Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make up and hair advice

Options
  • 14-03-2016 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

I have an event coming up very soon and have tried and failed to get booked in with someone to do my makeup even though I live in Maynooth and thought it'd be easy! However I need to travel an hour to the venue and need to be there before 11am and as a result I have decided it might just be easier to do hair and makeup myself! Thing is, I'm a bit clueless and need it to last all day so have you ladies any tips or advice on doing make up that looks good and will last, and secondly for some nice hair ideas for long hair that's relatively easy and won't take too much time?!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Would you normally wear make up? If so, what problems would you have making it last all day?

For me, I have to wear waterproof eyeliner (especially on my waterline) or else the liner ends up moving down toward my cheekbones! I'd always bring it with me to retouch if necessary too.

I like to use a primer and a fine powder before applying foundation. I read a blog before (Mouldy Fruit) about 'sandwiching' your foundation between two light layers of powder to make it last all day and it really works for me. I'd just bring the powder with me for any touch ups.

I'm wearing anything on my lips I'd line my lips fully with a pencil before applying lipstick. It makes the lipstick last longer on your lips and when it does start to fade, it does so more evenly and you're not left with just a line around your mouth.

You could also try a setting spray after you've done your makeup. I have one from Urban Decay that I find good but have only really used it a few times a year for 'big' events. I've heard good things about the NYX sprays too which you can get from Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Thanks V, will reply properly later!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

I have an event coming up very soon and have tried and failed to get booked in with someone to do my makeup even though I live in Maynooth and thought it'd be easy! However I need to travel an hour to the venue and need to be there before 11am and as a result I have decided it might just be easier to do hair and makeup myself! Thing is, I'm a bit clueless and need it to last all day so have you ladies any tips or advice on doing make up that looks good and will last, and secondly for some nice hair ideas for long hair that's relatively easy and won't take too much time?!

Thanks in advance!

Presumably you have found somewhere to get your hair done. Do you have any large shops that sell makeup in Maynooth (sorry to ask but I live in Wales) if you do I'd pop in and ask the Manager if you could hire one of their makeup ladies to do you whilst you are in the hairdressers, just a thought, good for you and for the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

This is my go to site for hair tutorials:

http://www.freckled-fox.com/p/hair-beauty_4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

ams wrote: »

Ooooo,thanks for that! New hair everyday for this month!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

What about getting a makeover at a counter and using that as a tutorial? I've done this before and found it worked really well!

Valentina wrote: »
    Would you normally wear make up? If so, what problems would you have making it last all day?

For me, I have to wear waterproof eyeliner (especially on my waterline) or else the liner ends up moving down toward my cheekbones! I'd always bring it with me to retouch if necessary too.

I like to use a primer and a fine powder before applying foundation. I read a blog before (Mouldy Fruit) about 'sandwiching' your foundation between two light layers of powder to make it last all day and it really works for me. I'd just bring the powder with me for any touch ups.

I'm wearing anything on my lips I'd line my lips fully with a pencil before applying lipstick. It makes the lipstick last longer on your lips and when it does start to fade, it does so more evenly and you're not left with just a line around your mouth.

You could also try a setting spray after you've done your makeup. I have one from Urban Decay that I find good but have only really used it a few times a year for 'big' events. I've heard good things about the NYX sprays too which you can get from Boots.

Hi Valentina,

Yeah I normally wear make up but not a lot I suppose. I use Lancome pencil eyeliner and find that it wears off before lunch time usually, even with some powder beforehand to try and 'set' it. I have also used Elizabeth Arden eyeliner and find the same problem.

Thank you for your other advice.

What about getting a makeover at a counter and using that as a tutorial? I've done this before and found it worked really well!

That's interesting actually, but for some reason I'd die of embarrassment getting the makeover and it's something I'd shy away from... I don't have any 'occasion' or night out really before that so it's realistically not something I'm likely to opt for, but thanks for the suggestion! Perhaps I could watch a few YouTube tutorials and practice in the meantime?! I've some free time coming up at the weekend! :)

LinF wrote: »
    Presumably you have found somewhere to get your hair done. Do you have any large shops that sell makeup in Maynooth (sorry to ask but I live in Wales) if you do I'd pop in and ask the Manager if you could hire one of their makeup ladies to do you whilst you are in the hairdressers, just a thought, good for you and for the store.

No I didn't find a hairdresser either, as I wanted to try and sort make up first and foremost. I'd probably manage with hair if needs me, and I'm going to check out the website above and try out a few different things. The problem I'm facing really is timing, as many of these don't open until 9am and I really need to be on the road for 9.45am :/ so it's not really going to work for me on this occasion it appears

Hi Valentina,

Yeah I normally wear make up but not a lot I suppose. I use Lancome pencil eyeliner and find that it wears off before lunch time usually, even with some powder beforehand to try and 'set' it. I have also used Elizabeth Arden eyeliner and find the same problem.

Thank you for your other advice.

