Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Closure Orders

Options
  • 14-03-2016 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

i thought about not putting this up here but i've decided to without mentioning the name of the establishment.

a takeaway in Swords I order regularly from was added to the latest food closure list last week under the following legislation:

EC (Official Control of
    Foodstuffs) Regulations
    2010 (S.I. No. 117 of
    2010)

Problem with that list is that it doesnt say why the place was closed, how long for (1 hour, 1 day etc) or give any information at all.

Does anyone in the know, know how to find out the reason for closure? Or is that specific information never made public?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

If you won't name them and I can't see why not can you put up a link where we can see the list of places being served with closure orders

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭robbe

I've never seen any full reports as to why - the establishment in question doesn't have a date on which the closure order was lifted so I imagine it's still closed. It's under the control of foodstuffs regulations - there are other distinctions in other closure orders on the fsai website but unfair to speculate....typically these appear in the journal.ie a few days after they're published but I've never seen any more detailed info than what's available on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

robbe wrote: »
    I've never seen any full reports as to why - the establishment in question doesn't have a date on which the closure order was lifted so I imagine it's still closed. It's under the control of foodstuffs regulations - there are other distinctions in other closure orders on the fsai website but unfair to speculate....typically these appear in the journal.ie a few days after they're published but I've never seen any more detailed info than what's available on the website.

i didnt even notice the 'date lifted' column! Such a pity they don't put the reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Wow, I am really surprised at that. I regularly used to get orders from them.
    Must still be closed as if you try and look at their website it is offline

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭robbe

It would certainly help allay the fears created by an imagination running riot as to what it could be if they did publish the reasoning....only time they seem to is when they prosecute as was the case with a well known pub near Croke park a while back....I ordered from them only the once years ago and found the quality was much poorer than the restaurant (only found out afterwards it was from a different premises - not even sure how they are connected).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I have to second putting up a link - if it's listed on the FSAI website, what's wrong with saying it here?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

https://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Monitoring_and_Enforcement/Enforcement/Enforcement-Orders-Closure.pdf

Indie at Home, date served 8th March, as of now not lifted, excerpt from the pdf below.

7vKdjMC.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Only got a takeaway from them on Friday. Must be pretty serious if they were closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Tropheus wrote: »
    Only got a takeaway from them on Friday. Must be pretty serious if they were closed.

JAYSUS !!! The order was served on the 8th March and you got a takeaway on the 11th March. Should it not be closed down the day the order was served ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Closures can be for a day or 2 and can be for relatively minor issues and are lifted as soon as fixed (storage problems, broken machines etc)

• Advertisement

JAYSUS !!! The order was served on the 8th March and you got a takeaway on the 11th March. Should it not be closed down the day the order was served ?

Just realised the date on the site. They obviously lifted the order, but have yet to update their list.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..Must be pretty serious if they were closed.
    Not necessarily - the FSAI may have brought something to their attention a while back (which in itself didn't necessitate a closure order) but the premises may have failed to take any action by a given date.

Not necessarily - the FSAI may have brought something to their attention a while back (which in itself didn't necessitate a closure order) but the premises may have failed to take any action by a given date.

Still pretty poor. A well run establishment shouldn't have such issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just to close this off it was lifted on the 12th March and as some of the lads have noted they can be granted for stuff that doesn't necessarily mean there was anything really wrong with the food they were supplying, could be something was damaged, a fly screen had holes in it, tbh it would be fairer on the public and the restaurants if they gave more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

When they're served with an order to close, is a notice placed on their window until they're allowed reopen?

It's interesting that the site now says that the order was lifted on the 12th. I had a takeaway delivered from them on the 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Maybe they used the Indie Spice restaurant kitchen in the interim?

Also, sometimes they issue partial closure orders whereby a particular part of the premises (eg, a store room) cannot be used, but the rest of the premises is unaffected. The link above doesn't say though.

it's not fair on a premises (and the public too i suppose) that they don't give a reason. It just makes people wonder and can lose them customers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

it's not fair on a premises (and the public too i suppose) that they don't give a reason. It just makes people wonder and can lose them customers

I agree with you, it's very unfair. This won't put me off Indie Spice - the restaurant or Indie At Home :)

Interesting article this morning shedding light on "closures" and how they should be reported.

http://dublininquirer.com/2016/03/16/dublins-burrito-crisis-bad-food-bad-regulation-or-bad-journalism/

• Advertisement

Interesting article this morning shedding light on "closures" and how they should be reported.

http://dublininquirer.com/2016/03/16/dublins-burrito-crisis-bad-food-bad-regulation-or-bad-journalism/

So the only way to obtain official information about why a premises was issued with a closure order is via the Freedom of Information Act. That is so bad but typically Irish.

They should look to introduce something along the lines of when a premises is issued with a closure order, they can sign a waiver that allows the reason for closure to be published along with the public notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

So the only way to obtain official information about why a premises was issued with a closure order is via the Freedom of Information Act. That is so bad but typically Irish.

They should look to introduce something along the lines of when a premises is issued with a closure order, they can sign a waiver that allows the reason for closure to be published along with the public notice.

its simple its because of European Communities (Official Control of Foodstuffs) Regulations 2010 ( S.I. No 117 of 2010) https://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Legislation/Food_Legisation_Links/Official_Control_Of_Foodstuffs/SI117_2010.pdf

Advertisement