Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gratitude is an Attitude

• 12-03-2016 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

Gratitude -like it or not, has a lot to do with determining our future. When we have "real" or "spiritualistic" like gratitude, our lives can change immensely.

You see, there is a true freedom that comes from true gratitude. Gratitude provides a sense of stability -of well being. Gratitude is well underrated in my opinion. Just to be able to be thankful for a small insignificant event in one's life can be life changing. Well, enough of this talk for me. I just want to challenge myself to write something that I am grateful for -for each of the next 30 days. I have to start small today because that is where I am -but I hope to improve.

Please, any others just add your gratitude thought. It helps each of us to learn to be more grateful. Thank you for helping.

Day 1: I am grateful to be vertical and know where I am. I am grateful to have another day where I don't want to drink again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Day 2
    I am grateful to being happily and easily Alcohol free away from home in a place where in the past, I would have been sneaking around looking just to have that one for a Sunday morning !!!!

Day 3
    I am grateful that my first thought after waking this morning was about the excitement of the day to come; got so many positive things I want to do today -maybe even have some fun. It was not to long ago (well7years) that my first thought after waking was how to get some alcohol into my system so that I could somewhat function for a few hours. How in the world could I not be grateful for this ?

Day 4

I'm grateful for mornings in which I wake up feeling positive and healthy and strong. Bing the day on.

Day 5

I'm grateful that, after years in an alcoholic fog, I still have some good friends in my life. I'm planning today to reach out to them and take steps to strengthen bonds.

Day 6

Today I am grateful for the stress level in my life declining,and especially how I am dealing with it, no more running to hide my problems through the fog of alcohol.

• Advertisement

Day 7

Today I am grateful for freedom, to make choices that aren't affected by worrying where the next drink will be.

Day 8

I am grateful that I know I don't need to engage in unnecessary conflict, and I am far happier and peaceful acknowledging it, then working out whether I need to deal with it, or is it so trivial that really, I can just skateboard around it.

Day 9

Today I'm grateful that I'm no longer overcome by my emotions, I deal with them head-on now and not let them anger or depress me...

Day 10

Grateful to be able to drive to work this morning not worrying about being pulled over and breathalysed, not worrying whether colleagues or friends would smell the drink off me.

Day 11

Today I'm grateful that I'm able to ENJOY my sobriety. Instead of feeling sorry that I had to "give up" something, I'm able to think of so many things I've gotten in my life. I'm not sure if it's strength, or fear that keeps me sober. But I know I can never go back to how my life was before. Each day is as wonderful in how I make it, instead of something to just drag myself through. No drug can replace that. No drug can make me feel the way I feel now.

• Advertisement

Day 12

Give yourself some gratitude, Lend yourself to others, but give yourself to yourself."

Day 13

Whenever I get completely sick of the internet and being so connected, I stop and think about how I likely wouldn't have the life I have today if this technology hadn't been developed and become so widely accessible when it did. The old WWW actually is high up on my gratitude list.

Day 14

Today, I am grateful to know that there is a group of us that share the similar paths to rebuilding our own better lives - all as a result of alcohol.

Day 15

Today I am grateful to be looking at something new and exciting for my work. I am honestly not sure if I would have had the courage if I was still drinking.

day 16

I am grateful I i have this forum to help give me support while I work on being AF, I'm also grateful for the feeling of being sober and still wanting to take a Sunday nap, instead of feeling hungover and needing one because I feel so lousy. happy Easter everyone.

day 17

I am grateful that I wake up on Monday mornings and no longer spend my entire morning worrying about what damage I may have caused on the weekend relative to drinking. No, this does not always mean that I am looking forward to the potential hassles of beginning a new week, but it does mean that I can focus on what the day and week might bring -in positive ways. I also do not have to spend thoughts about what the earliest time of the day that I can begin drinking in an effort to not 'feel'.

day 18

I'm grateful for last night. Nice conversation, good food, and good friends, being present so I could be a part of the conversation, and not a sloppy drunk trying to pretend I knew what was being said.

Day 19

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."
    ~ Lou Holtz

Day 20

I'm grateful for not drinking today.

• Advertisement

Day 21

I am grateful for the 'real' peace that comes as a result of listening, learning, and sobriety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Good to see you are still flying mouse.

Day 22

Grateful for being over seven years sober.
    Even grateful for those difficult days. Made me who I am today.

Day 23

Today I am grateful for the fact that my body and mind are capable of healing themselves from the years of abuse, as long as I live healthy and ingest no more poison. We are resilient creatures indeed.

Day 24
    Today is Monday. I'm grateful for having a clear head for my long day at work,its a great feeling as i remember only to well the horrors of previous mondays....

Day 25
    Today I am grateful just to be alive in this world, and doing the best I can to make the days count.

Day 26, nearly there :-)

Been feeling weak the last couple days, both physically and emotionally. I'm grateful that today is another chance, another 24 hours, in which to practice the tools I've learned to get a tiny bit stronger.

Day 27

I am grateful to know that I have a choice to change my perception and my thoughts -any time that I choose. It is in the choosing that I sometimes struggle -but I am still grateful.
    Alcohol never allowed this choice -regardless.

Day 28
    Grateful I was able to remind myself these sad feelings won't last forever, it will pass.
    It comes from me and nowhere else.
    I will survive & lots of people have it much worse.

• Advertisement

Two more days ...

Advertisement