Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lens much cheaper on Amazon - am I missing something? Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM

• 14-03-2016 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Morning Guys,

So after a bit of research I've decided that I *need* a Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM lens. It appears to be a very good compromise between performance, weight and price for an amateur/novice photographer. I'll be using it on a Canon 60D body.

Decision made I started to look at where I might make my purchase and came up with the following from Irish sellers:

https://www.camera.ie/products/canon-ef-70-200mm-f-4-l-is-series-usm - €1,399

http://berminghamcameras.ie/canon-ef-70-200mm-f4l-is-usm.html - €1,249

http://www.connscameras.ie/p/canon-ef-70-200mm-f4l-is-usm/4960999354989 - €1,299

I then went on to Amazon and they have it advertised as "Sold by L&J Photo and Fulfilled by Amazon" for £790 or approximately €1,030 at today's exchange rate. They wont ship to Ireland but I can get it via parcel motel.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't save the €200+ and order via Amazon? Normally I'd rather by locally but this seems like a very big difference in price. I just want to be sure I'm getting the same product and not some form of refurb or something.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that including customs and duties, etc., on the cheaper price?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

Hi magicbastarder,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Sorry, I never included a link to the Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000I2J2SG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2KVM7W7AOG8B1

As you can see it's a .co.uk order so it's dispatched from the EU I assume - so no customs etc I don't believe?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Amazon are excellent to deal with and have great customer service in my experience.

There will be no duty or customs if supplied and sold by Amazon. The only difference may be when you go to check out with and Irish delivery address, the vat rate will change to reflect the Irish rate, which is slightly higher than the UK.

Thanks adok. I've always been a fan of Amazon. I was just concerned the price was too good compared to the local stores! I'm glad to hear you are not concerned. I think I'll go ahead and order - love a shiny new toy!

Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the difference in price is probably a result of several factors; one minor one being the VAT difference. the second one may be that the amazon seller may have lower overheads than the other stores you've tried (all of whom operate retail stores in the city centre); L&J - without me investigating any further - may be a business operating in an industrial estate on the outskirts of a city (potentially in a cheaper country), with subsequently much lower rents & rates, and saving on other measures like having public liability on running a retail store (and having to employ expensive good looking and presentable employees). lastly, if they're putting more business canon's way, they're probably also benefitting from volume discounts with the irish operators don't enjoy.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm sure you are right magicbastarder. I had thought (evidently wrongly) that Canon prices were very similar across all retailers - almost like Apple.

Anyway, it sounds like I'm getting the same product from both locations. I was concerned that it could be some sort of refurb due to the price difference.

Normally I'd be a fan of buying from a local camera shop (I love Gunns for example) but I can't justify the extra €250!

Thanks for your feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Also available at £745 and you get a 3 year warranty from a very reputable company rather than the normal one year warranty.

Some people talk about grey imports vs Uk stock etc etc., but at the end of the day it came from the same factory and has an additional 2 years warranty.

http://panamoz.com/index.php/lens/canon/canon-ef-70-200mm-f-4l-is-usm.html

Another good company if you are looking for camera stuff again is HDEW cameras.

However, this time that Amazon price is very good.

Yeah, I'm sure you are right magicbastarder. I had thought (evidently wrongly) that Canon prices were very similar across all retailers - almost like Apple.
    nope, they offer discounts based on bulk, and it pushes the smaller guys out of the running.

Advertisement