Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken premium headphones

Options
  • 14-03-2016 11:31am
    Administrators Posts: 53,849 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

In September 2015 I bought a pair of wireless gaming headphones off Amazon (it was one of those fulfilled by Amazon but sold by someone else things).

They cost me about 300 quid and are probably top of the range when it comes to consumer, mainstream gaming headphones.

Since about December they have been freezing randomly for me. When I say freezing, I mean I cannot adjust volume and the headset microphone doesn't work. Effectively, they don't work during this time. There is no way to hard reboot them when they freeze, I have to wait until the battery fully discharges every time (about 8 hours).

I sent them back to the manufacturer for repair in February. They couldn't find a fault and sent them back to me without any repair.

When I got them back, they started freezing again within a day or two.

I have got onto the manufacturer again, and they say they will not do anything unless they can reproduce the issue on their end. I have a video that shows them frozen (to prove that it's happening) but they aren't really interested. I'm about to post them back again (at my own cost for the second time) for another chance at a repair. They're heavy, so posting each time is costing me about 15 quid.

Further more, a quick google will show this is a widespread issue with this model of headset. This isn't unique to just me.

They are claiming it could be something in my environment causing it to freeze, I fail to see what and I do not think that expensive headphones like this should be prone to this sort of failure. They tried to say it could be the USB port that they're plugged into, I've tried different ones to no avail. I've tried changing my wifi channel to ensure there's no conflicting frequencies (my router is 2.4ghz anyway and the headphones use the 5ghz band).

What are my rights here with regard to demanding a replacement if they cannot reproduce the fault on their end? On one hand I see that they are concerned about frivolous replacements, but on the other hand this is clearly a widespread issue and IMO the price of these headphones means they should just work all the time.

The company is based in the UK, if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

What operating system are you using or is it on a console? Updates to Windows sometimes cause problems to both audio drivers & USB. Have you tried using them on other people's devices to confirm it's not a problem with yours?

• Administrators Posts: 53,849 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Custardpi wrote: »
    What operating system are you using or is it on a console? Updates to Windows sometimes cause problems to both audio drivers & USB. Have you tried using them on other people's devices to confirm it's not a problem with yours?

It's Xbox. I have the latest firmware from the manufacturer.

I've nobody else to try them with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Have you communicated with Amazon? When I had an issue with a 'fulfilled by amazon' product a couple of months ago they issued a return authorisation immediately.

Graham wrote: »
    Have you communicated with Amazon? When I had an issue with a 'fulfilled by amazon' product a couple of months ago they issued a return authorisation immediately.

Haven't yet, but when I go to the returns page it says it's no longer eligible for return. I'll try chatting with them to see if they'll still refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Amazon are pretty good even when it says your gone past return date get onto their webchat and they should sort your out.
    Not sure what brand your using, I had a set of turtle beach with the Xbox wirelessly and hadn't any bother with them.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Haven't yet, but when I go to the returns page it says it's no longer eligible for return. I'll try chatting with them to see if they'll still refund.

Mine was the same, 30 seconds on chat and they issued the return.

Amazon have issued a refund! Ha, should have checked with them before making this thread :D

Long live Amazon!

awec wrote: »
    Amazon have issued a refund! Ha, should have checked with them before making this thread :D

Long live Amazon!

You just can't argue with customer service like that.

Advertisement