Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom built photo editing PC

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Poncke wrote: »
    Haven't placed the order yet. Is it better to have all the software and the OS and the scratch disk function on one and the same 256gb SSD rather than 2 separate 128gb ones? Cheers

I'd say so yeah.

Plus then you have more space to add extra SSDs in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

OK, I have removed both 128GB SSDs and replaced with
    256GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 32Gb/ V-NAND MLC Toggle

Final configuration ordered :

Intel Core i7 6700K 4x 4.00GHz So.1151 WOF
    MSI Z170-A PRO Intel Z170 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail
    1000GB WD Red WD10EFRX 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s
    256GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 32Gb/ V-NAND MLC Toggle
    16GB G.Skill RipJaws V rot DDR4-3000 DIMM CL15 Dual Kit
    2048MB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti OC Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16
    520 Watt Seasonic S12II Bronze Non-Modular 80+ Bronze
    Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo Tower Kühler
    Fractal Design Define S ATX Computer Case

Thanks all for your help. Cant wait to built this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'd say so yeah.

Plus then you have more space to add extra SSDs in the future.

Im assuming you know absolutely nothing about photo editing as you are absolutely incorrect. you should not use the OS disk as a scratch disk, especially when using SSD'ds.

You shoudl always, where possible, have the Scratch disk on a deperate physical disk, the faster the disk the better as Photoshop does a lot of read/writes to it.

Well that's mighty fine then. Lmao! Just changed the config and ordered it.

• Advertisement

Actually the 256gb is 6 times faster on write speed than the 128gb I chose previously. 900mb/s vs 150mb/s. So using that set up with only the one SSD should be faster. If not i can always plug in another SSD later.

Note that photoshop etc won't just know to use the dedicated scratch disk so make sure to point it in the preferences.

Note that photoshop etc won't just know to use the dedicated scratch disk so make sure to point it in the preferences.

Yup, thanks for the reminder.

By the way, I forgot to include the Wifi, so I bought his one off Amazon, free shipping, same price as Mindfactory

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter A/B/G/N 2.4/5Ghz

what wifi router have you currently Got?

what you bought is probably fine as chances are you don't have a wireless AC router at present but it begs the question how are you attaching your external storage? Via USB or gigabit Ethernet I would hope and not connecting via wifi.

Also, edited to add, a desktop PC really should have a wired Ethernet connection regardless, If you aren't physically near your router use homeplugs.

really, Wifi should be left to devices that are mobile.

• Advertisement

Cisco EPC3925

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

Hey OP, how did your build go??

I am thinking of something similar - with a slightly smaller budget, so this thread has been great for info.

I'm wondering now where would be suitable to shave a few euros off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

eoglyn wrote: »

I am thinking of something similar - with a slightly smaller budget, so this thread has been great for info.

Sata SSD, Xeon instead of i7, cheaper motherboard, Non-overclocking CPU would be starts

Thanks for asking. The build didnt go that well. I got everything connected but the red CPU light on the Mobo came on. There was no beep, no POST, but all fans and drives started spinning. I asked for help on Toms Hardware forum and someone there thought, after going through some testing, that the Mobo was DOA. I didnt trust that advice so I took the PC to a shop and they tested the rig and were pretty sure the CPU was DOA. I sent it back to MF and a new CPU has been shipped.

So far, it has been a bit disappointing and also wasted 50 euro on the PC check. But here's hoping that next week I will have a working rig.

The shop did compliment me on the rig though, they said it was a good PC. The experience with MF has been positive as well

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

Poncke wrote: »
    Thanks for asking. The build didnt go that well. I got everything connected but the red CPU light on the Mobo came on. There was no beep, no POST, but all fans and drives started spinning. I asked for help on Toms Hardware forum and someone there thought, after going through some testing, that the Mobo was DOA. I didnt trust that advice so I took the PC to a shop and they tested the rig and were pretty sure the CPU was DOA. I sent it back to MF and a new CPU has been shipped.

So far, it has been a bit disappointing and also wasted 50 euro on the PC check. But here's hoping that next week I will have a working rig.

The shop did compliment me on the rig though, they said it was a good PC. The experience with MF has been positive as well

Thanks for the info - and sorry to hear that it is not working out yet. I was going to pick up a few key parts in america - some good savings, think they'd be at the cost of a warranty - your experience has caused me to rethink that plan.

Thanks, hopefully you are up and running soon.

Thanks for the info - and sorry to hear that it is not working out yet. I was going to pick up a few key parts in america - some good savings, think they'd be at the cost of a warranty - your experience has caused me to rethink that plan.

Thanks, hopefully you are up and running soon.

Got it up and running. MB was doa. Its fast like lightning. W10 start up is seconds. Opening office is instant. Processing photos is a breeze. Connected to a synology DS216+. Finally my dream set up is complete

All purchased from mindfactory.de, very happy with them. RM process very straightforward and good customer service

Advertisement