Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find beer (micro)brewery tours in Dublin

Options
  • 12-03-2016 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Apart from the Guinness Storehouse tours, I can't find any craft beer brewery tours. JW Sweetman was a candidate, but I found from them today that they don't do tours anymore (tastings and lunch, yes).

Does anyone know of any place in Dublin City that have craft beer tours?

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Seanie M wrote: »
    Apart from the Guinness Storehouse tours, I can't find any craft beer brewery tours. JW Sweetman was a candidate, but I found from them today that they don't do tours anymore (tastings and lunch, yes).

Does anyone know of any place in Dublin City that have craft beer tours?

Seanie.

I think Five Lamps brewery will organise tours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Not really. Breweries are just factories; Irish licensing law doesn't allow them to be tourist attractions like in other countries.

If you ring/tweet/facebook them, they might show you round if someone's available. Dublin's other breweries are Rascal's in Rathcoole, Porterhouse in Ballycoolin, Five Lamps in the Liberties, Craftworks in Broombridge and Ravenbrew in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

matrim wrote: »
    I think Five Lamps brewery will organise tours.

Still waiting for them to get back to me with info.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

BeerNut wrote: »
    Not really. Breweries are just factories; Irish licensing law doesn't allow them to be tourist attractions like in other countries.

If you ring/tweet/facebook them, they might show you round if someone's available. Dublin's other breweries are Rascal's in Rathcoole, Porterhouse in Ballycoolin, Five Lamps in the Liberties, Craftworks in Broombridge and Ravenbrew in Swords.

How do distilleries get around that, and why did some craft beer producers have tours up to the recent past?

Seanie.

Seanie M wrote: »
    How do distilleries get around that, and why did some craft beer producers have tours up to the recent past?
    By "some" do you mean Sweetman's? They're a pub so can sell beer. Also their brewery tour didn't include a tour of the brewery.

I assume Teeling's has a full pub licence, like the Open Gate does. The whiskey business can afford things like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

What about the license would prevent them offering tours, paid or otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Ste.phen wrote: »
    What about the license would prevent them offering tours, paid or otherwise?

They can't offer tastings without a licence so it's not much of a tour without a drink at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

AlanG wrote: »
    They can't offer tastings without a licence so it's not much of a tour without a drink at the end.

What about tastings of wine in supermarkets?

I've been offered a thimble of wine in Tesco or Dunnes over the years. Surely they don't have a licence for that?

If you pay for the tour and there's a complimentary drink at the end does that contravene the law as they're not selling you alcohol, just providing it free for refreshment?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What about tastings of wine in supermarkets?

I've been offered a thimble of wine in Tesco or Dunnes over the years. Surely they don't have a licence for that?

If you pay for the tour and there's a complimentary drink at the end does that contravene the law as they're not selling you alcohol, just providing it free for refreshment?

Tesco/Dunnes have alcohol sales licences; more often than not actually a full pub licence transferred over. Breweries don't.

They would have to give the tour for free if they wanted to give samples

There are breweries that offer a paid tour which include beer (see Jack Cody's here, for instance) but it's a grey area (as in, I think it's illegal; they, presumably, don't). The minimum amount a brewery is allowed to sell you under a brewer's licence is ~20 litres. It's specifically designed to ensure they act as wholesalers only, unless they get a separate on or off trade licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

AnonoBoy wrote: »

I don't know the details of the law but I remember seeing a representative of a brewing or distilling association on nationwide or a similar programme recently calling for a change in the law to allow them to serve tasters without a pub licence.

Advertisement