Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Poisoned in Blackrock

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

bpmurray wrote: »
    That new law is much worse that you seem to realise. Paragraph (b)(iv) says:

In other words, in any outdoor area around your house (your garden) or where you keep your animals (your farm), to which trespassers have access, you must have your dog on a leash.

Thats is daft and the end to the concept of a guard dog. Wonder if it extends to trespassers in a house where a dog is kept? How the bye-law would stand up to scrutiny if a dog takes a lump out of some unwelcome 'visitor' in a locked up area but off a lead.

As for bins, I never really noticed a shortage tbh. I will say that one of the most disgusting things ive seen were dog poop bins on the promenade in Southend, England. The bins weren't emptied over the weekend from 5pm Friday so they overflowed and then owners just chucked bags of sh*te or emptied their scoop at the base of the bin. There was a few of them and on a warm day the stink was dreadful and no amount of complaints seemed to make a difference. Just as an aside...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Thats is daft and the end to the concept of a guard dog. Wonder if it extends to trespassers in a house where a dog is kept? How the bye-law would stand up to scrutiny if a dog takes a lump out of some unwelcome 'visitor' in a locked up area but off a lead.

As for bins, I never really noticed a shortage tbh. I will say that one of the most disgusting things ive seen were dog poop bins on the promenade in Southend, England. The bins weren't emptied over the weekend from 5pm Friday so they overflowed and then owners just chucked bags of sh*te or emptied their scoop at the base of the bin. There was a few of them and on a warm day the stink was dreadful and no amount of complaints seemed to make a difference. Just as an aside...:o

I've seen the overflowing bins on the Navy Bank at times too, so not just Southend having that problem.

As for lack of bins, theres zero on Castle Road, St. Marys Road, or Mill Street, yet there's 2 within 30 metres of each other at Seatown and Chapel Street, so it looks to be a case of the proverbial left and right hands lack of familiarity with each other vis Local Authority provision. Normally end up taking the baggies home to own own bin. However as other people say, if they insist on a law requiring removal of dog waste, they should provide for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

By law now you'll have to keep her on the leash in Ravensdale too.

I go hunting in a lot of these places so they can stick their leashes up their well you know the rest.Iasked a question a while back does anyone know the assholes that voted for this on the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

blackpearl wrote: »
    I go hunting in a lot of these places so they can stick their leashes up their well you know the rest.Iasked a question a while back does anyone know the assholes that voted for this on the council.

If it bothers you so much you can request the details from the council. And maybe keep your anger for them, rather than those who just explained the situation here

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

If it bothers you so much you can request the details from the council. And maybe keep your anger for them, rather than those who just explained the situation here

The anger was hardly directed at anybody on here. Relax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

rogieop wrote: »
    The anger was hardly directed at anybody on here. Relax.

Not that it matters to you, but he quoted me and I felt it directed at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Maybe you could rent your fields out for peop0le to run their dogs in. It's a step too far in my opinion, and as for the number of bags to carry - 1 for when they do the business, a spare and maybe another spare in case you get lucky enough to find a bin for the first bag - bureaucracy gone mad as usual!

Pet stores now sell clip on rolls of handy bags that you or the dog can carry (clip to collar). Saves having to fish around for bags

Not that it matters to you, but he quoted me and I felt it directed at me.
    Sorry if you thought it was directed at you it was not ,it was against them assholes on the council that have nothing better to do than pass stupid laws against the people who pay their wages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Surely you're not hunting in public places?

Surely you're not hunting in public places?

the foreshore which I have a foreshore licence for and parts of ravenstale why have you a problem with that.

• Advertisement

the foreshore which I have a foreshore licence for and parts of ravenstale why have you a problem with that.

I don't if you're operating within the terms of the licence no. The council have a problem with you allowing your dog(s) off their leash now though don't they?

I could not care less about what the council say ,it would fit them better if they concreted on more important issues .

I agree. I don't think the bylaws will be adhered to until prosecutions cement peoples thoughts and attitudes on the matter.

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

It would appear some peoples' views are set in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

BlueLass wrote: »
    Read today that LSPCA are concerned there may a serial poisoner of dogs active on navvy bank!! Don't understand the logic of wanting to harm other living creatures myself but it takes all sorts to make world go round!!

