prepared to spend really. I think I need to try on the Polar and see if it is too chunky for me or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

I have the Polar M400 and the deciding factors at the time was that Polar appeared to be updating it with new features and I like the activity tracker, I work sitting down a lot of the day and if I don't get up for an hour the watch beeps me telling me it's time to move. No bad thing when working with computers all day!
    I have the watch approximately 9-10 months now and it's had some features added in each update. Most recent one being cadence monitoring and Strava support was added earlier this year.
    I regularly wear the watch as my normal daily watch both as an activity tracker and also that I like the simple look of it. It is a GPS watch so bigger than a standard digital watch but more discrete than say a Casio G-Shock or something to that ilk
    Ultimately I felt I was getting more for my money with the Polar than the Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Sorry for hijacking the tread but looking at the M400 myself but slightly wondering how the interval timer works?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

scheister wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking the tread but looking at the M400 myself but slightly wondering how the interval timer works?
    I've only used the interval timer once so far. I set it to the distance I wanted to run and at the end it gave me all the stats from my session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Gael23 wrote: »
    I've only used the interval timer once so far. I set it to the distance I wanted to run and at the end it gave me all the stats from my session.

What im wondering is my intervals are 400 run 90 seconds rest. Can the watch separate the two that way. Closest i have come to a feature like i want is runkeeper but it can only do distance and distance or time and time not a mixture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It should do if it's like most other Garmins. You set the distance of the interval, the number of intervals, and then the rest in between. You can set the rest in terms of time or distance. You can also set a warm-up and cool-down before and after.

Edit, I should really read the previous posts before replying, I see you're referring to the Polar, not Garmin.

scheister wrote: »
    What im wondering is my intervals are 400 run 90 seconds rest. Can the watch separate the two that way. Closest i have come to a feature like i want is runkeeper but it can only do distance and distance or time and time not a mixture

You set this workout up as a Favourite session on Flow, save it and sync to the watch and it is there with distance and time as the governing factors of the workout.

I would suggest that it is set up so your progression is set up as a <Manual> next interval rather than <Automatic> Reason being the GPS will not be 100% accurate for 400m so if on a track you hit Lap for each circuit as you cross the line.

The other cool thing about the Polar Flow is you can name each Interval rather than "Work", "Rest" you can put notes such as "Cadence >90" or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

sconhome wrote: »
    The 220 is an older model and is not getting software updates

Of course garmin are still providing updates for the 220.

donnacha wrote: »
    Of course garmin are still providing updates for the 220.

With the advent of the 230 and 630 there are no new updates coming for the older models.

Last update for the 220 was November 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

sconhome wrote: »
    With the advent of the 230 and 630 there are no new updates coming for the older models.

Last update for the 220 was November 2014.

Well my 220 received a software update this week. March 14th was the release date:
    http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/recent-updates

donnacha wrote: »
    Well my 220 received a software update this week. March 14th was the release date:
    http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/recent-updates

Is there release notes for that update to the 220 anywhere please?

In general when Garmin release a new unit there is no further software development for the older units. Happy to stand corrected.

Advertisement