Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team sports to play just for fun & fitness in Cork

Options
  • 14-03-2016 12:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Hey ppl,

My girlfriend runs with a group Tuesdays & Thursdays but really only wants to do it once a week. She wants to do something else another day or two of the week and the idea of a team sport appeals to her much more than the likes of a typical gym class.

She likes the idea of basketball or hockey but the problem with those sports is that anywhere she's looked at, they all seem to be played at competitive level and require a *commitment* which she cannot guarantee and wouldn't want. The last thing she wants is to be tied into something competitive and pressurised with guilt trips for missed training sessions.

Essentially she would like something along the lines of teamer organised 5 a side where the sport is played purely just for fun on the night without any serious commitment necessary. Come if your available, if not, no big deal type thing.

So my question is does anyone know of any team sports in Cork city or out towards Midleton area that would fit this bill.
    Oh, she really doesn't want to risk injury so tag rugby is not an option as it is carnage. Not pushed about soccer either. Anything else considered, basketball, hockey,

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

It is actually very hard to find something like this..

Id be the same well bar the running and found it very difficult to find something to do that is not competitive....

I did make contact with the Cork Rounders team around Nov last year, but they had just finished up for the season..Their page looks very competitive as such but she said they did not take things too seriously....That they go out running one evening or something and then do games on other evenings... If im still here in a few months id defo be looking into it...

The rowing clubs are defo competitive no matter what they say, could try Methal Mara (they can be very clicky) went down twice to try to talk to someone and they were like who are you..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Yeah I did rowing for a while with the club in my home town. I could only go on saturdays. They were in it for the glory of national victory! Nothing wrong with that but it just wasn't for me!

Very challenging to find something that can be just played for the craic.

The rounders looks like good craic and very easy going for a GAA sport where usual fare is a coach giving you guilt trips for going not making GAA your religion! A lad I was in college with had his coach raging down the phone at him due to not being able to train because he had to study in the run-up to final year exams. **** that sh!te, man!

I will tell her to have a look at it. It might be something she'd like.

Is there anything out there in the line of basketball? She's good at it and did it in college.

It is such a shame, I was all excited going to blackrock rowing after them saying I could do it just for fitness and nope id have to do comps... Its the nastiness that goes with being competitive that I don't like...Shame shame on people, one gang I was with tis like hold on now whos sleeping with who here circle of nastiness

I haven't heard of basketball now, unless she wanted to see if she could start something but then trying to find a court is hard enough.

Could see if Garryduff had anything or Aston with the hockey.... I know the night classes they do in Aston and Douglas school but they only run for a few weeks...

She looked at the hockey but it seems to have a competitive basis.

Is the rounders the one in model farm road direction?

it was this gang i was onto http://www.gaarounders.ie/

jes if i thought wed be around id nearly try and set soemthing up we'll see.. Does she use boards, I have heard of many people asking for things like this so maybe if she was on here she could set soemthing up.

I tried to set a badminton thing up before but could not find a place willing to rent the courrt with nets.. And in an area all wanted. But for bastketball it would be easier as you could play outdoors,,,There are outside courts in rochestown Monastry not top quality but still, or Douglas School might be worth a shot.. There is a hall also by the gus healy pool but id say she would want to do some sweet talking to get in with the group that run it...

• Advertisement

Oh I'd say anything around douglas now you'd want to be well in with all the main movers and shakers.

I said it to her about the rounders and she will get onto them. She plays it with the kids in her school so she knows the craic.

Thanks for all the info. If she says she wants to set something up I will tell her to get on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

http://www.naomhogachorcai.com/ row non competitively.
    Check out a Saturday public row. Very social and good exercise.
    There's a more competitive side, too, for those interested.

Advertisement