Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risco ProSys question

• 13-03-2016 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Moved into our new house yesterday and the houses in the estate seem to be fitted with the ProSys alarm system.

First of all, as someone used to the straight-forward HKC panel, the touchscreen on Risco isn't the best. It's not very responsive and none of us like it. Anyway, that is something we'll get used to BUT the problem is that only the front and patio door have door opening sensors (hardwired). Problem is, if one wants to set the alarm to night mode, you can't do that without creating panic. If the kids want to get up early and come don to watch TV, they need to run to power the alarm off (and have only 20 sec to do so) before the PIR tells the alarm to start the show!

I had an installer in yesterday looking at CCTV and I asked about adding contacts to windows. He was saying wireless ones are 50 Euro each and he could use one wireless+one wired in the same window.
    The house is very well wired for network. Each room has an Ethernet connection.
    Question is, what do we do? Planning to ring the installer who fitted the alarm but I would like to know what to ask re sensors for windows. We brought our HKC dialer from old house but seemingly it wont work on Risco...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Here's an update:
    Spoke to the company that fitted the Risco ProSys asking to quote me for downstairs windows sensors and the quote is: 650 Euro (wireless sensors). Only front door, kitchen/patio door and utility room door are hardwired.
    At this stage, I think this is excessive and am considering speaking to someone about ripping the Risco system and installing a HKC or Siemens alarm.
    Questions:
    What components from the current configuration (Risco) could be used in a HKC set-up?
    Would wireless sensors HKC provided be as costly as the Risko ones?
    Would the alarm installer provide us with the engineer code so we can get someone to supply and fit the sensors for Risco at a more reasonable price.
    Also, we have a CCTV/NVR set in the house. The model is here. Would it be possible to somehow pair teh CCTV with the home alarm?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is this a fully wireless system? If so none of the devices would be compatible with another make.
    Can you say who installed the system?
    There are some Risco systems out there that are locked down so even extra equipment can not be added by other installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

KoolKid wrote: »
    Is this a fully wireless system? If so none of the devices would be compatible with another make.
    Can you say who installed the system?
    There are some Risco systems out there that are locked down so even extra equipment can not be added by other installers.

So, the doors are hardwired. I am assuming that the PIR's are also hardwired (not sure if they can be wireless).
    Will tell you who the installer is in a PM.
    Spoke to a good friend who was an excellent alarm installer for some 10 years but, he's stopped installing alarms in the past 5 years so he couldn't shed much light other than that HKC is the best and most reliable make out there and if I feel Risco is not up to what we need, to get someone to changeover to HKC.
    My question is: if we were to go with HKC panel, would their own wireless sensors be as expensive as the Risco ones?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

When it comes to wireless HKC are the dearest device for device.
    Your best bet would be to get someone out to survey what's there and give you some free advice and pricing. As long as the system is not locked down as I described changing the keypad and adding devices should be no problem.
    Risco as a brand is a good reliable system. They are a very large company who are well established when it comes to wireless.
    I replied to your PM re the installation company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭judge30

Completely agree with everything koolkid has said ,while hkc is the big and most common brand in Ireland they are abit pricey ,don't get me wrong they are a good system but plenty of other systems give you the same for less ,I've found the gsd systems to stack up well as a good wireless option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement