Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st Time Boat Build... Stitch and Glue.. Advise Welcome

• 12-03-2016 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi All.
    I've had an itch to build a boat for a while that I can hopefully spin about in and catch a few mackerel during fine weather (if such a thing exists anymore).

I'm building an FS14 from bateau.
    Have plans and have purchased and started to mark out ply.
    My skill level is very low for working with timber and my fibre glassing experience is non existent.

So the marking out has begun and I'm soon to have a few spare holidays to work on her.

Been doing a bit of research on resins and the consensus seems to be that epoxy is the way to go over cheaper poly etc alternatives.

Would love some advice please on type of resins and fibreglass to use and particularly where is the best place to purchase in Ireland. Price/ quality etc.
    The recommended quantities from the plans are as follows:
    Fiberglass tape biaxial (dont understand what biaxial means) 45/45 60z 6" wide 110 yards (100m)
    Biaxial 45/45 120z 50" wide 19m (17yrds)

Epoxy resin, 24litres
    Fillers (wood flour) 12 litres

If 12oz Biaxial is not available plans suggest using 3 layers of 9oz woven tape and 2 layers for the wider sheets.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
    Lets build this.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I'm sure I can help you with any questions you might have :) Biaxial is stronger than woven but it's harder to work with and get a good finish, if you were going to bright finish go with woven. As for the epoxy west system with the pumps is very handy for a beginner it's not the cheapest but it dose what it says on the tin and it's more or less the same price everywhere, also worth checking out their web site lots of helpful videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 buggawugga

Thanks Fergal. I had read through your previous boat build. A beautiful craft. I hope you are reunited soon.

I'll post some pics and stuff once I'm on a bit in the build. Spent 2 hours today trying to figure out why dimensions weren't adding up. Finally figured it. The joys of being a newbie.

The quantities for resin from the plans are in litres but the West System is in Kg. Is 1kg = 1 litre or what is the equivalent??? Thanks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

buggawugga wrote: »
    Thanks Fergal. I had read through your previous boat build. A beautiful craft. I hope you are reunited soon.

I'll post some pics and stuff once I'm on a bit in the build. Spent 2 hours today trying to figure out why dimensions weren't adding up. Finally figured it. The joys of being a newbie.

The quantities for resin from the plans are in litres but the West System is in Kg. Is 1kg = 1 litre or what is the equivalent??? Thanks.

Yep 1kg = 1 litre These are good for fibreglass https://www.fibreglassdirect.co.uk/ they are based in Warrenpoint also http://www.shorebreaksurfboards.com/ and for real marine ply http://www.wallerwickham.ie/ they also do fibreglass and resin, not the cheapest bud good stuff, Marineparts also do west system resin and some cloth
    http://marineparts.ie/maintenance/epoxy-resins-and-fillers/

I have a friend building a similer boat he did an article in the IWN "Ireland waterways news" if you know any of the members it's worth a look.

20160312_175902_zpshzoq1oxm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭daveville30

Mbfg in the north are fairly cheap for resin.you could use iso resin bit better then standard poly resin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Allafloat

Way up Buggawugga,

Strange world - I'm Fergal's mate who's building the FS14, and this is only my second ever visit to this site... My own version is due to be launched next weekend - pretty much done but need to connect Suzuki DF15 to my console and that's been one hell of a learning curve.

Are you building the standard FS14 without too many modifications?

First thing is take your time, and check and double check all those panels before cutting them. And if you're using the metric drawings be wary as they're not nearly as clear as the original imperial ones (I pointed out some issues to Jacques at Bateau but have no idea if these have been changed).

West system is expensive, but simple enough to use. I got through 30 litres of West, and then to keep the cost down a bit (I've spent a hell of a lot more than ever imagined or admitted to the mrs!) I changed to SP106 from GRS.ie in Cork which was half the price. GRS were easy to deal with and delivered promptly.

The reason I spent so much and used so much epoxy was because I've wandered a long way from the simple plan I bought. I'd post a picture but need to work out how to on here and nothing seems obvious.

This was my first experience of stitch and glue, or working with fibreglass. I've made more than a few mistakes and am more than happy to share them in the hope you might avoid some of them. If you're anywhere near Athlone you're more than welcome to come and have a look and chew the fat over a cup of tea.

• Advertisement

Isn't she a beauty :)

Boat%20with%20wood%20_zpshhzsafys.jpg

Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate your input.
    I'm crazy busy for another couple of days at work and then I've got some time to work on the sf14.

My kids are calling the stack of timber for the build a raft as for my wife well she thinks i'm daft and It'll never happen.

Allafloat.
    Good luck with the launch.
    I'm in Mayo but might take you up on that offer of a cuppa tea sometime and pick your brains on your build. Thanks.
    Yes I'm building the standard fs14... no deviations planned as of yet. I really am unskilled in this area so we'll see how things develop.

I too had serious problems figuring out measurements... so far the stringer measurements in metric drove me mental for about 2 hours before I finally figured out what was going on.

Everybody
    Thanks for all the advise on resin etc. it will be taken into consideration. It appears that i have all the technical advisors on here that I need.. all I need to do now is get the thumb out.

Greetings B,

If you want to PM me your email address I'll fire you a copy of the article I wrote about my build - you will find it interesting I think.

I'd check all metric measurements against the imperial plans before cutting anything just to be certain. Had I done this I'd have saved 2 sheets of ply! And I found the bow former wasn't needed - no idea why but, as Fergal will confirm, all looks well and true.

Shout before glassing as you can save a shed load of work - and I mean days - by avoiding some of the mistakes I made.

It's all simple enough really, and hellish rewarding.

Allafloat

oh dear ... I only have the metric measurements.
    I've got everything marked out now except for the side panels.
    Will send you a pm with my e.mail in few mins.

On the plus side; my 8 yr old boy decided helping dad draw some lines was more interesting than the xbox. Pleasant surprise.

PM sent. Might be of some help, or possibly amusement. Great to hear that the 8 year old son is keen to get involved - I wish my father had built boats!

And when it comes to cutting the panels you're currently marking, while bloody daunting it is worth mastering the art of cutting the curves with a circular saw as they'll come out neater and truer than they would with a jigsaw.

I'll post a picture or two later this week, and hopefully one of the launch day when the reality of success or not will be very real.

• Advertisement

What a great day for the launch of this cracking little boat I was fed and watered and aloud to take her for a spin :D all while the sun was shinning "a perfect day"
    Best of luck with her I'm sure your delighted.

Good man Fergal! Great to see you today, and you were right about the fins which made very little difference other than increasing spray!

Delighted with how solid and stable Sceach feels after years in a little RIB.

Now, that Riva we were talking about...

Allafloat

Just spent 10 mins typing and it disappeared. Murphy's Law kicking my ass atm. Will post later.

Advertisement