Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me an FPS

• 11-03-2016 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a good fairly recent FPS. Something that a Radeon 6950 can handle.

Stuff I like: Quake1-3, Unreal, Deus E, UT, Far Cry 1, Crysis & variants. Borderlands 1&2. Aint played the latest.

More recently Metro 2033 & LL. Haven't played much else.

Any recommendations? Tending toward single player, fast paced, sf rather than historic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Borderlands
    BioShock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Cod Advanced warfare (I liked it anyway!)
    Rise of the triad
    Shadow warrior
    Wolfenstein the new order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'll second Wolfenstein: The New Order, easily one of the best shooters I've played in years. I also recently played Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, and if you don't mind the wild west setting (I'm a sucker for Westerns) it's amazing.

And if you want to try something really left of field, check out Devil Daggers. It's absolutely insane, almost like an FPS bullet-hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

MP

R6 Siege
    Arma 3
    Insurgency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The HD6950 will handle pretty much any modern FPS at OK levels, certainly at levels decent enough to enjoy the title.

Fallout 4
    Bioshock 1, 2, Infite
    Borderlands
    Dishonored
    STALKER: Clear Sky
    COD Advanced Warfare/Black Ops 2, 3
    Shadow Warrior
    Crysis 2, Crysis 3
    Far Cry 3, Far Cry 4, Far Cry Blood Dragon
    Wolfenstein New World Order/Old Blood
    Bulletstorm
    Quake IV
    Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway
    Medal of Honor Warfighter

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

my god, why would anybody recommend stalker clear sky over the other two

stalker chernobyl or pripyat are incredible games and should be fine for your card. They are damned punishing early-game though, there's no hand holding here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Half Life series yet.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Bulletstorm is *VERY* silly, but pretty good fun and you'll pick it up pretty cheap.

The 2 recent Wolfenstein games are really enjoyable fun too, I'd definitely recommend them.

The CODs and all that are grand if you want to play multiplayer, but their story modes aren't great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FriendComputer

strelok wrote: »
    my god, why would anybody recommend stalker clear sky over the other two

stalker chernobyl or pripyat are incredible games and should be fine for your card. They are damned punishing early-game though, there's no hand holding here.

I still have my CS disk around here... somewhere. Might even still be in one piece!

It's also worth mentioning that Chernobyl and Pripyat are somewhat rough around the edges, shall we say. Fantastic games in their own right and even given the troubled development of the first, it's clear a lot of love went into it.

There's various mods that tidy them up, as well as others that either flesh out unfinished content or expand upon what's there in a faithful way. All worth looking into.

But yes, avoid Clear Sky. It really is the middle child of the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Lots of great games recommended there, just a few others I can think of off the top of my head, they are not as modern but they are worth a look.

Brutal DooM (has a whole new campaign, it gives a good spin on an old classic)
    Here is me playing the latest release
    Its updated metal music is nice for the Ultra Violence but sometimes I load the PSX music wad for its atmosphere

Left 4 Dead series is well polished. Its singleplayer is still fun and the AI director tried to keep things interesting.

Alan Wake is a good story driven game with some nice mechanics.

Alien Isolation is a great experience and while not a shooter it does offer some great thrills.

A lot of these games were on special offer on steam and not now but you should be able to pick up cheap keys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

wolfenstein New order - old school type run and gun fun shooter.
    Insurgency - intense multiplayer shooter with a more realistic and tactical tone. (If you want to live trust your team mates)
    Spec Ops: The line. - game wise a decent shooter not exceptional. Story and setting wise it's a magnum opus of video game story telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Dishonored is one of the best single player FPS games in the last few years that hasn't been mentioned so far

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hard Reset is the game your after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

If you like sci fi then dead space is great. It's not fast paced but your heart might get a bit fast paced when you play it :)

Skerries wrote: »
    Dishonored is one of the best single player FPS games in the last few years that hasn't been mentioned so far

Actually, it was mentioned. :D

I've owned that game Hard Rest for what must be years at this point and never played it. Must give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Try Black Mesa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Singularity - a little-played, unpolished gem.

Dair76 wrote: »

i'd never played a game before that was so good it just pissed me off how much better it could have been

Excellent suggestion, I loved that game. Very reminiscent of Bioshock 2 in terms of gameplay mechanics and how it delivers the story, deserved to do much better than it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Super recommendations, really appreciate all the input from everyone. I have played Half-Life 1, 2 and 3 all the way through so no worries there. Also FEAR, that was an interesting one.

I'm going to pick up a few of the budget options to start with, Dead Space, Hard Reset and Binary Domain (€4 today) and give them a go.

Just kidding about HL3 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Jumping in to recommend Spec Ops: The Line.

Based on a Heart of Darkness (Apocalypse Now). Fantastic shooter and a brilliant story line to boot. Highly, highly recommend it.

Trojan wrote: »
    Just kidding about HL3 ;)

Really? I was about to ask if you were John Titor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

And what do ya know? It's down to a fiver this week on Steam!

And what do ya know? It's down to a fiver this week on Steam!

Just noticed that myself. I'd complained that it was only 25% off in previous sales, so at 75% off it's seriously tempting me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Quake 4 is a bit meh, but if you enjoyed Quake 2 single player you might like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Paikiller Black Edition is an FPS I can always reccomend. I can't believe things like FO4 are being reccomend before this. OP did say Quake, right?

https://www.gog.com/game/painkiller

Necrovision is another decent one. Comes up a lot as well in €2 bundles on the likes of Bundlestars, think I paid 79c for the sequel Lost Company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Paikiller Black Edition is an FPS I can always reccomend. I can't believe things like FO4 are being reccomend before this. OP did say Quake, right?

https://www.gog.com/game/painkiller

which ones are decent to play as I have only played the first one and I have 6 of them?

i've tried several times to love painkiller but I just can't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Skerries wrote: »
    which ones are decent to play as I have only played the first one and I have 6 of them?

You mean the expansions? Just jump into any of them. I started with Black Edition on gog, then modded that, then played H&D on Steam. It's really not something you need to think about too much... it's a mindless shooter.

I reccomend playing with the music off and getting your own favourite action tunes.

Advertisement