Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost of building a house in 2016/17

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dfader

Hi All,
    Used these forums a bit when researching my own build in Co.Sligo so thought I'd return the favour and share;
    Moved into our new build in summer. 2200sq ft Masonry two story, Masonry 200mm cavity A2 with A2W heatpump, underfloor both floors and MVHR.
    Total cost €235,000 so €107 per square foot including all planning fees, solicitor, Engineers, group water connection fee, insurance, ESB connection, BER cert and a €2400 steeltech shed.

Using a Contractor, who built it, roofed it, slated it - man made slates, did wastewater and drainage, plastered it - all Napp - no stone cladding, did all carpentry. His contract came to €155,000

I took out of his contract €78,000 worth of the works which included;

Windows & External Doors, PVC triple glazed throughout €11,250
    Kitchen units €6,500
    Utility units €1,600
    Vanity unit upstairs toilet €300
    Appliances €2,795
    Stove in living room (Supply = €599 + 200 fitting) €800
    Stove heart €540
    Tiling floors & wall tiles materials €5,418
    Tiling labour €2,500
    Laminate Materials €2,182
    Carpet stairs and landing €870
    Painting inside materials €418
    Painting inside labour €1,550
    Airtightness test €338
    Airtightness materials €1,000
    Airtightness labout (€0 - myself)
    Plumbing & Heating €16,718
    Sanitary ware €2,700
    Mechanical ventilation units €5,100
    Alarm €300
    Gate €1,150
    Furniture €3,890 - we had some stuff already like sofas
    Steeltech Shed €2,400
    Digger take out ditch at front €200
    shed screed €150
    ESB connecton €1,967
    Council Contribution €2,519
    Engineers fee €2,760
    Solicitors fee (€1952 - €1500 from bank) €452
    Provisional BER cert €450
    Home Insurance €515
    Eircom €100

House fully finished inside, no paths or kerbing outside, not including lawns. Does includes piers for gate.
    I got a QS to budget estimate it before we commenced and he was 8% over what we completed it for. I do wonder now how much I could have saved by going the selfbuild route which is what most people around these parts seem to do - what you think? did we do alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

dfader wrote:
    Using a Contractor, who built it, roofed it, slated it - man made slates, did wastewater and drainage, plastered it - all Napp - no stone cladding, did all carpentry. His contract came to €155,000

Thanks for the breakdown on your costs dfader, very helpful as in the northwest region myself. Going to go self build ourselves but just wondering do you have the breakdown of the contractors costs. How was his 155000 price spent more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

dfader wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Used these forums a bit when researching my own build in Co.Sligo so thought I'd return the favour and share;
    Moved into our new build in summer. 2200sq ft Masonry two story, Masonry 200mm cavity A2 with A2W heatpump, underfloor both floors and MVHR.
    Total cost €235,000 so €107 per square foot including all planning fees, solicitor, Engineers, group water connection fee, insurance, ESB connection, BER cert and a €2400 steeltech shed.

Kitchen units €6,500
    Utility units €1,600
    Appliances €2,795
    Stove heart €540
    Tiling labour €2,500
    Airtightness test €338
    Sanitary ware €2,700
    Alarm €300
    Gate €1,150
    Steeltech Shed €2,400
    shed screed €150
    ESB connecton €1,967
    Engineers fee €2,760
    Home Insurance €515
    Eircom €100

House fully finished inside, no paths or kerbing outside, not including lawns. Does includes piers for gate.
    I got a QS to budget estimate it before we commenced and he was 8% over what we completed it for. I do wonder now how much I could have saved by going the selfbuild route which is what most people around these parts seem to do - what you think? did we do alright.

Who did you go with for windows? Thats a great price for plumbing does that include underfloor heating on two floors? Our council contribution is €6500 and engineer fees five thousand

TPF2012 wrote: »
    Thanks for the breakdown on your costs dfader, very helpful as in the northwest region myself. Going to go self build ourselves but just wondering do you have the breakdown of the contractors costs. How was his 155000 price spent more or less.

