Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TBS6982 Dual Sat Tuner Card - Disappearing in Device Manager

• 12-03-2016 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I have had this for about a year

http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6982-dvb-s2-dual-tuner-pcie-card.html

There have been some issue with it, more noticeable since upgrading to Windows 10. Tried to resolved with driver re-installs and reinstalling mediaportal multpiple times and finally realised that the when i start up the tuner often does not appear in device manager.

I tried moving to a different pci express slot on the motherboard in case that was an issue but the same thing happens (more often than not).

Anybody got any ideas what else i could try? I just restarted there and it has appeared this time.

Windows 10 is listed as supported, and it had previously been running Windows 8.

One thing i havent done is bring my other machine downstairs to the sat cables (which runs Windows 7) to see if it behaves any different in that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As you mentioned in the other thread you might consider an alternative OS to dual boot here is some of which failed to post there for me ...

You can put Openelec which is a Linux release specifically for using Kodi and its plugins as a HTPC, on to a USB stick or SD card and boot it.
    There are releases of Openelec which include the drivers for the TBS card and you can run through a plugin a backend to control the tuners (I use tvheadend but there are others).

Openelec can be set to use all storage devices attached to the PC or even on your LAN.

If you want to pursue this avenue I can supply links etc if required

;)

EDIT to add a couple of links

http://openelec.tv/home/what-is-openelec
    www.dropbox.com/sh/ymf5w62755xsxc6/AADPWI_n3MSeRX_uY-8IbDQia/6.0.1?dl=0

There are versions with various media drivers, I suggest the version with 'tbs' (official drivers) as the first option.
    The Ljalves version has open source drives for your card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I had a 6981 that started doing the exact same thing after I had owned it for a couple of years .

It would disappear , and reappear after a restart .

Sometimes it would show in MediaPortal , sometimes not , same with Device Manager .

I did the same as you , reinstalled drivers , tried different pci express slots , the results were the same .

Sometimes it would work , sometimes not .

I missed quite a few recordings because of it , as well as getting the "no free card " message in MediaPortal when trying to watch tv .

Very annoying .

I tried it in 3 different computers and eventually it stopped showing in device manager in all three .

It seemed completely dead .

I replaced it with a 6982 , and so far it's been fine (fingers crossed)

If it is a hardware problem then using a different OS (even temporarily) should show the problem also, thus helping with determining the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Cheers for the help lads. Do ye know if it is possible to run openelec from a live usb so i dont interfere with my windows install?
    As you mentioned in the other thread you might consider an alternative OS to dual boot here is some of which failed to post there for me ...

You can put Openelec which is a Linux release specifically for using Kodi and its plugins as a HTPC, on to a USB stick or SD card and boot it.
    There are releases of Openelec which include the drivers for the TBS card and you can run through a plugin a backend to control the tuners (I use tvheadend but there are others).

Openelec can be set to use all storage devices attached to the PC or even on your LAN.

If you want to pursue this avenue I can supply links etc if required

;)

EDIT to add a couple of links

http://openelec.tv/home/what-is-openelec
    www.dropbox.com/sh/ymf5w62755xsxc6/AADPWI_n3MSeRX_uY-8IbDQia/6.0.1?dl=0

There are versions with various media drivers, I suggest the version with 'tbs' (official drivers) as the first option.
    The Ljalves version has open source drives for your card.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Cheers for the help lads. Do ye know if it is possible to run openelec from a live usb so i dont interfere with my windows install?

Yes it is.
    Openelec runs as a 'live' session with the ability to save configurations to whatever you select as 'storage.

Because I do not use Windows I won't attempt to tell you how to achieve it, but there is a lot of information available about how best to achieve it.

Be sure you use a version of openelec with the TBS drivers included.

• Advertisement
Advertisement