Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Poisoned in Blackrock

Options
  • 13-03-2016 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Luckily he was rushed to the vets and survived - this is mainly a warning to anyone walking their dogs in Blackrock - this was down around the Priests beach. Vet couldn't say whether the poison was natural eg blue-green algal bloom or chemical eg weed killers, raw sewerage, or something more malevolent. In any event keep the dogs on the leads round that area and make sure they don't drink the sea water or go rooting around looking for food - our silly mutt also eats grass so make sure they don't do that either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

So was the dog poisoned or did he eat something that may have had poison on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

event wrote: »
    So was the dog poisoned or did he eat something that may have had poison on it?

Maybe a thanks would be more suitable than a bit of bullsh!t nit picking - if you had read the post you would see that it could have been either - also if you kept an eye on Talk of the Town recently you would also see that it could have been either. Either way you're very welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Maybe a thanks would be more suitable than a bit of bullsh!t nit picking - if you had read the post you would see that it could have been either - also if you kept an eye on Talk of the Town recently you would also see that it could have been either. Either way you're very welcome.

But accidental poisoning can happen anywhere anytime. It's one of the reasons you always make sure your dog doesn't eat anything you don't give it, particularly when out walking.

So instead of maybe letting people know that there's additional risk of an animal either accidentally or purposefully being poisoned I should just keep quiet, just to avoid being judged - serves me right for being helpful :rolleyes:

So instead of maybe letting people know that there's additional risk of an animal either accidentally or purposefully being poisoned I should just keep quiet, just to avoid being judged - serves me right for being helpful :rolleyes:

I think you're been over sensitive to perfectly civil replies and questions.

• Advertisement

Whereas I think you and the other poster have been insensitive by insinuating that there's either some other agenda or that I don't know how to look after an animal in my care. Bottom line was a warning to others using the area to be careful - no need to dissect it in order to maintain the keyboard warrior edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

I think it was a cynical maybe even snide comment by event, it certainly was daft! "Was the dog poisoned or did he eat something that had poison on it".... eh same difference - the dog was poisoned, its unclear whether it was accidental, incidental, or sinister. As dog owner in the area the heads up is appreciated an I will duly take additional care. Bloody nuisance though as the dog is a Springer Spaniel that likes nothing more than getting off the lead and plodding around in the wettest, muckiest places there are and belting it through long grass. Smell in the boot of the care after annoys the hell out of the GF:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Wow, complete over-reaction. The question was very simple and required a simple answer - was this as a result of some demonic dog-hater who slipped something nasty into fido's dinner, or was it a random piece of something the dog should not have eaten? Very simple and definitely deserved a polite answer, not hysterical shrieking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Luckily he was rushed to the vets and survived - this is mainly a warning to anyone walking their dogs in Blackrock - this was down around the Priests beach. Vet couldn't say whether the poison was natural eg blue-green algal bloom or chemical eg weed killers, raw sewerage, or something more malevolent. In any event keep the dogs on the leads round that area and make sure they don't drink the sea water or go rooting around looking for food - our silly mutt also eats grass so make sure they don't do that either.

Doesnt this answer things? Why there was an (over)reaction and why I initially questioned the purpose of the eh question. No matter, the dog is let lose in a field now that the farmer kindly said he didnt mind so less mud for now so less smell and most importantly safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

Read today that LSPCA are concerned there may a serial poisoner of dogs active on navvy bank!! Don't understand the logic of wanting to harm other living creatures myself but it takes all sorts to make world go round!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Wow, slight over reaction.

Thanks for the warning though, it wasn't in any way vague or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

event wrote:
    Thanks for the warning though, it wasn't in any way vague or anything

It wasn't remotely vague. The OP simply came on to his local forum to give fellow dog owners the heads up about a possible issue in a certain area. He stated that the vet didn't know if was A or B. So your question was moot and really only asked as a dig at the wording of his thread title.

Its replies like those that make people such as the OP not to bother posting the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

BlueLass wrote: »
    Read today that LSPCA are concerned there may a serial poisoner of dogs active on navvy bank!! Don't understand the logic of wanting to harm other living creatures myself but it takes all sorts to make world go round!!
    I walk my hunting dogs on the navy bank will be staying away from their how many cases of poisoned dogs were their,some sick people out their.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Where are good spots to go with the dog that you can let them off the lead nowadays? i Used to go to the beach in blackrock but been struggling to get out there recently and this thread hasnt put me in any form for going. Cant go down the Navy bank now either due to the spate of poisonings....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

rogieop wrote: »
    Where are good spots to go with the dog that you can let them off the lead nowadays? i Used to go to the beach in blackrock but been struggling to get out there recently and this thread hasnt put me in any form for going. Cant go down the Navy bank now either due to the spate of poisonings....
    I used to take my dog to ravensdale, used to love getting lost in the forest for a few hours but ever since the car got broken into I don't go near it any more! Ice house hill is a good walk also, great for chasing his tennis ball on a string.

I used to take my dog to ravensdale, used to love getting lost in the forest for a few hours but ever since the car got broken into I don't go near it any more! Ice house hill is a good walk also, great for chasing his tennis ball on a string.

I thought the Bye laws at Ice House Hill stated dogs must be kept on the leash.