Sorry no I don't - that's his business. I prepared a very detailed tender package of over 22 drawings, specification, contract and schedule of works, which he tendered for and delivered as agreed. We had no cost disputed or overruns as the tender package was very well prepared and only very minor alterations were made during construction. In fact savings were made as the building was over specified in a couple of places like two steel beams that were specified in the tender drawings but not required.
    He opened site, excavated - there was a lot of excavations as sloping site - this is something that can cost considerably more that anticipated so be aware. He stoned all around the site - also be aware take more loads than you might think, he did foundations, ground floor, first floor, suspended ceilings, slabs skimming, insulation, entire structure, roof, facias, guttering etc plastered it, stairs, supplied and fitted all carpentry and joinery including iron munganry. Drainage and sewage plant and pods which were €5,500. did a slab for shed, water connection, all electrical. Basically everything other than what I have listed in my post.

If you invest in good tender documentation you should not have cost overruns in a new build as there are few unknowns - the only unknown is foundations depending on ground conditions, but if you allow for a raft there you will be hedging your bets there unless you suspect pile foundations are a possibility.

Always wondering how much I could have saved if i self built, anyone achieve better that €107 per square foot in northwest recently?

Who did you go with for windows? Thats a great price for plumbing does that include underfloor heating on two floors? Our council contribution is €6500 and engineer fees five thousand

The big complany in munster for triple glazed uPVC windows. Were the lowest u value and cheapest. Priced three others.

Yes, the breakdown of that was underfloor on both floors about €4000, heating plant about €8200 and domestic plumbing about €2400. We have no en-suites, just two bathrooms (one with shower, no bath). I would highly recommend the plumber too. Our heat pump was turned on mid October last - so far has used €410 electricity, but then we have a very efficient house:)

I was able to make a substantial saving on the Engineers cost so i would expect others Engineer fees to be about €2000-€3000 more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Great price. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Did you put in paths around house ?

sea12 wrote: »
    Great price. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Did you put in paths around house ?

No bother, no paths, intend finishing with gravel. What do you would you paths for?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Anything4883

The big complany in munster for triple glazed uPVC windows. Were the lowest u value and cheapest. Priced three others.

Yes, the breakdown of that was underfloor on both floors about €4000, heating plant about €8200 and domestic plumbing about €2400. We have no en-suites, just two bathrooms (one with shower, no bath). I would highly recommend the plumber too. Our heat pump was turned on mid October last - so far has used €410 electricity, but then we have a very efficient house:)

I was able to make a substantial saving on the Engineers cost so i would expect others Engineer fees to be about €2000-€3000 more.

Could you PM me the contractors details by any chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Hi All,

Kitchen units €6,500
    Utility units €1,600
    Appliances €2,795
    Stove heart €540
    Tiling labour €2,500
    Airtightness test €338
    Sanitary ware €2,700
    Alarm €300
    Gate €1,150
    Steeltech Shed €2,400
    shed screed €150
    ESB connecton €1,967
    Engineers fee €2,760
    Home Insurance €515
    Eircom €100

You did really well. We went down the self build route and the price per sqft was similar. Still finishing what may never be finished (outside work) so will share similar costing for the benefit of those starting out...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

What is included in a self-build mortgage? Is it just the cost of building the house or are CoCo development charges, connection charges, architect/engineer fees etc allowed to come from this pot of money?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Monife wrote: »
    What is included in a self-build mortgage? Is it just the cost of building the house or are CoCo development charges, connection charges, architect/engineer fees etc allowed to come from this pot of money?

Yes they're normally all able to be included as long as you keep within Loan to Value and Loan to Income limits

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

368100 wrote: »
    Yes they're normally all able to be included as long as you keep within Loan to Value and Loan to Income limits

What about things like light fixtures, appliances, furniture etc??? I am assuming landscaping and tarmac is anyway.
    We are relocating next year to Mayo to be closer to our families. Not much for sale (or rent) so now considering building and a site has just come up with full PP. Problem is the proposed house is 2500 sq foot so I am guessing around 250k to build which would be right on our limit and don't fancy living in a half finished house again.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

km79 wrote: »
    What about things like light fixtures, appliances, furniture etc??? I am assuming landscaping and tarmac is anyway.
    We are relocating next year to Mayo to be closer to our families. Not much for sale (or rent) so now considering building and a site has just come up with full PP. Problem is the proposed house is 2500 sq foot so I am guessing around 250k to build which would be right on our limit and don't fancy living in a half finished house again.........

