Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rules Question

• 14-03-2016 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Quick rules query out of curiousity more than anything.

Playing a stroke play yesterday and a couple of times my playing partner missed a putt, finished out hole but then retook the 1st putt for practise like to see if it was wrong lie/pace etc she hit first time.

I could have swore someone once told me that when your playing stroke every shot you hit counts and play as outlined above wasn't allowed like you might do in stableford.

Meant to ask one of the women after yesterday but forgot so maybe one of you boardsies could fill me in!

Am I talking s***e??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Quick rules query out of curiousity more than anything.

Playing a stroke play yesterday and a couple of times my playing partner missed a putt, finished out hole but then retook the 1st putt for practise like to see if it was wrong lie/pace etc she hit first time.

I could have swore someone once told me that when your playing stroke every shot you hit counts and play as outlined above wasn't allowed like you might do in stableford.

Meant to ask one of the women after yesterday but forgot so maybe one of you boardsies could fill me in!

Am I talking s***e??

You can practice on the green of the last hole played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

You can practice on the green of the last hole played.

Quick and simple answer, thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Quick and simple answer, thank you!

Not so quick and simple.
    You may practice on the green you have just played, providing everyone in your playing group has finished the hole and you're not delaying play and the group behind isn't waiting to play.
    Also some clubs have a local rule prohibiting practice around a green you have just completed, so check before you play.
    FYI you can also practice chipping as long as the criteria above is met, also this rule applies to the tee box of the next hole been played. Hope that clears it up;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Am I talking s***e??

Yes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Remember also if you are playing an 18 hole competition at a 9 hole course you are not allowed to retake a putt in the first 9 holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Remember also if you are playing an 18 hole competition at a 9 hole course you are not allowed to retake a putt in the first 9 holes.

Under what rule??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

etxp wrote: »
    Under what rule??

You can't practise on a green you haven't played or that isn't the last hole played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Yes but on a nine hole course, you can still practice putting on the hole you just finished even though you will be playing that green again. But you will not be playing that hole again.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

No so....

7-2/9 Competitor Practises Putting on 3rd Green of 9-Hole Course During 18-Hole Stroke Play Competition
    Q.
    An 18-hole stroke play competition is played on a 9-hole course. A competitor, having holed out at the 3rd hole, plays a practice putt on the 3rd green. Since the stipulated round requires that the competitor play the 3rd hole as the 12th hole later in the round, is the competitor penalised for practising?

A.
    No. Rule 7-2 permits a player between the play of two holes to practise putting or chipping on or near the putting green of the hole last played.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Poker Face wrote: »
    No so....

7-2/9 Competitor Practises Putting on 3rd Green of 9-Hole Course During 18-Hole Stroke Play Competition
    Q.
    An 18-hole stroke play competition is played on a 9-hole course. A competitor, having holed out at the 3rd hole, plays a practice putt on the 3rd green. Since the stipulated round requires that the competitor play the 3rd hole as the 12th hole later in the round, is the competitor penalised for practising?

A.
    No. Rule 7-2 permits a player between the play of two holes to practise putting or chipping on or near the putting green of the hole last played.

Makes sense, think of double greens...9/18 in Castleknock for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

slave1 wrote: »
    Makes sense, think of double greens...9/18 in Castleknock for example

And the 7 double greens at the old course.......... I should know..... Played there last week :D

Advertisement