Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost of building a house in 2016/17

• 14-03-2016 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

What would be the cost per sqm of building a house in 2016? Single story/Dormer style. It will be in the country (Offaly) on a flat site. As I am an architectural technologist there would be no Architects fees, I will be submitting the application myself. No BCAR.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

€1500 per Sq. M at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Alpha99

kceire wrote: »

That seems a lot... I would have thought that there are now cheaper options in terms of modular housing and prefabricated housing, and I would have thought technology would bring the costs of new builds down... but apparently not.

Does anyone know how much roofing alone would cost. I have an old house, and the rafters are rotted to bits. I've had it patched, and I'm looking to have the whole roof replaced within the next few years. Would anyone be able to guide me on what I would be looking at for such a project in Dublin in 2016 per sq. m.

Thank you all...

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Excluding prof fees we just received our prices in from contractors- 160 p square metre and this excludes kitchen, floor materials and sanitaryware. External paving etc will not be included- just the very basic outside. Granted we've a high spec house, high level of air tightness but prices came in higher than we (and our arch) thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

I would echo previous posters as someone who has recently been pricing up my own new build.
    If your going contractor route your looking at €1400 to €1600 per sm depending on size spec. etc.
    For direct labour €1000 to €1200.
    I'm afraid the days of building a house for half nothing (ie. €75 per sqft) are over.

MizMix wrote: »
    Excluding prof fees we just received our prices in from contractors- 160 p square metre and this excludes kitchen, floor materials and sanitaryware. External paving etc will not be included- just the very basic outside. Granted we've a high spec house, high level of air tightness but prices came in higher than we (and our arch) thought.

Presume you mean €1600 per square meter?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

I'm afraid the days of building a house for half nothing (ie. €75 per sqft) are over.

Did they ever exist? It was only when people had free labour or rates mates that anyone was achieving this level in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Tefral

I have to say i disagree with this. Its more like €1300/m2. We are rattling out about ten houses a week in our place and the tenders are coming in around 1200-1300 for the North Tipp region, so Offaly prices would be similar.

cronin_j wrote: »
    I have to say i disagree with this. Its more like €1300/m2. We are rattling out about ten houses a week in our place and the tenders are coming in around 1200-1300 for the North Tipp region, so Offaly prices would be similar.

Dublin would be more expensive that the counties you have quoted. So ogress my quote would carry a premium over those counties.
    Sometimes €1500 per Sq. M doesn't even cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Presume you mean €1600 per square meter?

Yes ;) We're not in Dublin. I agree though our price is higher than average- it's not a straightforward build, lots of glazing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AMull123

HI, Can anyone tell me how the builder prices, is it per sqm for the first floor and then he adds the sqm of the top floor as well.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

AMull123 wrote: »
    HI, Can anyone tell me how the builder prices, is it per sqm for the first floor and then he adds the sqm of the top floor as well.
    Thanks

Depends on the job.
    The quotes posted here are BALLPARK ESTIMATES and used to advised anonymous posters on the Internet a ballpark area that the build could be in.

For example if you want to build a 40 Sq. M extension in Dublin and 60k is well out of budget then you know you have to reduces the floor plan or increase the budget. It's not designed for people to go and get accurate costings for a particular build.

For a builder to quote he needs drawings for the most part.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

AMull123 wrote: »
    Thanks

Stop! don't spam multiple threads asking the same thing. welcome to boards btw please read the forum charter http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036302

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lulucas

Looking for help.. Looking to build a bunglow on own site 1acre Laois area.... House is 3 bed about 1200sqft. What would the cost to build to finish be on this... Are u better to get a contractor or self build.. Thanks in advance

Lulucas wrote: »
    Looking for help.. Looking to build a bunglow on own site 1acre Laois area.... House is 3 bed about 1200sqft. What would the cost to build to finish be on this... Are u better to get a contractor or self build.. Thanks in advance
    contractor
    I suggest this based only on the post above where I'm not seeing any interest in spending the next two years / 18hrs a day, getting into the detail

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Builder Ben

My 2cents from a self build-
    House size - 210m2
    Foundations - ran into problems and had to pile
    Spec: split level, concrete 1st floor slab, aluclad triple glazed windows, 200mm external wall insulation, uf heating and heat pump, built with passive Airtightness in mind (yet to be tested), 50m2 external cedar cladding

Costs: has worked out at €1200/m2 finished to a reasonable spec (mid range good quality fixtures and fittings) including the council/ESB fees.

I might just add that I have put a lot of blood, sweat and at times, close to tears into the build. It has taken 14 months and all my holidays and spare time has been devoted to the house.

I could have had a builder in and possibly finished in 8 months, saving me €6600 in rent but for the level of finish that I have probably would have ended up more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 wex13

House size - 210m2
    Spec: split level, concrete 1st floor slab, aluclad triple glazed windows, 200mm external wall insulation, uf heating and heat pump, built with passive Airtightness in mind (yet to be tested), 50m2 external cedar cladding

Costs: has worked out at €1200/m2 finished to a reasonable spec (mid range good quality fixtures and fittings) including the council/ESB fees.

I might just add that I have put a lot of blood, sweat and at times, close to tears into the build. It has taken 14 months and all my holidays and spare time has been devoted to the house.

I could have had a builder in and possibly finished in 8 months, saving me €6600 in rent but for the level of finish that I have probably would have ended up more expensive.

