Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penny's running gear?

Options
  • 11-03-2016 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

With the weather warming up i need some new running clothes. Was in Pennys tonight and they had some tops & bottoms. Are they ok, or am i just better off spending the money on quality proper running clothes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

mel.b wrote: »
    With the weather warming up i need some new running clothes. Was in Pennys tonight and they had some tops & bottoms. Are they ok, or am i just better off spending the money on quality proper running clothes?

I think it depends. I have some Penney's jackets and socks and I find them grand, and I have two pairs of their running tights that I really like. I like the patterns etc. as well. I don't wear their sports bras because I feel like the straps sit oddly on my shoulders, but my friend likes them, so each to their own!

I'd say they are fine - try them on and make sure they fit the way you like and have all the things you like (like pockets etc, in my case!). Maybe if you were doing an ultra marathon in the alps I'd say 'don't wear Penneys' gear', but medium distances around the city, I think if you like them when you try them on, then they're fine.

My running gear is a mix of Penneys, TK Maxx, Lidl, Aldi plus some things from running shops and online. (Having said that my absolutely favourite running tights are Brooks and I LOVE them, but they were pricey!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

My last pair of trousers were xlr8, not sure if that's penny's or dunnes but I wore them less than half a dozen times and they are in the bin. Now in saying that one f the times was gel and back but the zip on the left leg and the key holder zip both broke.

Replaced with two pairs of lidls finest this week but haven't been out since due to travel so can't speak for them yet

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Pretty much everything I have is from pennies, apart from my runners and bra. I find it great, although I haven't much experience of more expensive stuff to compare it to! Aldi have great stuff recently too, but I didn't like the pair of bottoms I got there, very uncomfortable.

+1 to checking they have what you need. The pennies stuff either has no pockets or non functioning tiny ones so if u need somewhere to put stuff you might need to look elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Pretty much everything I have is from pennies, apart from my runners and bra. I find it great, although I haven't much experience of more expensive stuff to compare it to! Aldi have great stuff recently too, but I didn't like the pair of bottoms I got there, very uncomfortable.

+1 to checking they have what you need. The pennies stuff either has no pockets or non functioning tiny ones so if u need somewhere to put stuff you might need to look elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Haven't checked Penney's gear but one thing I always check for in leggings is flat-locked seams. Way less chance of chaffing :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Lidl is better. You'll get what you pay for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Rowdy Roddy

Actual running shop is better again. You get what you pay for.

uvox wrote: »
    Lidl is better. You'll get what you pay for.

Lidl is usually cheaper than Penneys!!

The only pair of Lidl tights I ever bought were the last. You could see what I'd had for breakfast in them.

I've some Penneys stuff, but as someone else said, check out the seams for potential chaffage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Lidl is usually cheaper than Penneys!!

The only pair of Lidl tights I ever bought were the last. You could see what I'd had for breakfast in them.

I've some Penneys stuff, but as someone else said, check out the seams for potential chaffage!

I have a Lidl pair I love! They have pink solar systems / galaxies on them. When I used to help coach the kids all the young girls were always admiring them. The only thing I didn't like was that they had no ankle zips.

I also have another pair of Lidl running trousers / warm up trousers that I LOVE - I wish Lidl would do them again. They sound vile but they are SO practical:
    They're sort of shiny-ish material, and the inside of the legs is a bit fleecy, and they have those zips on the end with extra material (pink!) inside that makes them open out like huge flares (I know, I know, I'm selling them here! :)) - they are the best thing ever for before and after XC - the shiny-ness seems to make them a bit water-repellant, they have good pockets, they are so cosy and the hilarious flared zips mean they are easy to get on and off over spikes / runners etc. Wonder pants!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Actual running shop is better again. You get what you pay for.

Would disagree here, a running top in Decathlon for 9 euro is as good if not better than a running top in the running shops here that cost 50 euro!

Would even say Lidl/Aldi are as good as the 50 euro ones.

Bar the shoes, alot of the stuff in running shops are fashion stuff these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I have no experience of Pennys' running clothing - I usually buy from Sportsdirect.

Find the selection great, brand clothing usually cheaper than in the Bricks and Mortar sports shop, delivery very fast, and stocks gear for all price ranges [Karrimor up to Brooks/ Mizuno]

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I find the Penny's top grand but not in the rain on long runs if you forget to vasiline your nipples... while tops like patagonia or columbia I never had that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I have no experience of Pennys' running clothing - I usually buy from Sportsdirect.

Find the selection great, brand clothing usually cheaper than in the Bricks and Mortar sports shop, delivery very fast, and stocks gear for all price ranges [Karrimor up to Brooks/ Mizuno]

Agree have found these good. Would never buy a top in a running shop in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

If you are looking for mid priced tops that are decent quality keep an eye open in Elverys.
    Their own brand Pro Touch are usually on BOGOHP, so you can pick up a couple of long sleeve tops for €30.
    I've several pairs on the go for a few years now, usually pick up in the sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They used to do the same with branded stuff. Most of my tops, other than freebies, are Adidas climacool stuff that I picked up over the years from there on offer.

I was looking at the Lifestyle website recently as I seem to be mislaying most of mine on a regular basis these days and the model they use for them make them look ridiculously tight,

http://www.lifestylesports.com/en/restofworld/clothing/all-clothing/icat/allrunfitclothing?gclid=Cj0KEQjw5Z63BRCLqqLtpc6dk7gBEiQA0OuhsHTXqz9VmdeqDOoaDFXZZ59UGgD0At-ANrHSggcYJgcaAtWb8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds#esp_cf=pdxttype&esp_filter_pdxtgender=Male&esp_filter_pdxtage=Adult&esp_filter_pdxttype=T-Shirt&esp_filter_pdxtbrand=adidas

Advertisement