I thought the Bye laws at Ice House Hill stated dogs must be kept on the leash.

New bye-laws in Co. Louth in force since the 16th March 2016 require all dogs to be on a leash in a public place anywhere in the County: http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Louth_County_Council/Bye_Laws_of_Council/Louth-Co-Co-Dog-Litter-and-Dog-Control-Bye-Laws-2015.pdf. Doesn't seem to have made any difference so far...

New bye-laws in Co. Louth in force since the 16th March 2016 require all dogs to be on a leash in a public place anywhere in the County: http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Louth_County_Council/Bye_Laws_of_Council/Louth-Co-Co-Dog-Litter-and-Dog-Control-Bye-Laws-2015.pdf. Doesn't seem to have made any difference so far...

And carry receptacles for dog poop as well, I see.

Glad I have my fields to run a dog in, because it now appears you can be fined for letting a dog run anywhere but on your own property.

And carry receptacles for dog poop as well, I see.

Glad I have my fields to run a dog in, because it now appears you can be fined for letting a dog run anywhere but on your own property.

Maybe you could rent your fields out for peop0le to run their dogs in. It's a step too far in my opinion, and as for the number of bags to carry - 1 for when they do the business, a spare and maybe another spare in case you get lucky enough to find a bin for the first bag - bureaucracy gone mad as usual!

Maybe you could rent your fields out for peop0le to run their dogs in. It's a step too far in my opinion, and as for the number of bags to carry - 1 for when they do the business, a spare and maybe another spare in case you get lucky enough to find a bin for the first bag - bureaucracy gone mad as usual!

I don't fully agree. I think it's a good thing and in line, generally, with responsible dog ownership. I don't have a problem with it personally, as I never let a dog loose in a public place and always carry a roll of bags when walking a dog.

• Advertisement

I don't fully agree. I think it's a good thing and in line, generally, with responsible dog ownership. I don't have a problem with it personally, as I never let a dog loose in a public place and always carry a roll of bags when walking a dog.

Always carry bags too - but letting the dog off for a run in St Helena's park to chase a stick every now and then should still be acceptable.

Always carry bags too - but letting the dog off for a run in St Helena's park to chase a stick every now and then should still be acceptable.

Not if there's a chance of anybody else being about. I have seen many people who are afraid of dogs and it's terrifying for some to see a loose dog in the park. I don't know the answer, unless we go the way of some cities where there are enclosed areas set aside for dogs to have a run .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Sorry for going OT here but, I've recently just discovered Blackrock for myself (I've started working around there) and it's a lovely place altogether, some lovely houses and some very nice people too.

I use ice househill the odd time myself but always have to keep the dog on the leash.She is young and gets excited and isnt always too willing to come back!! Anyway tried there this morning at 9am thinking there would be no one else about and i could let her have a wander but the gates were locked.

Looks like ravensdale is the only real option. Not really worried about anyone breaking into my car as long as they promise to either burn it out or take it with them!! :D

rogieop wrote: »
    I use ice househill the odd time myself but always have to keep the dog on the leash.She is young and gets excited and isnt always too willing to come back!! Anyway tried there this morning at 9am thinking there would be no one else about and i could let her have a wander but the gates were locked.

Looks like ravensdale is the only real option. Not really worried about anyone breaking into my car as long as they promise to either burn it out or take it with them!! :D

By law now you'll have to keep her on the leash in Ravensdale too.

By law now you'll have to keep her on the leash in Ravensdale too.

Of all the (ridiculous)laws i break on a daily/weekly/monthly basis... this will be the least of my worries!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

allways run my dogs on the beach well out on strand ,does anyone no what clowns on the council supported this law , don't care will still run my dogs on the beach,what next a ban on all dogs been kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

That new law is much worse that you seem to realise. Paragraph (b)(iv) says:
    any premises, walkway, public park, public open space, outdoor area, or other place to which members of the public have or are permitted to have access, whether as of right or as a trespasser or otherwise, or by express or implied permission, or whether on payment or otherwise,
    In other words, in any outdoor area around your house (your garden) or where you keep your animals (your farm), to which trespassers have access, you must have your dog on a leash.

Paragraph (b)(v) says:
    any foreshore, beach or coastal waters within or adjoining the administrative area of Louth County Council
    So if your dogs want to go for a swim in Louth (or adjoining Meath), they must be on a leash. I have 2 labradors - I can't imaging them swimming on the end of a leash, and I have no intention of jumping into the water with them in the depths of winter either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've a dog myself and always have had. All dogs should be kept on a leash in a public place be it beach, park or forest. Dog owners need to accept that some people and children are afraid of dogs and the sight of a dog running free regularly puts people off a walk or sends their heart cross-ways if they're already out and about.

OP, thanks for the heads-up, you're not the first person I've heard effected by this. Hope the dog is ok.
    bpmurray wrote: »
    In other words, in any outdoor area around your house (your garden) or where you keep your animals (your farm), to which trespassers have access, you must have your dog on a leash.

That's nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

I'm all for the changes... everyone should be carrying bags etc. to pick up after their dogs... however...

They really need to supply more bins around town, I have often walked for 5/10/15 minutes and sometimes out of my way trying to find a bin

It can be a nightmare with buggy's and kids in tow.. especially if I have to cross the road to get one.

Advertisement