Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport renew

Options
  • 13-03-2016 6:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

Hi. I know this topic has been done to death previously but i can't find anything recent so just looking for more updated info. I'm planning a visit home later in the year but my passport will be out of the 6 month validity range by then so need to start looking a renewel. Anyway, how long nowadays does it take to go through australian avenues or is it quicker to send the forms to ireland and get someone there to send it off to the passport offices?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Noo wrote: »
    Hi. I know this topic has been done to death previously but i can't find anything recent so just looking for more updated info. I'm planning a visit home later in the year but my passport will be out of the 6 month validity range by then so need to start looking a renewel. Anyway, how long nowadays does it take to go through australian avenues or is it quicker to send the forms to ireland and get someone there to send it off to the passport offices?

Thanks
    Get it renewed when you're back in Ireland, you can get back in a week if you use their express option at any postoffice. I think you can get it done faster if you're really stuck for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 AineM2013

It's supposed to take 6 weeks. I sent my application for renewal 3 weeks ago...hoping it gets back on time!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

When you are back in Ireland, there wouldnt be a chance of it getting done in a week. It is at least 10 working days & more in summer months.

If you do renew your passport the next time you're back in Ireland be sure to bring your old passport with you for reentering Australia. My wife emailed IMMI (or whatever it's called now) with her new passport details as you're supposed to do but when we arrived back in OZ they stopped her on her new passport. She showed them her expired one so then they manually updated her details.

Didn't seem to matter though, the next time we were leaving she had to go through the process again. Thankfully after the previous episode she thought it best to bring her old passport again.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

catbear wrote: »
    If you do renew your passport the next time you're back in Ireland be sure to bring your old passport with you for reentering Australia. My wife emailed IMMI (or whatever it's called now) with her new passport details as you're supposed to do but when we arrived back in OZ they stopped her on her new passport. She showed them her expired one so then they manually updated her details.

Didn't seem to matter though, the next time we were leaving she had to go through the process again. Thankfully after the previous episode she thought it best to bring her old passport again.

Ya cant jus email them an expect them to change it for you there an then .
    Theres a process to go through , as with every visa you need to fill out forms for change of passport details , change of address etc .
    You need to fill out the correct form with new and old details of passport on it and sign it and send it to them..
    They specify this for every visa - check the " after your visa has been granted" section on immi and it clearly says this is the way its supposed to be done .!

Always people complaining about immigration at the airport when half the time its simple things like this and its thier own fault for not been organised.

OP
    I got a new passport last year and it took 9 weeks .. Applyed start of may.
    If your in sydney apply through sydney office , if your anywhere else in oz apply through canberra office . An be careful which form u get because they look similar but slightly different ! And wont work if you use the wrong one..

• Advertisement

NIALL D wrote: »
    Ya cant jus email them an expect them to change it for you there an then .
    Theres a process to go through , as with every visa you need to fill out forms for change of passport details , change of address etc .
    You need to fill out the correct form with new and old details of passport on it and sign it and send it to them..
    They specify this for every visa - check the " after your visa has been granted" section on immi and it clearly says this is the way its supposed to be done .!

Always people complaining about immigration at the airport when half the time its simple things like this and its thier own fault for not been organised.

But just because you need it spoon fed to you here you go:

A. I don't how exactly about her correspondence about updating her info with IMMI was done, she said she followed the instructions as given for doing so.

B. IMMI (or whatever it's called now) entered her new details themselves, manually, in front of us at the airport upon arrival. I saw them do it.

C. It had to be done again the next time we passed though passport control.

So Niall just like you, IMMI (or whatever it's called now) can make mistakes processing the information when it's laid out in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

catbear wrote: »
    But just because you need it spoon fed to you here you go:

A. I don't how exactly about her correspondence about updating her info with IMMI was done, she said she followed the instructions as given for doing so.

B. IMMI (or whatever it's called now) entered her new details themselves, manually, in front of us at the airport upon arrival. I saw them do it.

C. It had to be done again the next time we passed though passport control.

So Niall just like you, IMMI (or whatever it's called now) can make mistakes processing the information when it's laid out in front of them.

Haha , settle down , no need for spoon feeding mate ..!
    It is a bit ridicilous if you did have trouble in the airport twice , details should have been updated and everything sorted first time but im sure once the changes are made in the airport it still needs to be approved in the immigration department !!
    But anyway updating details is a simple process , just follow the instructions given on the immigration website after your visa has been granted and you should have no problems , and avoid airport delays..

NIALL D wrote: »
    It is a bit ridicilous if you did have trouble in the airport twice , details should have been updated and everything sorted first time but im sure once the changes are made in the airport it still needs to be approved in the immigration department !!
    But anyway updating details is a simple process , just follow the instructions given on the immigration website after your visa has been granted and you should have no problems , and avoid airport delays..
    A. Border control and Immigration are the same department.

B. For the third time she followed the procedures for updating her details.

You seem to have a great difficulty registering this information.

Perhaps you already work for the australian department for border security and immigration?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

We renewed two passports last year from Australia, it took about 7 weeks or so. We are in Sydney so they went through the consulate there. It is nearly easier to get them done from here, a JP can do all the witnessing and signing of section 7 and 9.
    We have one to post off this week again, the hardest part is being over here and not having a passport while you are sending it for renewal, I feel a bit uneasy during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Hi guys OP here, just another question im desperately trying to find an answer on. I posted my application to canberra last week with my current passport just having over 6 months validity (so i took the option of sending a copy of my information page as you can do it if yout passport is still valid). Anyway, i now find myself with an impromptu trip to nz in 7 weeks, now after some research it seems ill have no issues travelling to and from nz as they only require 3 months validity and the irish info say you can travel while an application is being processed if you have a valid passport....my question is what happens if the trip is just in the wrong timeframe between my new passport being issued in ireland and it arriving to me, as i would assume during this short window my current passport would have been cancelled?

I will try call the embassy on monday and see if they could shed some light.on it but if anyone has had an similar experience it would be helpful. Thanks

Edit: i managed to find one answer totally relevent where the guy was told by the passport office that its not recorded as cancelled internationally because it wasnt lost or stolen, that the cancellation for a renewel is only in the irish system and he could still travel. The guys said he got his passport in time so it didnt matter in the end. I think i will still call someone to confirm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement