Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One year old favourite toys?

Options
  • 13-03-2016 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

Our little girl will be one soon(!) and we've started thinking about what to buy her for her birthday. She doesn't have many toys at the minute so we'll probably buy her a few bits. What do/did your one year olds like the most? At the moment her favourites are the Fisher Price train and Vtech Tree

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Books, stacking cups, kitchen, duplo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I can't remember the proper name, one of those activity cubes with the bead maze on top and different activities on each side. Best toy ever.

He also loves his hobby horse, teddy, car and wooden stacking rings. (15m)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Our lad is a big toy baby and loves to play on his own so take this with a pinch of salt as I'm told not all babies are like this (he's now 13 months). Favourites over the last three months:
    Fisher price laugh and learn chair (adverts)
    Vtech sit to stand dancing bear tower (adverts)
    Vtech grow and go ride on (Christmas present)
    Duplo (present only into it now)
    Vtech toot toot garage (Christmas present, spent a while only playing with the buttons and is now playing with the car)
    Books (spends ages sitting turning pages)
    Lift the flap spot jigsaw (adores this)
    Trike (heatons on sale, loves going out in it)

He has lots of other things he passes through while playing but he goes around and around the sitting room playing with those toys one after another.

By the way adverts is brilliant for cheap second hand toys. Some of the toys for kids are outrageously expensive new but great value second hand. I've only bought things on sale/second hand. Oh and we got him a second hand perfect condition Cousy coupe car for his birthday for the summer and a pop up tent because he got so many other things at his birthday we wanted something long term. He got lots of books and some sleep sacks from others for his birthday at our encouragement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ours is 20 months now, but at 1...

Any books with lifting flaps in them (she's a big book lover though and I know not all kids are)

She got a little Minnie Mouse truck that you can sit on and ride, great present because she could push at first and now she's into riding it around.
    http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/outdoor/c-648/ride-ons/p-2946/my-first-minnie-mouse-ride-on/

She LOVES these. Got them as a distraction for a holiday flight at 13 months and she still goes around with them
    http://www.elc.co.uk/Nesting-Eggs/135703,default,pd.html
    They're available in Mothercare here and were an incredibly cheap buy!!

We bought her a FisherPrice trike, as I wanted to get her something she could grow into and although she can't pedal herself yet, it's getting good use.

She loves teddies and we also got her a couple of Thomas the Tank DVDs (major fan) and a Disney songs CD. She doesn't know any Disney films but she LOVES music and there's only so much singing I can do, especially on car journeys!!

If I'm honest, she got a lot of brightly coloured plastic stuff too - Vtech and Toot Toot stuff - and she just wasn't that interested in it.It had novelty for about a week, and after that, it was ignored. I found anything wooden, and practical was of bigger interest to her and even better, she grew into these toys more over the following months. We probably could have bought her a kitchen and a couple of other role play things like that, but I held off til she was 18 months for those, because it happens to be at Christmas :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Thanks for the suggestions! You've reminded me we have that walker too, bought it in a 3 for 2 at Christmas and put it away for her

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 794 ✭✭✭TheHillOfDoom

A kind of push along/sit on car thing. You pulled the seat up and it had a storage area inside (she rarely if ever used it for its intended purpose!). She loved raiding random items and putting them in 'storage'. She was also fascinated with handbags and putting things in there too. Random child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Duplo. 1 year is a little young for building anything, but we gave her some and she loves taking it apart, playing with the car and the figures. She got great fun out of the giant lego brick box it came in (and still does). Most of it is still bagged until she's more able to use it but she's now (16months) starting to get the hang of putting the bricks together.
    Mum got her a trike which she's just grotwing into now. Was considering rideons and things.
    Anything that involves putting things into other things will be a big hit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 794 ✭✭✭TheHillOfDoom

Treadhead wrote: »
    Anything that involves putting things into other things will be a big hit.

Good to know mine wasn't the only hoarder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Our little one loves things like the leap frog picnic basket and fp cookie jar. Also stacking cups and toot toot cars and figures. We bought her a nice doll for her first birthday last month and although she likes it, she's a bit small yet. If you have the space for it, the fisher price Laugh and Learn Learning Home is AMAZING, santa brought it to us and both the 2 year old and 1 year old love it. The fp Crawl Around Car is similar, santa brought it last year for my little boy and it still gets great mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Duplo or playmobile with little people were and still are my two year olds favourites, and those two things work together

They love role playing toys, tea sets for parties with teddies. Play sweeping brushes, pots / pans, toy cars / buses.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

her lego,play doh and crayons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Moonbeam wrote: »
    ,play doh and crayons

Seriously....you would recommend play doh for a just turned 1 year old?! :eek:

I wouldn't give crayons either! Maybe I'm a wuss. Also I live in a rented house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Lucuma wrote: »
    Seriously....you would recommend play doh for a just turned 1 year old?! :eek:

I wouldn't give crayons either! Maybe I'm a wuss. Also I live in a rented house

It's good if you can sit and play with them. I wouldn't give these things and walk away to let them play alone. It's fun to do the make your own play doh and such things.

Advertisement