Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Rating - Mortgage Application

• 12-03-2016 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I emigrated just under 6 years ago. When I left I had a personal credit card that I wasn't using that much. Between moving and changing address the card expired and I was issued a new one which then needed to be activated on my online banking. But I had moved and had to send letters in to the bank change my registered address so that I could have the activation letter sent to my new address, then activate the new card on online banking and then pay the balance.

Anyway - by the time it all got sorted and with the distraction of moving country and all that entails, when I finally paid the small balance, it was 91 days overdue, meaning the credit agreement automatically terminated and I was technically in default. I asked the bank at the time if this would affect my credit rating and they said that yes, it would be noted, but it would also be noted that the balance was cleared quickly.

So now I am applying for a mortgage. Will this impact on my application? This is the only blemish on an otherwise clean credit history. I have taken out and repaid in full bank loans and also a mortgage that has been redeemed without a missed payment.

Will this impact my ability to get a mortgage? Is there something I should do? Should I bring it up with the bank before they find out?

I would be grateful for any insight people have.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

If it's as you advise I don't expect it to be an issue, even if it's still on your ICB record.

Your repayment record is impeccable, it should be easy to prove the issue arose from moving home and the negligible balance was clearly something you could have cleared at any time, given you had much higher loans and a mortgage.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Anything over 5 years old isnt an issue - you can request your credit report from ICB to be sure it helped me put my mind at ease when I thought my overdraft might affect :)

Advertisement