Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs West Ham match thread 13/3/16 k/o 16.00 BT 2.

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

There's a difference between a player standing in front of a goalkeeper at a corner and not moving and a player running in front of him and blocking him on the goal line. It was a free out no question but again it's understandable that it wasn't given going by how Atkinson performed, second half especially.

I'd very much like to see the incident between Payet and Varela again. Varela seemed to fairly outmuscle Payet initially (no free given) before Payet fairly outmuscled Varela (free given).

Hoping for a better referee in the replay. One that isn't scared to give big (but ultimately correct) decisions against Man Utd.

I'd like to see a referee that has the balls to back up his decisions with the correct punishment. Payet should have been off the pitch before he scored that free. Regardless of whether you think it was a dive or not, the referee did but didn't punish it. Why? He should be asked to come out and explain his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Korat wrote: »
    Seeing the replay Schweinsteiger didn't deliberately block Randolph so it wasn't free just a collision between players.

Didn't get to see the game so didn't see what happened yet but I'm assuming Randolph didn't play the ball himself. Are u not allowed block a player off once he hasn't played the ball first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

There's a difference between a player standing in front of a goalkeeper at a corner and not moving and a player running in front of him and blocking him on the goal line. It was a free out no question but again it's understandable that it wasn't given going by how Atkinson performed, second half especially.

I'd very much like to see the incident between Payet and Varela again. Varela seemed to fairly outmuscle Payet initially (no free given) before Payet fairly outmuscled Varela (free given).

Hoping for a better referee in the replay. One that isn't scared to give big (but ultimately correct) decisions against Man Utd.

So am I as well,hoping for a better referee in the replay. One that isn't scared to give big (but ultimately correct) decisions against WHU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Reading some of the posts in here would make you think that West Ham hadn't stuffed some other teams 7-1 on aggregate this season.

For lads that wear the past as a badge of honour they sure have selective recollection by times.

Delicious altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'd like to see a referee that has the balls to back up his decisions with the correct punishment. Payet should have been off the pitch before he scored that free. Regardless of whether you think it was a dive or not, the referee did but didn't punish it. Why? He should be asked to come out and explain his actions.

If the ref is not sure why should he double punish a team, not giving the pen was enough punishment. You cant expect him to make a huge call of a red card if he is not 100% sure. People are still not sure here after replays from every angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I was with you all the way to the last paragraph. He was ****e for both teams. there were ironic cheers multiple times around OT when he gave decisions our way as he got loads wrong for us as well.

niallo27 wrote: »
    If the ref is not sure why should he double punish a team, not giving the pen was enough punishment. You cant expect him to make a huge call of a red card if he is not 100% sure. People are still not sure here after replays from every angle.

The way Payet went down it was a foul or dive, it wasn't a stumble. If the referee sees it as a foul he has to give the penalty, if he sees it as a dive he has to card him.
    He made the call, he should back it up, it was a bottle job. If he wasn't on a yellow he would have got one.

The way Payet went down it was a foul or dive, it wasn't a stumble. If the referee sees it as a foul he has to give the penalty, if he sees it as a dive he has to card him.

I dont agree, i dont think he can send a player off unless it was 100 percent it was a dive. These decisions happen nearly every week to every team.

Reading some of the posts in here would make you think that West Ham hadn't stuffed some other teams 7-1 on aggregate this season.

For lads that wear the past as a badge of honour they sure have selective recollection by times.

Delicious altogether.

Whatever makes you feel better i suppose. There hasnt been much for utd fans to get upset about in fairness in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Personally I loved how Basti showed his experience and guile by cleverly obstructing the keeper and making sure Martial had every chance of scoring.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Yep

How do you make that out?

West Ham are a decent outfit this season, and probably look the most likely to take top 4 of all the challengers. Drawing with them isn't a bad result by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Very disappointed in the Payet performance today. I've been impressed with him this season but he went down way too easily today. I just wish refs would give more cards for diving. Otherwise we'll never see the end of it.

Happy for Martial. If (when) United finally get a world class team around him he's going to be immense.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    West Ham are a decent outfit this season, and probably look the most likely to take top 4 of all the challengers. Drawing with them isn't a bad result by any means.

Thats not what I asked though. It isn't a decent result for either team as they have to play an extra game each now?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Personally I loved how Basti showed his experience and guile by cleverly obstructing the keeper and making sure Martial had every chance of scoring.

So cheating then. Fair enough if you are into that kind of thing. At least you admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Ludo wrote: »
    So cheating then. Fair enough if you are into that kind of thing. At least you admit it.

I'm into it massively. He earnt his money today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I dunno if you are being a bit sarcastic but it wasn't cleverly done at all. The West Ham fella bumped in to Schweinsteiger who then stumbled in to the keeper. Purely accidental and thank **** for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yeah, almost like diving in the box trying to win a penalty. No problem with that though do you?

Can't get enough of it, sometimes I even cheat myself I love it so much!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I dunno if you are being a bit sarcastic but it wasn't cleverly done at all. The West Ham fella bumped in to Schweinsteiger who then stumbled in to the keeper. Purely accidental and thank **** for it!

I've had a chat with that lads, and we all agree to have a whip around for you to get a new sarcasm detector ;)

• Advertisement

Can't get enough of it, sometimes I even cheat myself I love it so much!

That kinda sounds like a rephrased Fr.Ted quote. Made me :D either way

MOTD guys all say a dive...

MOTD guys all say a dive...

Which?

The Payet dive?

Oh yeah that was definitely a dive, and by the book should have been a yellow.

Which?

The Payet dive?

100% penalty according to a few here.

Few "Usual Suspects" I would bet, not to be taken seriously. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On first viewing I was sure it was a pen, and I'm a bit surprised they didn't give it to be honest - as far as dives go it was masterful!

Replays and different angles tell the truth, but in real time it must have been a very tough call not to give it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Indeed. On first viewing it looks a penalty every day of the week. And then you see it again. The old Pires leg.

To be honest I'm not sure the ref was sure. I think he guessed. The right decision in the end obviously but he was guessing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Which?

The Payet dive?

I think the posts on here prove that it was not "definitely a dive". Howard Webb, a world cup final referee and one who had a proclivity to favour Man Utd during his career, said that it was a penalty on seeing the replays.

I think the posts on here prove that it was not "definitely a dive". Howard Webb, a world cup final referee and one who had a proclivity to favour Man Utd during his career, said that it was a penalty on seeing the replays.

On one hand you are using his World Cup final badge (where he performed terribly btw) to elevate his standing in the game but then go on to say he favoured teams which would make him a truly awful referee, which is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You're right, I seen a picture of him in a United jersey once.

United getting decisions from him probably had absolutely nothing to do with them being the best team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

These type of posts are one of reasons Im really glad I don't post in Match threads that often.

• Advertisement
Advertisement