My mother was walking the dog down the navy bank at the weekend and met some lad who was warning her that his dog had been poisoned down there with rat poison. She said he was nearly crying when he was telling the story. Touch and go if the dog will make it. She just turned around and went somewhere else. Definitely sounds like something happening down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

doncarlos wrote: »
    My mother was walking the dog down the navy bank at the weekend and met some lad who was warning her that his dog had been poisoned down there with rat poison. She said he was nearly crying when he was telling the story. Touch and go if the dog will make it. She just turned around and went somewhere else. Definitely sounds like something happening down there.

Incredibly heartbreaking to hear such stories and so frustrating that nothing seems to be happening to catch whoever is doing it! Surely it should be well publicised on radio, local newspapers, notices or warning signs put up advising everyone to watch for suspicious activity! Has any complaint been made to gardai, any follow ups that anyone is aware of??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

I could not care less about what the council say ,it would fit them better if they concreted on more important issues .

Dog owners are being ridden rock solid by these bye laws, to quote an old football pundit.

Seriously though it is worrying if there are so many poisoning incidents. It needs to be publicised, although thats possibly the attention a culprit may seek, to be a bit CSI about it assuming it is deliberate.

Their is talk and I say talk that someone in a estate close to the navy bank is doing it because they are fed up of all the dog s--t in their gardens, I know if I catch the scumbag that is doing it well I hope they can swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

The Dundalk Democrat front page headline on March 15th was "Navvy Bank dog poisoner warning"

In the article Fiona Squibb from the LSPCA said "dog owners should remain vigilant regarding the threats to their dogs - it's not something you'd expect taking a dog down a scenic walk.......i have heard of this before.I think it was a year ago'There was something down there somewhere......"

Further on in the article Ms.Squibb says "I know there has been an outcry down the Navvy Bank regarding dog fouling and i don't know if that is what someone might be feeling annoyance about - there are new by-laws and signs for people who don't clean up after their dogs"

More -

http://talkofthetown.ie/2016/03/14/warning-issued-to-animal-owners-after-claims-another-dog-was-poisoned-at-navvy-bank/

http://talkofthetown.ie/2015/09/30/warning-issued-over-possible-poison-left-close-to-navvy-bank/

County council caretaker prosecuted for laying the poison that killed the dog at the County hall.
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/argus/news/banned-poison-laid-by-caretaker-34620338.html

• Advertisement

'Absolutely backward' is about all I can think of that's suitable for posting here. I'm appalled that someone would stoop to such a cowardly act.

All things taken into account, I hope he receives his just reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

What's alarming here is that he's still employed by the council. I saw another post on bookface yesterday that anotherbdog had been poisoned and died whist on the lead on the Navvy Bank.

MugMugs wrote: »
    What's alarming here is that he's still employed by the council. I saw another post on bookface yesterday that anotherbdog had been poisoned and died whist on the lead on the Navvy Bank.

Seen that story being re-posted by some friends:mad:.Also,being a regular down the navvy i have noticed a huge fall off in the numbers walking their dogs there which is a huge pity but also completly very understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

County council caretaker prosecuted for laying the poison that killed the dog at the County hall.
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/argus/news/banned-poison-laid-by-caretaker-34620338.html

Interesting how loosely the whole affair was handled (in terms of prosecution) - according to Bird Watch Ireland:

“All Ireland’s wild birds are protected under the Wildlife Act 2010 - it is possible to hunt some birds such as ducks and woodcock under licence at certain times of the year.
    But birds such as the heron are protected..."

Likewise the idea that someone can go home 'on the spur of a moment' and have to hand poison that is banned seems rather dubious.

Interesting how loosely the whole affair was handled (in terms of prosecution) - according to Bird Watch Ireland:

“All Ireland’s wild birds are protected under the Wildlife Act 2010 - it is possible to hunt some birds such as ducks and woodcock under licence at certain times of the year.
    But birds such as the heron are protected..."

Likewise the idea that someone can go home 'on the spur of a moment' and have to hand poison that is banned seems rather dubious.
    Three other charges were struck out, and the court was informed there was no charge in relation to the death of the dog]

He admitted guilt from day one, and but for that there wouldn't have been sufficient evidence to convict him, Mr Ledwith contended.

Plea bargain in operation i reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Has there been any reports about the type of poison being used, and what's being used to administer it?

Does it seem to be concentrated in any particular location on the navvy bank?

It might help if people knew what to look out for, so they could report it..

Have the guards made any comment about being aware of the situation, or of any investigation taking place?

(I had a paragraph typed out about what I'd do to the poisoner if i found him, but deleted it, as this is a family forum...)

Advertisement