Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chickenpox Vaccine

• 14-03-2016 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got the chicken pox vaccine privately? If so how much did it cost and where did you slot it into the schedule? After a brief panic at the weekend I really don't want him out of the childminders for a week with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Yes got it for mine. Gp did it after 13 month vaccines. It cost maybe 60 per shot and there's two shots, plus it isn't covered on gp visit card. Ours have been through multiple outbreaks. Worth every cent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

€150 for ours, done at 12 and 13 months. Both of mine have had the vaccine, money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I'm planning on getting it for my little girl too. The cost is around the same as the other posters have mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Got it there over the last couple of months at 14 and 15 months. 80e each for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

GP did it after the main schedule was done. So at 14 months, and the booster at 15 months.
    Around 70euro per jab.

Both girls have been through numerous outbreaks at creche and school unscathed. Delighted we got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

75 per jab (2 required) plus cost of administering it by your doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

we just got the vaccine for our two

available freely at most creches in Ireland :)

cost us a few sleepless nights mind you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

How safe is this Vaccine ?

lawred2 wrote:
    available freely at most creches in Ireland

lawred2 wrote:
    we just got the vaccine for our two

lawred2 wrote:

Getting the vaccine and getting the actual chicken pox are not the same thing. Chicken pox can range from a mild dose to a very severe dose. I didn't want to risk my baby getting even a mild dose so I chose the route of the vaccine.

sunny2004 wrote:

I read up on it from the HSE and NHS websites and also discussed it with my GP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

bovril wrote: »
    Getting the vaccine and getting the actual chicken pox are not the same thing. Chicken pox can range from a mild dose to a very severe dose. I didn't want to risk my baby getting even a mild dose so I chose the route of the vaccine.

I was being facetious..

lawred2 wrote:
    I was being facetious..

Sorry. Hard to tell from a post.

sunny2004 wrote: »

The vaccine is on the schedule in a lot of european countries. Ireland is too cheap-ass to deploy it.

lawred2 wrote: »

available freely at most creches in Ireland :)

Yes, i'd say so. And a few days of holidays sucked up too no doubt.

I don't like to see my kids suffer from a preventable disease, or risk injuring pregnancies in the first trimester, and think it's a disgrace it isn't on the public schedule. (Insert meaningless smiley face)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

pwurple wrote: »
    Yes, i'd say so. And a few days of holidays sucked up too no doubt.

I don't like to see my kids suffer from a preventable disease, or risk injuring pregnancies in the first trimester, and think it's a disgrace it isn't on the public schedule. (Insert meaningless smiley face)
    Also, getting the vaccine will prevent the child getting shingles in later life.
    And it's very dangerous for babies to get chicken pox when newly born, so if their mums are vaccinated, the baby will be immune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Also, getting the vaccine will prevent the child getting shingles in later life.
    And it's very dangerous for babies to get chicken pox when newly born, so if their mums are vaccinated, the baby will be immune.

I don't think the vaccine will prevent shingles. In fact I think it's only effective for 10 or 20 years so if they don't get a booster when older they could end up getting chicken pox as an adult which is even more dangerous. Don't have time to link to research now.

I don't think the vaccine will prevent shingles. In fact I think it's only effective for 10 or 20 years so if they don't get a booster when older they could end up getting chicken pox as an adult which is even more dangerous. Don't have time to link to research now.
    Ah. I thought you could only get shingles if you had had chickenpox earlier. So if you were vaccinated against it, you couldn't get shingles. I stand corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Getting a booster is part of it. I'll get my those jabs before secondary school. Still better than watching them suffer with chicken pox. And the vaccine means they're protected against shingles too. There's also a shingles vaccine.

I don't think this is actually true (about how long it lasts) - I think they don't actually know yet how long immunity lasts because the vaccine hasn't been around that long yet.

I've ordered the vaccine for my daughter and she will be having it administered this coming Friday. I'll ask about boosters, etc when I'm at the GPs and report back what they say.

• Advertisement

I've ordered the vaccine for my daughter and she will be having it administered this coming Friday. I'll ask about boosters, etc when I'm at the GPs and report back what they say.

2 doses are needed at least 3 months apart.

As things turned out my daughter didn't get the vaccine last Friday and that was all because of me.
    I'm 30 weeks pregnant and have Rheumatoid Arthritis too and the treatment I'm on for it along with the RA leaves me quite immuno suppressed. Throw in pregnancy too and it makes me even more so.

By giving my daughter the vaccine it would have left me greatly at risk of contracting shingles and due to the pregnancy couldn't take any medication for treating shingles. Given how dreadfully sick I was with the chicken pox itself as a child and in no way compromised with regard to my immune system then I decided to leave the vaccine for her until I've delivered the baby and could take the drugs for shingles in the event that I did get it.

The nurse did tell me that the vaccine for chicken pox would be given in two doses two months apart when I choose to have it administered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

3 kids have had chicken pox, no issues what so ever only lasted a few days very minor. While they have had all their other vaccines I wouldn't be to bothered with the chickenpox one.

ted1 wrote: »
    3 kids have had chicken pox, no issues what so ever only lasted a few days very minor. While they have had all their other vaccines I wouldn't be to bothered with the chickenpox one.

You were lucky so. You're entitled to your opinion but you should look at some of the not so minor doses of chickenpox before making a decision on the vaccine. Chickenpox can have some very serious effects. It's not something I was willing to take a risk on personally.

I brought my one month old for her first GP check up yesterday, and he said he personally doesn't advise the vaccine for small children. However, if you get to 10 - 15 years old and have not had the chicken pox, he highly recommends the vaccine at that stage.

Interesting @IvyTheTerrible, our GP and a friend's GP did recommend the vaccine for our babies/toddlers.

bovril wrote: »
    Interesting @IvyTheTerrible, our GP and a friend's GP did recommend the vaccine for our babies/toddlers.
    I'm in France, and I get the impression it's less talked about over here.
    It seems to be considered as one of those diseases that you should get as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

I didn't get the vaccine for my young son however he got the pox a couple of weeks ago, he got them mild enough and is now over them.

Then there's me,I am an adult currently going through the chicken pox, if you are over 13 or so get the bloody vaccine! Horrific few days and i'm not over it yet. I had intended to get the vaccine but never got around to it.

In hindsight I would have got us both the vaccine. Him not so much as he's been in worse form with a cold but for myself for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I brought my one month old for her first GP check up yesterday, and he said he personally doesn't advise the vaccine for small children. However, if you get to 10 - 15 years old and have not had the chicken pox, he highly recommends the vaccine at that stage.

This is my plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm in France, and I get the impression it's less talked about over here.
    It seems to be considered as one of those diseases that you should get as a child.

That's the way it's bought up and in fact only head about the vaccine recently

Advertisement