Hi ben
    Sounds great. What part of the country did you build in, does your cost include architects fees and septic tank, and is it a straight foward 2 storey box? Sorry for all the questions!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

House size - 210m2

Many thanks for your post and it is always great to see clear and concise reality put into posts in terms of the time input. A great deal of people do not realise this at the outset and this is why it is not always a fair comparison between self build and contractor pricing. One way or another this time has a cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Hi Guys,

Been reading through this thread and i was wondering if some one can help me. Currently in the middle of planning a house. The plan we have picked is a 2600-2700 sq ft h shaped bungalow with two A framed roofs. Some people have said that building a bungalow is a lot more expensive then building a two story of similar size. In the experience of people on here is that the case? I'm expecting an additional expense due to the bigger roof area and additional external walls. But some people have said were talking 10's of thousands more expensive. This is a house we love but we have to be realistic about finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Been reading through this thread and i was wondering if some one can help me. Currently in the middle of planning a house. The plan we have picked is a 2600-2700 sq ft h shaped bungalow with two A framed roofs. Some people have said that building a bungalow is a lot more expensive then building a two story of similar size. In the experience of people on here is that the case? I'm expecting an additional expense due to the bigger roof area and additional external walls. But some people have said were talking 10's of thousands more expensive. This is a house we love but we have to be realistic about finance.

I'd say in general you are probably right that the smaller footprint and roof of a two story reduces costs a bit. I'm not sure how much. If you had say a 150sqm rectangular bungalow with an approx footprint of 15m x 10m against a 150sqm rectangular 2 story with a approx footprint of 10m x 7.5m, what impact would it really have on price.

I'm sure that each sqm of space whether up or down costs pretty much similar regardless.

Another question is air-tightness and insulation. It might (not sure) be easier (possibly cheaper) to achieve this in a single story house.

Be interesting to take that example above (assuming same number of rooms) and estimate the difference. There's lots to consider in a addition to the foundation and roof. Plumbing, electrics, heavier timbers (bison) to support the second floor, stairs, insulation, dormers, velux, excape windows, etc.

Someone with construction experience will give a better reply.

gooner99 wrote: »
    I'd say in general you are probably right that the smaller footprint and roof of a two story reduces costs a bit. I'm not sure how much. If you had say a 150sqm rectangular bungalow with an approx footprint of 15m x 10m against a 150sqm rectangular 2 story with a approx footprint of 10m x 7.5m, what impact would it really have on price.

I'm sure that each sqm of space whether up or down costs pretty much similar regardless.

Another question is air-tightness and insulation. It might (not sure) be easier (possibly cheaper) to achieve this in a single story house.

Be interesting to take that example above (assuming same number of rooms) and estimate the difference. There's lots to consider in a addition to the foundation and roof. Plumbing, electrics, heavier timbers (bison) to support the second floor, stairs, insulation, dormers, velux, excape windows, etc.

Someone with construction experience will give a better reply.
    Thanks for your reply the house we have planned is essentialy two bungalows roughly 100 sq meters each and both are connected by a centre hallway to give a H shape. Would like it well insulated and sealed. The other option we were looking at is pretty much a rectangular two story with a hip roof around 250 sq meters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply the house we have planned is essentialy two bungalows roughly 100 sq meters each and both are connected by a centre hallway to give a H shape. Would like it well insulated and sealed. The other option we were looking at is pretty much a rectangular two story with a hip roof around 250 sq meters.

Excluding construction costs for a minute, a "H" shaped house is one of the worst shapes you could have if you want an energy efficient design. And in a bungalow format, is worse again.

True. I'd say in the advent of low energy and passive houses a boring rectangular house is easiest to detail. Of course you can compensate with some nice window shapes and detailing.

Thanks for your reply micktheman. I didn't realise that. Do you think a box shaped two story with a hip roof could be built more energy efficient. We were thinking about something like this 09a8bc38-d036-4a83-b7c5-69801cc840ea_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Yes, the more compact the better.

Yep. I'd say most will echo that a 2 story rectangular box is the way to go. A good architect should also be abie to give you what you need is a moderate size. Remember every extra sqm will cost you. I remember someone saying that anyone can design a large house as they just need to move walls out and that It takes more skill to design everything you want in a smaller house. Good idea might be to get a bugetary quote or have a qs do a bugetary calculation prior to submitting planning. This won't give you 100% accurate pricing, but may give a good idea of what you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Cost Example from this week.

LOCATION - North East Area

Average to High specification for the building fabric
    Design complexity for both would be Medium
    1. 1606 sq ft 237k inc VAT 1588 per sq M
    2. 5218 sq ft 594k in VAT 1225 per sq M

Exclusions
    Internal works
    • Tiling to floors and walls.
    • All painting and decorating.
    • Installation of all internal floors finishes ( Timber, carpet, lino etc)
    • All bedroom kitchen and utility units.
    External Works
    • New Entrance: Front piers, wing walls aco drains/cattle grid and gates.
    • Top soiling and seeding of gardens.
    • Kerbing and driveway finishes

Connection Charges
    Development levies
    Professional fee etc.

5000sqft

Why?

Nursing home?

McGregors new pad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

BryanF wrote: »
    5000sqft

Why?

Nursing home?

Guesthouse AKA a small hotel :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Has there been a huge increase in tender quotes people are getting back? We've been tendering for a single story extension on a house in Dublin 16, and the quotes have been shocking, firstly for the disparity between them - the highest quotes are 50/60% higher than the lowest ones - and then even the lowest quote has been 2,600 per sqm. No gold plated jacuzzi's or anything in the plan...

Maybe we've been just been very unlucky with the companies we've approached, how best to source a reputable list of contractors to approach?

Advertisement