Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid in full but extra charge?

Options
  • 12-03-2016 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭

I am just curious really, as I will pay the extra.

Say I'm verbally quoted a cost for a consumer good (and I clarify at the time that it is inclusive of fitting). I pay for it in full that day on this basis, with a receipt docket detailing installation date and product purchased, but the shop come back an hour later and say actually that price doesn't include fitting.
    Can they linsist legally I pay for installation?
    I haven't paid this extra charge mainly because I don't now have the cash. This extra cost brings me over my budget.
    Now i know i will pay when i have it, but I am cheesed off about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Call me Al wrote: »
    I am just curious really, as I will pay the extra.

Say I'm verbally quoted a cost for a consumer good (and I clarify at the time that it is inclusive of fitting). I pay for it in full that day on this basis, with a receipt docket detailing installation date and product purchased, but the shop come back an hour later and say actually that price doesn't include fitting.
    Can they linsist legally I pay for installation?
    I haven't paid this extra charge mainly because I don't now have the cash. This extra cost brings me over my budget.
    Now i know i will pay when i have it, but I am cheesed off about this.

If the receipt states installation is included then no. What type of product is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

ted1 wrote: »
    If the receipt states installation is included then no. What type of product is it?
    It's a carpet. Usually their pricing is all inclusive but he says that this brand (it would be considered a somewhat premium brand) isn't.
    The receipt states an installation date but doesn't mention it otherwise. He was very apologetic, but carpet installation is very expensive so it's bumped my cost up considerably. I've already paid in full and I will need to wait until I have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's a carpet. Usually their pricing is all inclusive but he says that this brand (it would be considered a somewhat premium brand) isn't.
    The receipt states an installation date but doesn't mention it otherwise. He was very apologetic, but carpet installation is very expensive so it's bumped my cost up considerably. I've already paid in full and I will need to wait until I have it.

Normally the pricing is x amount per sq ft. + y for fitting and underlay.
    Most receipts will be itemised like , carpet , underlay, fitting, metal bars etc

Calling back an hour later sounds like it was a genuine mistake which was picked up when someone else looked at the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Just ask for a full refund?

• Advertisement

Calling back an hour later sounds like it was a genuine mistake which was picked up when someone else looked at the order.
    I do think this is the case. That's why I will give him the benefit of the doubt. And i will pay it. But it's almost €300 extra so I am really annoyed.
    I was just wondering really about the finality/comeback on a fully paid receipt, paid in good faith "fitted and felted" being a catchphrase used with me repeatedly.

mada82 wrote: »

No im not going to do thst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

More expensive wool carpets need stretchers around the edges as they sort of shrink over time, it could be this that is the extra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

OK, but maybe they could do something on the installation price.

- Really like the carpet
    - Paid what I consider a fair price
    - Appreciate the shop made a mistake
    - But €300 more has me in a bit of a bind
    - Can they do anything with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Tails142 wrote: »
    More expensive wool carpets need stretchers around the edges as they sort of shrink over time, it could be this that is the extra?

Stretchers (gripper) is 20€ for enough to do a house
    What size carpet are you paying 300€ to get fitted op?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Unless you're in Carpet Right that is. They were going to let me go all the way through a transaction without saying anything about fitting not being included. It wasnt until I specifically asked that I was told it would be extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mada82 wrote: »

If you won't even entertain the notion of asking for a full refund then you are at their mercy when it comes to the price of the installation. If only to improve your negotiating position, you should ask for a full refund. In all probability they will then make an offer of a reduced price for the installation to hang on to the business. Simply rolling over and not kicking up sh1t over this 'error' makes you out to be an easy touch and they will probably screw you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

coylemj wrote: »
    If you won't even entertain the notion of asking for a full refund then you are at their mercy when it comes to the price of the installation. If only to improve your negotiating position, you should ask for a full refund. In all probability they will then make an offer of a reduced price for the installation to hang on to the business. Simply rolling over and not kicking up sh1t over this 'error' makes you out to be an easy touch and they will probably screw you.

Agree with this. I'd play hardball. You were clearly quoted X price and that's what you paid.
    Tell them it has implications for your finances to exceed that and you would have thought twice about getting the carpet had you known it's true value. All true, it's reasonable you aren't in a position to pull E300 out if thin air.
    Make them an offer circa E150-200. Maybe there's something else you'd like to buy from them and you could use this "unpleasant incident" to get a good price?
    I certainly wouldn't be handing over full value over their mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Google carpet fitters and ring around a few places to get a rough idea how much it would cost before you do anything else.

Advertisement