Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hgv driver jobs

Options
  • 13-03-2016 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi. I'm looking to qualify as a driver and in doing a hgv driving fas course and getting my c licence. But I've noticed a lot of companies in sligo are looking for experienced drivers. Min 2 years etc

This is probably going to be a small thread but Does anyone know anyone who might take a chance in hiring without the driving experience? I'd take anything really. Also willing to travel to surrounding counties - donegal, leitrim, roscommon if needs be. But where would you start and how did other drivers start. Would be great to hear other drivers experiences and advice on the matter and other qualifications that would help. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

My advice is to steer well clear of driving jobs. You get treated like a mug on shit money and all you get is dogs abuse all day long. 15 hours a day that is. I speak from personal experience first working as a rigid and then as an articulated driver, and it was the most hateful career path I ever went down.

Notwithstanding that, if you still want a job driving, you could try the likes of Tommy Mullen (Mullen Express Transport) in Collooney or Stephen Mullen (Sligo Haulage & Distribution) in Tubercurry Both have rigids on the road for multi-drop deliveries. Stephen Mullen is known for hiring people with no experience to take a chance on them. It does depend on your age though as there would be an additional insurance premium to add someone under 25 to the insurance policy

There's also Greenstar on the quays, driving an ashwagon or a skip lorry. Barna Waste do skips...............

• Registered Users Posts: 7 neveragain1985

My advice is to steer well clear of driving jobs. You get treated like a mug on shit money and all you get is dogs abuse all day long. 15 hours a day that is. I speak from personal experience first working as a rigid and then as an articulated driver, and it was the most hateful career path I ever went down.

Notwithstanding that, if you still want a job driving, you could try the likes of Tommy Mullen (Mullen Express Transport) in Collooney or Stephen Mullen (Sligo Haulage & Distribution) in Tubercurry Both have rigids on the road for multi-drop deliveries. Stephen Mullen is known for hiring people with no experience to take a chance on them. It does depend on your age though as there would be an additional insurance premium to add someone under 25 to the insurance policy

There's also Greenstar on the quays, driving an ashwagon or a skip lorry. Barna Waste do skips...............

Thanks Buford

I will take advice into consideration

I am 30 so I hope insurance may not be a problem. So you think sligo haulage would be my best bet?

Do you know of any other qualifications that may improve my chances?

Also were you with a sligo company? What were your start and finish times? Sorry for all questions but it will help a great deal. Hard to get other drivers opinions

I've worked for a lot of companies in my time, and a few from Sligo. I'm not prepared to give any specific details on an open thread. Firstly out of respect to some of the decent hauliers out there and secondly so I don't get accused of "baseless" slander of others. Send me a PM with what you want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Warren1990

Im also looking to get into HGV driving. Iv been told that agency work seems to be the best bet for new drivers. not sure how true that is but its what im hearing. Also hearing alot of negativity from experienced drivers, can it really be that bad ? I hope not as its costing a small fortune to get the license and its a career i am looking forward to starting.

Warren1990 wrote: »
    can it really be that bad ?

Yes.

It can and it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Warren1990

Im looking at jobs every day. Alot seem to be decent pay like artic drivers 14.75 per hour + allowances. Is their a catch to all this that I am missing. 14.75 an hour is not bad money atall in my books.

Warren1990 wrote: »
    Im looking at jobs every day. Alot seem to be decent pay like artic drivers 14.75 per hour + allowances. Is their a catch to all this that I am missing. 14.75 an hour is not bad money atall in my books.

If you're doing ADR for the likes of Reynolds or something then I'm sure it is

I can't name one haulier in the north west that is paying that sort of money. Can you?

Advertisement