Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa to USA

Options
  • 12-03-2016 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hi,

I know its very hard to get a visa to the states for work.

But I have a quick question for you guys.

I am registered for exam only (non attending) for college so technically I am a student.

If I finish my exams this year (August) can I then apply for the 1 year long Graduate visa.

Also when the visa expires after 12 months is there any way of extending it if you have employment in the states.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I have no idea about qualifying for Graduate visa as an exam only student (would have my doubts)

But you do not have the option of extending the visa. You employer would have to apply for a full work visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

I understand what you mean but technically I would be a graduate, in the same boat as a full time, part, online student etc....

is there any website or organisation that has the answers to this question?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You don't qualify for the graduate visa. You only qualify, if you are a recent graduate of degree level course, that you were physically attending. It can be on a full time, or a part time basis. So a person who is studying for their Masters on a part time basis (while they have a full time job,) would qualify, just as well as someone doing a 4 year batchelors degree on a full time basis. You are doing neither, so you don't qualify. Someone doing an online course doesn't qualify for it either btw. Your course has to be class room based, to qualify for it.

Does your college still have you officially enrolled a student with them, as you have yet to sit your final exams? If they do, you may be in luck. But it's not a given that they will, just because there is a big gap between when you stopped attending lectures & when sit your exams. It can't hurt to contact them and find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

I will be sitting exams with attending students and graduating with them at the same time..I am enrolled as a student but have picked the option for exam only not attending

Advertisement