Would you try a waterproof pencil or a gel liner instead? Oh and maybe try gently 'drying' your waterline with a tissue or a cotton bud beforehand :)

If you don't want to get a makeover, Inglot* will give you a complimentary makeup lesson on a particular thing when you buy a product. You could then practice this at home for your event.

*Other brands may do this too, Inglot just popped into my head first!

• Advertisement

Valentina wrote: »
    Would you try a waterproof pencil or a gel liner instead? Oh and maybe try gently 'drying' your waterline with a tissue or a cotton bud beforehand :)

If you don't want to get a makeover, Inglot* will give you a complimentary makeup lesson on a particular thing when you buy a product. You could then practice this at home for your event.

*Other brands may do this too, Inglot just popped into my head first!

I actually thought the Both of those eye liners WERE waterproof! Perhaps not! I'm going to try practice a few bits over weekend.thanks for the suggestions. Doesn't help that my friend has a very bright bathroom and proper make up mirror so I noticed lots of fine blonde hairs on my face, particularly around my eye brows! I usually tidy my own brows but don't normall notice these! I'll have to try and ignore these things!

Do you have any suggestions for a good primer? Smash box?

I actually thought the Both of those eye liners WERE waterproof! Perhaps not! I'm going to try practice a few bits over weekend.thanks for the suggestions. Doesn't help that my friend has a very bright bathroom and proper make up mirror so I noticed lots of fine blonde hairs on my face, particularly around my eye brows! I usually tidy my own brows but don't normall notice these! I'll have to try and ignore these things!

Do you have any suggestions for a good primer? Smash box?

I love Smashbox Photo Finish Primer for my skin and a MAC Paint Pot for eyelids. I usually use Bare Study as a correcting base then apply other Paint Pots or eye shadows for whatever look I'm going for.

Inglot also do Paint Pot type gel eyeliner but you can use it as an eyeshadow base. They cost a bit less than MAC and ime are as good. I use the bright red one under my Naked 3 palette and it really makes the pinky tones pop.

Valentina you have been very helpful, thank you. Will invest in the photo finish primer. I've recently started using Loreal Infallible, is this good enough for a day long thing do you think? i suppose it might work with a primer & some powder (any recommendations for a good powder?!) Sorry I must be coming across like a complete eejit but I've never fussed too much about my make up and maybe it's time to show a bit of time/attention/care for special occasions at least :)

No problem :)

I've never used Loreal Infallible so unsure as to its longevity, but if you use primer beforehand and a powder after it should be okay. If you can, bring your powder with you so you touch it up if needs be.

I have this NARS powder and I love it, but it's dear enough. It's triple milled so it is very fine and silky when applied and unless I apply loads and loads, it's barely visible.

Whatever powder you decide on, get the finest, softest one you can and apply with a big fluffy brush and a light hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

What type of skin do you have? I've used Smashboz photo finish before and it was ok, but not great for me. I have normal/dry skin and I love the Laura Mercier hydrating primer. It works a lot better for me.
    However, I've found that my makeup lasts all day even without it now as I've taken the time to get products that benefit me and my skin type.

I cleanse, tone and moisturise before applying makeup. Then I use a beauty blender or Real Techniques brush to apply foundation. At the moment it's Nars Sheer Glow, Kat Von D lock it tattoo or Chanel Mat Lumiere.
    After that I apply concealer (Maybelline Instant age rewind) and then contour and highlight with Real Technique brushes and Anastasia contour kit.
    If I'm using eyeshadow I'd apply it now with MAC brushes. I usually use MAC or Urban Decay eyeshadows.
    Then I use a kabuki brush to dust setting powder (Makeup Forever HD finishing powder) over my face and neck. I think this is the key product in setting my makeup and having it last all day. I love this powder.
    Then I apply my blush and highlighter (Nars/Benefit/The Balm blush and The Balm, Mary Lou-manizer).
    Then I use mascara (Maybelline Rocket volume) and MAC kohl pencil if I'm wearing it that day.
    Finally I'd use lip liner and lipstick if I wanted although I rarely wear any.

This will last me 12-14hours. I'd bring the Makeup Forever powder with me to reset as needed and I'd probably pop the eyeliner and lipliner/lipstick in my bag if I was wearing it.

The reason I list everything I use is because this is what's best for my skin. Someone might have better suggestions for a different skin type.
    Definitely watch some Youtube videos and practice when you get the chance.

I only use my finger to put foundation on so I did a search online and discovered real techniques so I bought the core set online last night! So I'm delighted you've mentioned them!

It sounds like a lot of effort but I guess it's worth it if it's lasts right?! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

ams wrote: »

Thanks for sharing - it is a gem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

Would you go to celbridge to get your make up done? There's a make up girl in Hulu beside the shopping centre in Celbridge she came in early for me before, it might be worth a try!

ananas wrote: »
    Would you go to celbridge to get your make up done? There's a make up girl in Hulu beside the shopping centre in Celbridge she came in early for me before, it might be worth a try!

I could go to Celbridge yeah.
    I contacted a salon in Maynooth and one in Kilcock via Facebook. The first one said she'd get back to me, the second looked at the message but didn't reply!

Advertisement