Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway

Options
  • 14-03-2016 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Am looking for a cycling routes to do with my kiddies over Easter Break.

Does anyone know if the Deise Greenway will be open for Easter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Not all of it, but they aim to open sections as they are complete.

Clonea to Ballyvoile is due to be opened this month (it might already be open).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

noby wrote: »
    Not all of it, but they aim to open sections as they are complete.

Clonea to Ballyvoile is due to be opened this month (it might already be open).

Not oficially open yet but a lot of people on it. Was there myself on Sunday for a walk, it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Roanmore wrote: »
    Not oficially open yet but a lot of people on it. Was there myself on Sunday for a walk, it was great.

Thanks Roanmore. Is the surface good enough for my very skinny road bike tyres? At the moment, we are planning on going to do the greenway in Mayo, but I really want to do Waterford. But it needs to be a safe greenway for the kiddies.

D.

Dummy wrote: »
    Thanks Roanmore. Is the surface good enough for my very skinny road bike tyres? At the moment, we are planning on going to do the greenway in Mayo, but I really want to do Waterford. But it needs to be a safe greenway for the kiddies.

D.

AFAIK the finished surface is tar mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thanks Noby. We'll take the chance & go to the Sunny South East so.

• Advertisement

Sure is, very smooth. Although I didn't travel the whole section to be fair. Hope to do it before the weekend is out.

Photo of part of the track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rogcaler

Watch out for all the dog s**t, seemingly a big problem on it from dog walkers, and acknowledged by the Greenway itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

rogcaler wrote: »
    Watch out for all the dog s**t, seemingly a big problem on it from dog walkers, and acknowledged by the Greenway itself.

Typical :mad: . The council should make an example out of a few dog owners leaving the crap behind and slap them with a massive fine and it will quickly stop

lertsnim wrote: »
    Typical :mad: . The council should make an example out of a few dog owners leaving the crap behind and slap them with a massive fine and it will quickly stop

If a dog is going to go move them off the bloody path, there is plenty of room either side of the tarmac so there is no excuse. Having said that anyone who takes their dog out without a bag probably doesn't give a toss anyway.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

It's absolutely terrible on the Bilberry section towards Carriganore. Worst I've ever seen. It's everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I plan to be in Dunmore Easy in July for two weeks, where would be the best place to access the greenway? Any suggestions much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

The Council has decided to spend an extra 250k on special microchip cameras for the Deise Greenway to detect and fine owners of any unchipped craping dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

@ DubOnHoliday
    I would imagine that the easiest place for you to head to would be the entrance at the start of the Greenway in Waterford City (Bilberry entrance).

You could also access the greenway from the little laneway out by Mount Congreve, although I'm not sure about parking spaces down there. Another option might be to access the greenway from the steam train station at Kilmeaden.
    Hopefully the poster called Deise Greenway will spot your post & be able to give more specific details about the handiest access points for you. It really is a fabulous amenity.

I hope you & your family enjoy your holiday in the sunny south-east (rain lashing down here as I type this reply, but am sure there won't be so much as a drop falling in July :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

LOTS of walkers, joggers, runners & cyclists on the Greenway yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

LOTS of walkers, joggers, runners & cyclists on the Greenway yesterday.

Is the full stretch open yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Not until much later in the year, I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Fishy1 wrote: »
    @ DubOnHoliday
    I would imagine that the easiest place for you to head to would be the entrance at the start of the Greenway in Waterford City (Bilberry entrance).

You could also access the greenway from the little laneway out by Mount Congreve, although I'm not sure about parking spaces down there. Another option might be to access the greenway from the steam train station at Kilmeaden.
    Hopefully the poster called Deise Greenway will spot your post & be able to give more specific details about the handiest access points for you. It really is a fabulous amenity.

I hope you & your family enjoy your holiday in the sunny south-east (rain lashing down here as I type this reply, but am sure there won't be so much as a drop falling in July :) )

I just caught up with this now. Thanks for the reply and advice. We holiday in Waterford every summer, for me staying and spending local is a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LightHugger

For anybody still looking for info re Dungarvan end of the Greenway, currently there's a 10.6k section you can walk/cycle, starting at the Eurospar in Dungarvan, and ending at a crossroads in a townland called Durrow. This includes a 360mtr section of tunnel (lights not working yet) so bring a torch!

There's a couple of gates closed across the track, in a few places along the route, but there's a gap in the fence at the side of each of them, so they are easy to get around (no climbing required). I guess these gated bits are not 'officially' open yet, but lots of people are using them & they look fully completed.