Light fixtures yes, furnishings no. Think what would stay as part of the house if it was sold. Something to look into though is there are a few banks doing 2% cashback which would help in furnishings and you should check if youre eligible under help to buy scheme, i got approved for a new build. Thats up to 5% of the end value of the house as a tax rebate (assuming youve paid enough tax over the last 4 years)

368100 wrote: »
    Light fixtures yes, furnishings no. Think what would stay as part of the house if it was sold. Something to look into though is there are a few banks doing 2% cashback which would help in furnishings and you should check if youre eligible under help to buy scheme, i got approved for a new build. Thats up to 5% of the end value of the house as a tax rebate (assuming youve paid enough tax over the last 4 years)

Thanks not FTB so won’t qualify
    A lot of thinking to do on it either way

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lirael

Hi, may I ask - did you already have a site, or did you buy a site? How much, if possible to aks - did you pay for site? Thanks

Didn't buy that site in the end . It went quickly due to it having Full Planning.
    Another of greater interest has now come up which will be subject to planning. Almost every other house around it is a bungalow so I'd guess we would only get planning for same.
    All of our research thus far has been based on 2 storey/storey and a half .
    So what I'd like to know is - is a bungalow cheaper or dearer per square foot to build? I had assumed it would be cheaper as there would be no upstairs to hear and light BUT I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that due to the larger footprint and associated foundations and roof cover it may actually be dearer per square foot?????
    Whenever we get to planning we would be looking at around 2000 Sq foot plus a garage and would hope to build for 250k. Site would already have been bought separately
    We won't be building a dormer

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭ravendude

Didn't buy that site in the end . It went quickly due to it having Full Planning.
    Another of greater interest has now come up which will be subject to planning. Almost every other house around it is a bungalow so I'd guess we would only get planning for same.
    So what I'd like to know is - is a bungalow cheaper or dearer per square foot to build? I had assumed it would be cheaper as there would be no upstairs to hear and light BUT I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that due to the larger footprint and associated foundations and roof cover it may actually be dearer per square foot?????
    Whenever we get to planning we would be looking at around 2000 Sq foot plus a garage and would hope to build for 250k. Site would already have been bought separately

Dearer, more roof, more foundations

ravendude wrote: »

Dearer, more roof, more foundations
    Thanks
    Thought as much was hoping less glazing and hollowcore might offset it somewhat

We are making first tentative steps at purchasing next next week so will be back for more info hopefully in a month or 2 :))

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Hi All,

Very interesting! I don't see any mention of architects fees? Who drew up the various plans for you and carried out inspections?

You mention that overall price includes all planning fees, is this in the €155k or the €78k? Does it cover any surveys that needed to be carried out etc.

What did the engineers fee of €2,760 cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Country living 2019

Wegian wrote: »
    You did really well. We went down the self build route and the price per sqft was similar. Still finishing what may never be finished (outside work) so will share similar costing for the benefit of those starting out...

Hi Wegian,

I’m thinking of building in county Galway this year. Can I ask you what builder you used for your home as your price was reasonable.
    Funds are tight. Hence the question.

Hope you don’t mind letting me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Hi Wegian,

I’m thinking of building in county Galway this year. Can I ask you what builder you used for your home as your price was reasonable.
    Funds are tight. Hence the question.

Hope you don’t mind letting me know.

Hi, good luck with the new build. We did not get a builder, self build instead hence some saving. It now stands us 106 per sqft but we have quite a bit of expense still outside - boundary, tarmac, kerbing etc
    I am more than willing to share the tradesmen - feel free to DM me if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭techtom

Hi Guys,

Has any one got self build costs in county Kildare / Laois / Carlow / Kilkenny for 2018 or 2019.

I am starting a self build project and am investigating costs ? and the supply of Labour.

Gerry

Advertisement