Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guarantor required?

Options
  • 14-03-2016 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

Every time I reply on a house I get the question of a guarantor, which is like a parent or so but I don't have anyone.
    What is the deal with the guarantor, I have a job I get paid and I pay deposit.. is this really required?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

http://www.housingadviceni.org/tags/guarantor

Seems fairly normal, do you not have a reference? It also mentions young people, students and temporary employment as situations where guarantors normally crop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

http://www.housingadviceni.org/tags/guarantor

Seems fairly normal, do you not have a reference? It also mentions young people, students and temporary employment as situations where guarantors normally crop up.

I am 31... don't think its that young. and I won't be on a temporary employment.
    And Yes I do have references but those are in ROI not NI

Asmooh wrote: »
    I am 31... don't think its that young. and I won't be on a temporary employment.
    And Yes I do have references but those are in ROI not NI

It's probably because you're foreign and haven't lived in NI before. They're entitled to ask for a guarantor. You could try offering a larger deposit instead?

It's probably because you're foreign and haven't lived in NI before. They're entitled to ask for a guarantor. You could try offering a larger deposit instead?

Think so, but I'm not giving them too much since I don't have any guarantee either.

Think so, but I'm not giving them too much since I don't have any guarantee either.

There's a deposit protection scheme in the North, if that gives you any comfort.

It might be the only way you could secure a place if everywhere is looking for a guarantor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,905 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You aren't going to get anywhere, then

If you think the housing issue down here is bad its significantly worse in certain parts of NI. Landlords can be very, very picky.

L1011 wrote: »
    You aren't going to get anywhere, then

If you think the housing issue down here is bad its significantly worse in certain parts of NI. Landlords can be very, very picky.

lucky my new employer helps me with this, but I was looking already in advance :)

Advertisement