Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Science Questions!

Options
  • 12-03-2016 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm interested in doing Dental Science at TCD and so just wondering if there's anyone out there who can give some info on how they're finding the course/ what they have heard from others?

I've read the prospectus and know what to expect work wise but do the class get on well, is there an equal gender ratio, is the course fun/ do you enjoy it, what are the pros and cons?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jude.alm

Hi there,

I'm interested in doing Dental Science at TCD and so just wondering if there's anyone out there who can give some info on how they're finding the course/ what they have heard from others?

I've read the prospectus and know what to expect work wise but do the class get on well, is there an equal gender ratio, is the course fun/ do you enjoy it, what are the pros and cons?

Thank you!

it's probably late to respond but i'v just seen this post.
    I was there as a postgrad student for few years so i have a good idea about the course.
    the course itself is pretty good but it's based on what they call "problem-based learning format" which means the students will need to put extra efforts compared to the usual format in other colleges. Regarding the gender ratio i really don't know exactly if its equal or not but i didn't notice any difference in numbers between them.
    Fun or not? it depends on what u calssify as fun :). it's a very interesting course with loads to learn and explore each day and the interaction with the patients make it even better but it is very tough and hard to keep up with specially when the clinical and lab courses start and that may take off part of the fun. i think the most obvious pros would be the prospect of a very good job in the future and the different specialities that u can choose from. u can even branch out and do ur postgrad more towards science rather than dentistry. the cons would be the hard work and the time u've to invest to get there. its not easy by any stretch of imagination. One thing i want to mention here; if u have a skilful hand to start with it is a plus in dentistry but it is not a requirment.
    i hope i answered some of ur questions. if u need to know more let me know
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭nandoslover

jude.alm wrote: »
    it's probably late to respond but i'v just seen this post.
    I was there as a postgrad student for few years so i have a good idea about the course.
    the course itself is pretty good but it's based on what they call "problem-based learning format" which means the students will need to put extra efforts compared to the usual format in other colleges. Regarding the gender ratio i really don't know exactly if its equal or not but i didn't notice any difference in numbers between them.
    Fun or not? it depends on what u calssify as fun :). it's a very interesting course with loads to learn and explore each day and the interaction with the patients make it even better but it is very tough and hard to keep up with specially when the clinical and lab courses start and that may take off part of the fun. i think the most obvious pros would be the prospect of a very good job in the future and the different specialities that u can choose from. u can even branch out and do ur postgrad more towards science rather than dentistry. the cons would be the hard work and the time u've to invest to get there. its not easy by any stretch of imagination. One thing i want to mention here; if u have a skilful hand to start with it is a plus in dentistry but it is not a requirment.
    i hope i answered some of ur questions. if u need to know more let me know
    Good luck

Thank you very much for your answer! I was wondering, does it ever get boring and tedious to be learning about the teeth in such detail?
    Also, is PBL difficult to do well in?
    Lastly, how are the hours/ holidays in dental science?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jude.alm

Thank you very much for your answer! I was wondering, does it ever get boring and tedious to be learning about the teeth in such detail?

Not really cuz u will learn about the whole human body and the different diseases that has direct/indirect effects on the teeth beside the lab work which involves technical challenges which put a bit of art twist to the work beside the scientific side of it.
    Regarding PBL, personally I don't prefer it as ( in my opinion) I don't think students are as knowledgable as the students who studied dentistry using the old school methods. I went through both and I certainly can see a difference between the two sets of students. u still can do well but the level/depth of knowledge u will gain is way better in lecture-based system.
    The hours/ day I have to say is very long cuz u almost have to work 8-5 pm every single day specially when the clinical and lab work start in the course. Reg. holidays it's pretty much as the rest of students in trinity college, starts the last week of Sept and ends the last week of May unless if u have supplementary exams then u have to set for the exams end of Aug.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Just graduated - PBL isn't a problem, notes are handed down from one year to the next and all it takes is to study them hard. The clinical aspect is a different kettle of fish as you're expected to get certain numbers of certain treatments completed and this can be very stressful as you may not have a patient who needs a certain thing, or your patients aren't good at showing up for clinics (which you get marked down for) or your supervisor makes your life difficult.

The hours are long - you could be in 8.30 - 5 and have a lecture on during your lunch (which they frequently do). Then after that you'll be hitting the library to try and keep your head above the waterline. The holidays are horrendous: your year starts last week of August (a full 5 weeks before any other trinity students) and ends at the very end of June (6 or so weeks after other trinity students). If your marks on clinics are low they may keep you back for a 2 week "remedial period" which brings you into July and if you have to sit supplementals you can plain forget about having a summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ciara18

Sorry, maybe no-one will see this, but I'm just wondering how much of an impact PBL has on the course in reality? Are most lectures still traditional style or are they removed completely? Is it something that someone considering the TCD course should make or break their decision about?

• Advertisement

ciara18 wrote: »
    Sorry, maybe no-one will see this, but I'm just wondering how much of an impact PBL has on the course in reality? Are most lectures still traditional style or are they removed completely? Is it something that someone considering the TCD course should make or break their decision about?
    No, it's the best dental degree you can get on this island even with PBL.  There's far more hands-on learning and treating patients than Cork or Belfast and that is far more important than the theoretical element of dentistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ciara18

No, it's the best dental degree you can get on this island even with PBL.  There's far more hands-on learning and treating patients than Cork or Belfast and that is far more important than the theoretical element of dentistry.

Thanks a lot, that's interesting! Do you know if all modules are taught in the PBL format or just a portion of them?

The vast majority is PBL but there are also lectures (in later years they squeeze these in at lunchtime or after 5 so as not to get in the way of clinics)

Advertisement