Re the surface, the Dungarvan end is good quality smooth tarmac. As you get towards Durrow, there's several stretches that are 'tar & chip' which is a bit rougher, but still OK for cycling on.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭NLC1072

I've started a group on Facebook called "Waterford Greenway casual cycle group" if that helps anybody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭NLC1072

I have been given the permission by work to spread that Halfords Waterford, on their Facebook Page titled the same, is giving away €250 Euro towards any hybrid bike in store for the Greenway. On top of this there will be 10% off ANY new bike and 20% off ANY cycle servicing. Just get the voucher off of our page and bring it in (screenshot is fine also!).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was on the Greenway on Sunday, from Durrow to the coast, and I was hugely impressed. It was completely clean, though there were a number of dogs. There were so many people! Families enjoying the facility, couples, cyclists all very courteous and co-operative. Only two cyclists, apparently tourists with large panniers on their bikes, were travelling much faster than was reasonable given the number of people and children around, otherwise it all worked very well. It is very easy walking and even in the winter, lots to look at.

It was so nice to see an excellent facility being so well used, congratulations! A small suggestion, some small direction and distance signs would be good - we thought we were walking towards Kilmacthomas, but in fact we were already the other side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

looksee wrote: »
    I was on the Greenway on Sunday, from Durrow to the coast, and I was hugely impressed. It was completely clean, though there were a number of dogs. There were so many people! Families enjoying the facility, couples, cyclists all very courteous and co-operative. Only two cyclists, apparently tourists with large panniers on their bikes, were travelling much faster than was reasonable given the number of people and children around, otherwise it all worked very well. It is very easy walking and even in the winter, lots to look at.

It was so nice to see an excellent facility being so well used, congratulations! A small suggestion, some small direction and distance signs would be good - we thought we were walking towards Kilmacthomas, but in fact we were already the other side of it.

Good point, plus signs indicating the names of the bridges and crossings might be a good idea.

Heading out from Clonea they have signs and info next to some of the trees etc., so I would assume the intention is to have more signs/maps along the route.

The fairy doors between Durrow and the tunnel are a nice touch and kept the kids entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Hi folks, Does anyone know how open this is from the Waterford city side? It says opening in March 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

I haven't been on it for a while, but the official opening for the complete greenway route is set for the 25th of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Fishy1 wrote: »
    I haven't been on it for a while, but the official opening for the complete greenway route is set for the 25th of March.

Thanks. I got a reply from the greenway group when I asked the question. So is it closed off entirely to the public at the minute from the city side. I'm down that way tomorrow and would have taken a spin along it but don't fancy driving out to Kilmacthomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Went on it last weekend. Realised a bell is a must on a bike to overtake, as some people tended to wander all over the place or take up the width of the whole path in spite of signage telling them to keep left! You wouldn't mind kids but adults should know better.

Nice facility, but weeds are getting a bit out of control in spots, including poisonous Ragwort. They're spreading seeds now as well...

I see km posts of pleasing appearance have been installed and crossing places named and distances to main points indicated which is a nice touch. Some of the fencing and walls here and there look overly modern and out of place with other features, the traditional style red painted gates look well. The lighting in the old tunnel refuges is a good idea.

It would have been nice to replicate the original railway mile posts (think they started at 0 miles in Mallow and increased towards Waterford) but that would only confuse people not au fait with the railway.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Went on it last weekend. Realised a bell is a must on a bike to overtake, as some people tended to wander all over the place or take up the width of the whole path in spite of signage telling them to keep left! You wouldn't mind kids but adults should know better.

Nice facility, but weeds are getting a bit out of control in spots, including poisonous Ragwort. They're spreading seeds now as well...

I see km posts of pleasing appearance have been installed and crossing places named and distances to main points indicated which is a nice touch. Some of the fencing and walls here and there look overly modern and out of place with other features, the traditional style red painted gates look well. The lighting in the old tunnel refuges is a good idea.

It would have been nice to replicate the original railway mile posts (think they started at 0 miles in Mallow and increased towards Waterford) but that would only confuse people not au fait with the railway.

Yeah the Greenway is awesome but those stretches with big huge concrete walls are very out of place. They've added climbers to them so over time they'll covered over with ivy etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I see a SF councillor wants to charge €5 for parking for those using the Greenway . For feck sake - its bringing in huge amounts of tourists and business is thriving. Leave it off for once

Advertisement