Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't choose a house

Options
  • 13-03-2016 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

This selling and buying craic just isn't what it's made out to be.

We have had 2 people who have gone sale agreed on our house, the 2ND pulled out on the day they were meant to sign.

We have had to pull out of 2 purchases because the bank wouldn't issue a mortgage due to estates not being in control.

We finally have a buyer who we feel will go ahead with the purchase and we have narrowed our search down to 2 houses and we are stuck.

I'm hoping some people can lend some advice.

Both houses roughly the same size and layout.

House A was built in the 70s, is close to a town centre, shops etc.
    It is 15 minutes from one of our kids schools and 30min from our other 2s school (we are not in a position to move schools, special needs school)
    While it is close to everything, it has a very small back garden, parking for 1 car. There is no green area in the estate.

House B is a new build, 25 and 40 min away from schools, 15 min away from decent shops (there are 2 small shops in the village)
    It has a large front and back garden and double driveway.

We are trying to way up the pros and cons of them both and we are stuck.
    As we have lost out on other sales we have learnt not to get emotionally attached to a properties, we can't even say which one "feels right"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

hairyslug wrote: »
    We we trying to way up the pros and construction of them both and we are stuck.
    Buy B. Mainly for one aspect - thermal performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Normally I'd say House A but the 1 parking space concerns me because with those distances to the kids schools it sounds like you're going to need two cars?

House B just sounds too far away from everything to me especially the schools. 30mins & 15 mins is pushing it but 40mins & 25mins just sounds like a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Will your kids qualify for transport to the special school? Would travelling 40+ minutes (considering traffic) be difficult for them? That adds quite a significant length to their school day so that's something to consider.

Kids don't really need a large back garden, just somewhere they can play and get fresh air.

Older built houses tend to be (not always though) sturdier and better quality builds than many of the newer builds.

Also as the children grow older they will want to spend more time closer to 'civilisation' and if you have quite a distance from town you will both be playing taxi.

For me I would definitely choose the closer of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

They get transport and at the moment it takes them 70min to get in (the lack of SN schools in Wicklow is an argument for another day)

I'm in favour of house b, but I'm really trying to be impartial, chances are, 2 of our children will be living with us for sometime so this house gives us the ability to extend, I also grew up in an estate with large green areas but things have changed since I was a kid.

The closeness of house a to a town is a big pull and the house internally looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

If the children are used to a longer drive, house b has more scope to extend and more space (as it stands) it's a bit of a no brainer.

If it's a life home you have to think long term.

You'll get used to driving into town when you need to, but less space and few outside areas you may not get used to so easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

House b for me for sure. An extra 10 min drive shouldn't be a deciding factor when the drive is less than the original. The garden is something your children will utilise even if you don't. Newer build more than likely has a much better energy rating. The inside of the house can change over time.

I also wouldn't get too hung up on either as you may not get the sale agreed. Hopefully you do. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Toss a coin. While it's in the air you will realise which one you want to win and voila!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

OP I would choose house A based on the travel time location location location.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Whats your heart saying ?

Which house are you day dreaming about ?

Maybe its neither house.

I feel in love in my house, the minute I saw it, and it was in bits, but I know it was the one, just had to talk himself into it. I used to dream of what I would do to change it and it felt right anytime I visitied it

Normally go for A as better build but I think its important to have space in back garden especially if you have a child with special needs.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If the children are used to a longer drive, house b has more scope to extend and more space (as it stands) it's a bit of a no brainer.

If it's a life home you have to think long term.

You'll get used to driving into town when you need to, but less space and few outside areas you may not get used to so easily.

Also if it's a new build estate, there's every chance a few shops etc will spring up closer to it over time. When I first moved in to my apartment, the complex wasn't finished, and we were about 15 mins away from local shops etc. Now we've got shops, takeaways, chemist, doctor and dentist right on the doorstep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Which house currently has decent broadband access? Try living with 2Mb DSL with kids and you'll see how important that is.

Advertisement