Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an Iphone 6s on adverts

• 14-03-2016 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

Its my sons birthday soon enough,

Seen an Iphone 6s 64gb on adverts, new with packaging etc. Seller has about 10 good feedback, mainly selling phones etc.

What are the pitfalls if I but this phone. the Imei checks out on apple warranty, phone registered since mid feb. No receipt available

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The main issue as I see is lack of receipt but as Apple will (I'm not 100% on this though) honour the warranty without receipt it's probably ok.

Meet with seller and inspect phone, you can still walk away if you're not 100% he's kosher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

mad m wrote: »
    Its my sons birthday soon enough,

Seen an Iphone 6s 64gb on adverts, new with packaging etc. Seller has about 10 good feedback, mainly selling phones etc.

What are the pitfalls if I but this phone. the Imei checks out on apple warranty, phone registered since mid feb. No receipt available

Only a few weeks old and no receipt? Bought directly from Apple ? I would assume it would be easy enough to get a receipt re printed for peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Normally you get the invoice by email, and it will show in your AppleID.
    So if the person was the first person that bought it he should have the receipt anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Asmooh wrote: »
    Normally you get the invoice by email, and it will show in your AppleID.
    So if the person was the first person that bought it he should have the receipt anyway

Don't worry about the receipt. Apple will honour warranty without one.
    Good feedback on adverts supersedes everything IMO.
    As has been said, check it out, factory reset & disassociate any icloud ID.
    Bring nano SIM to verify its good on your network of choice.
    If it's too cheap, steer clear but with good positive feedback, I wouldn't worry.
    Great phone; very generous present !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

dodzy wrote: »
    very generous present !

I suppose you only turn 18 once, but he is contributing to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Major problem for me would be if it goes wrong after 12 months. 2nd hand sale so no claiming under Sale of Goods Act if it goes wrong. Same goes if bought outside Ireland.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Major problem for me would be if it goes wrong after 12 months. 2nd hand sale so no claiming under Sale of Goods Act if it goes wrong. Same goes if bought outside Ireland.
    Sometimes it's better to look at the glass as half full as opposed to half empty. I'd say this is one of those cases. Iphones are relatively bullet-proof.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

dodzy wrote: »
    Sometimes it's better to look at the glass as half full as opposed to half empty. I'd say this is one of those cases. Iphones are relatively bullet-proof.

I'm looking for my third replacement now of a less than 18 month old 6.....If I was in this situation as the OP, I'd be SOL.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Is the presence of a receipt not more about it not being stolen than the warranty?

quarryman wrote: »
    Is the presence of a receipt not more about it not being stolen than the warranty?
    despite the gobshítes that infest the place, adverts solid positive feedback holds great merit in my book and from a buyers prospective, there is nothing more important.

• Advertisement
Advertisement