Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop Build Advice!

Options
  • 12-03-2016 6:03pm

Hello there :)

I am in the middle of finishing my Degree in I.T. and I am looking for a Desktop for programming/ some other things like Photoshop, emulation etc.

I want to spent 500 at most for the moment but would like something that can be upgraded in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You're buying I presume, as opposed to building?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Good question, obviously you can get some good deals when buying pre-built but the most value lies in building.
    Another question is portability; Do you need to stay mobile constantly or will most of your work be stationary? This might lead you down a laptop/ITX route.

I would advise looking for a Core i5 6400, on a H150/B150 board (you could jump to H170 if you need/will need lots of drives) and getting around 16GB DDR4 RAM. After that, you only need a case, a 500W PSU (so you can add a Discrete GPU later) and drives.
    That would cost around €440 +- €15

You're buying I presume, as opposed to building?
    Well I was willing to build but buying would have been preferred. I bought one on ebay.
    Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    Good question, obviously you can get some good deals when buying pre-built but the most value lies in building.
    Another question is portability; Do you need to stay mobile constantly or will most of your work be stationary? This might lead you down a laptop/ITX route.

I would advise looking for a Core i5 6400, on a H150/B150 board (you could jump to H170 if you need/will need lots of drives) and getting around 16GB DDR4 RAM. After that, you only need a case, a 500W PSU (so you can add a Discrete GPU later) and drives.
    That would cost around €440 +- €15

I ended buying a rig on ebay.

I bought ths:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/191593337071?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I know I could have done better for the money but I was happy enough to pay extra for the ease of just buying it. With this I can upgrade in the future if needs be, which I dont think will be for a while. I have an SSD already, so I can install that when the desktop arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The only problem with that PC is the GPU, which is absolute garbage and won't really play any new games. It also will have a no-brand low quality PSU, which will needed to be replaced if you want to put a gaming card into the machine.

If you're not going to be gaming of course it's not a big deal.

The only problem with that PC is the GPU, which is absolute garbage and won't really play any new games. It also will have a no-brand low quality PSU, which will needed to be replaced if you want to put a gaming card into the machine.

If you're not going to be gaming of course it's not a big deal.

Main purpose of this wasn't to game but in a while if I decide to game I'll replace psu and gpu at same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

GT 730....Gaming PC XD Oh I love these sellers.
    Doesn't look too bad of a deal I guess. Good luck with the PC!

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    GT 730....Gaming PC XD Oh I love these sellers.
    Doesn't look too bad of a deal I guess. Good luck with the PC!

Yeah I knew how strong the gpu was when buying the tower but I wasn't buying the PC for gaming so I didn't mind to much. I'd say game I probably would want to play on PC is football manager at most because I am not a pc gamer, I'm a console peasant :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Yeah I knew how strong the gpu was when buying the tower but I wasn't buying the PC for gaming so I didn't mind to much. I'd say game I probably would want to play on PC is football manager at most because I am not a pc gamer, I'm a console peasant :cool:

Accchh quickly. close the doors on him. The 720p. it burns my eyes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Would have cost €360 in parts to build yourself.
    If I lived near you I would have built it in exchange for a few cups of tea.

tuxy wrote: »
    Would have cost €360 in parts to build yourself.
    If I lived near you I would have built it in exchange for a few cups of tea.

haha cheers! I can actually build them myself, I took a year course in computer maintenance. I was just to lazy and wanted the thing to come asap pre built, didn't mind the extra cost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement